Leon mirror detached? Advice?

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I've had 3 Leon's mk3 all 5 door,
2013 2.0tdi 150bhp
2016 1.8tsi (was returned after they damaged whilst servicing)
2016 1.4ecotsi 150bhp.

Anyway this latest one I bought last week and picked up just 2 days ago. When looking around the car the passanger door mirror was facing up in the air. I assume it was hit upwards in a car park or something! Where it was attached to the car, the top was touching, the bottom was over 1cm away! Anyway they agreed to have a look at this for me.

Anyway I got the car and they have managed to put the mirror on straight, but it's not tightly sealed to the car it's about 5mm away from the car and they said they wasn't sure why this was but were honest about it and told me before I looked at car, but I was more than welcome to take it back for they're body guy to take a look at it but he's on holiday until the 19th (he only goes there once a week). Its a pergeot dealer, they took car in part exchange, they're not use to working on these cars obviously.

I've had a local body guy take a look (I work with his wife) and he said he can take door card off and have a look (at a cost) or he can mask it all up and put car sealent/silicone around it to stop water from getting in, and he'd do that for free and make it look like the seal which is originally there so its a proper job (the seal is pushed into mirror arm slightly). He can't do either for 2 weeks as the weather on weekends isn't dry! (hell do it on side for me)

I just wanted to ask people's opinion? There is a tiny dent where the mirror bolt arms was pushed up but this isn't visible unless your looking into the gap, will be covered by mirror when sealed/reattached!

Is it worth sealing it or having done propally? We don't know why other garage could get straight but not on correctly! But he did say if he takes apart and somethings not right, he will only put back together propally even if needs new parts!
Does it matter if water gets in for next couple weeks? I assume door drain he's from windows will take care of it?
Where are the door drain holes? Guess bottom of door but can't find them

I will upload better light photos Tomorow, hopefully will be dry too!

Thank you for any help!
Sorry for long post

Attachments

• IMG_20201001_210540.jpg
    IMG_20201001_210540.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20201001_210651.jpg
    IMG_20201001_210651.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Looks like there are dents in the panel?

There are two tiny dents where the bolt arms pushed against when pointing up, when mirror is in propally you won't see them
Get it done properly.

will be okay for time being until original garage can fix
Thank you for your input!

I've added new photos in daylight, hard to get camera in good position.
Its probably less than 5mm away from car but I know its not right which is what bothers me

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_092948.jpg
    IMG_20201002_092948.jpg
    838.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20201002_092944.jpg
    IMG_20201002_092944.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20201002_092934.jpg
    IMG_20201002_092934.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20201002_092931.jpg
    IMG_20201002_092931.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20201002_092918.jpg
    IMG_20201002_092918.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 118

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If I were to make a wild guess, I'd think that to sort that correctly, and it will be worth doing this, that mirror needs to be removed, the distorted panel and maybe even stiffener behind it knocked back into the correct shape and the mirror refitted, hopefully as the damaged area is hidden no expensive paintwork correction is required, just treating and coating any area that has split paintwork - to stop rusting in the future. The door card/panel will need to be removed though I'd think to assess and start the reshaping of that area of the door skin and maybe even the door frame.

Reactions: gamerdood123

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
If I were to make a wild guess, I'd think that to sort that correctly, and it will be worth doing this, that mirror needs to be removed, the distorted panel and maybe even stiffener behind it knocked back into the correct shape and the mirror refitted, hopefully as the damaged area is hidden no expensive paintwork correction is required, just treating and coating any area that has split paintwork - to stop rusting in the future. The door card/panel will need to be removed though I'd think to assess and start the reshaping of that area of the door skin and maybe even the door frame.
Thank you for your in detailed response!

It was originally way up in the air, and obviously now fits straight but isn't tight to car.
The paint doesn't appear to be cracked, from what I can see! It looks like it is in one photo but that is actually the metal being visible from the mirror arm!

Its only very minorly away from door, I know panel gotta come off, but just to have it tighter will it really be all that work?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
When you think about it, if that area of the car has been subjected to sever force that has left that door mirror sticking out a bit, then the weakest area will be the door skin, so yes unfortunately I do think that it will need the door skin knocked back into shape and maybe even the area behind it - nothing is certain, only a full investigation would prove me right or wrong, guessing and hoping is not a good idea - I don't need to correct here, in fact if I was not it would be good but it does look like that is what will be found when it is taken apart.

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom
When you think about it, if that area of the car has been subjected to sever force that has left that door mirror sticking out a bit, then the weakest area will be the door skin, so yes unfortunately I do think that it will need the door skin knocked back into shape and maybe even the area behind it - nothing is certain, only a full investigation would prove me right or wrong, guessing and hoping is not a good idea - I don't need to correct here, in fact if I was not it would be good but it does look like that is what will be found when it is taken apart.

The photo looks dents look worse than they are admittedly! The rest of the panel looks dead straight, that's why my body friend said he'd personally just put car sealent around it and save hassle of taking apart but would do whatever I wanted!

Waiting for garage I got it from to call me back, they are usually quite good!
Photo with flash from above, makes dents look worse than they are

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_122141.jpg
    IMG_20201002_122141.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 102

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd still be prepared for that door skin needing knocked back into shape.

Edit:- I'd expect that if you just bodged it up with body sealant, it might look okay until someone/something lightly knocks its again and the bonding gives way and you are back to square one, a light knock after it is fixed properly should not do any lasting damage.

Reactions: gamerdood123

gamerdood123

Oct 1, 2020
United Kingdom

Edit:- I'd expect that if you just bodged it up with body sealant, it might look okay until someone/something lightly knocks its again and the bonding gives way and you are back to square one, a light knock after it is fixed properly should not do any lasting damage.

Again thank you for your help, I didn't think of it like that! Surprisingly since it isn't tight to the car, the wing mirror is on there very very strongly! No/little wobble

Anyway they said I can take it to one of they're other branches, about same distance from me but opposite direction and they would have they're body guy would take a look this Tuesday.

Fingers crossed!
Thanks again

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008

Yeah would also think it needs some gentle persuasion by a hammer