knocking on the rear

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
hi guys theres a knocking on the rear of the car when i have passengers in the car and go over bumps! any ideas were and what i should be checking for?

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Check your back box is secure and in its correct position so that its not fouling on fuel tank shield or off the rear beam. Next thing I can think of is that your suspension could be bottoming out, maybe weak springs or perished bumpstop/spring assistors. It's hard to tell unless I hear or feel what you feel said master yoda. I take this problem is with the car in your avatar?

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
Ok cheers hoping to have it up on some ramps soon to check it out! No that's my old one but Iv got a new one but in a tdi this time!

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
The old one was well planted and could never get the front end to push out!
But new one wants to push the front end out all the time it's really bugging me! Iv got a feeling it maybe to much camber!

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The only thing that hasn't changed on mine are the antiroll bars. Tyres, springs, camber, bushes, dampers have all changed but she still feels like she is trending the same way. I found a thread about arbs and am going to pm the people that got it done to see if it pleased them. Any way, sorry for stealing your thread, just this is doing my head in as well. If I have people in the back my tailpipe will touch the ground going over speed bumps and bumpy ground. Is that the knocking you hear?

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
I got no idea I know the other car was only lowered 40mm I was looking at mine today which is 60mm and I noticed the wishbones are pointing up which carnt be good! Could try talking to a geomatery place?
Iv got no rear back box, but the hanger has snapped and the exhaust has been squashed abit :/

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
That could be your knocking noise. If the hanger is snapped then the exhaust could be fouling/vibrating on the floorpan. My exhaust needs reworked as I can hear it fouling on, the rear beam i think, when the suspension compresses.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members