Leon mk3 estate vs hatchback

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
United Kingdom
Does the Leon mk3 estate have the same amount of room in the back seats as the hatchback but with a bigger boot, or is there more room in the back seats too? Family increasing in numbers so wanted something with more space in the rear, as well as a bigger boot, like a Passat or Superb estate.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Seating space is no different between hatch and ST. Only thing that is different is slightly more headroom due to the roof line line. Unless its got a sunroof then its less I believe (but not a lot).

Reactions: H Rafiq

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I’ve had a number of different estates from the VAG marques (Octavia Mk2s, Mk3s, Leon ST plus Volvo V50 and BMW 3 series F31). Also had a Focus estates through work.

All fairly similar size wise (less V50 which was tiny).

Believe it or not, although on paper the Leon ST has a slightly smaller boot than the Mk3 Octavia, the boot mat in the Octavia is smaller than the Leon ST and the Leon has the variable boot floor as standard. I specified the boot net option on the ST too, which I guess was fairly rare. This was not an option on Octavia, but was standard on Volvo, Focus and BMW and makes best use of the space. The BMW has a good feature where you can access the rear load area via the rear boot hatch or the glass only.

Really depends what you need to shift. 3 x car seats side by side is tight in all VAG cars and will probably need narrow boosters. If it’s pushchairs, then cheaper to look at a new pushchair and/or roof box rather than bigger car.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
United Kingdom
I’ve had a number of different estates from the VAG marques (Octavia Mk2s, Mk3s, Leon ST plus Volvo V50 and BMW 3 series F31). Also had a Focus estates through work.

All fairly similar size wise (less V50 which was tiny).

Believe it or not, although on paper the Leon ST has a slightly smaller boot than the Mk3 Octavia, the boot mat in the Octavia is smaller than the Leon ST and the Leon has the variable boot floor as standard. I specified the boot net option on the ST too, which I guess was fairly rare. This was not an option on Octavia, but was standard on Volvo, Focus and BMW and makes best use of the space. The BMW has a good feature where you can access the rear load area via the rear boot hatch or the glass only.

Really depends what you need to shift. 3 x car seats side by side is tight in all VAG cars and will probably need narrow boosters. If it’s pushchairs, then cheaper to look at a new pushchair and/or roof box rather than bigger car.
I can’t get the baby seat behind me when my seats in my driving position. It has to go behind the passenger seat, but the passenger seat has to be moved forward quite a bit, and straightened to accommodate. It’s okay when there’s no one in the front passenger seat but, most of the time, there is.

Have you ever had a Passat or Superb?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
If you haven't seen this already, it may be of some help: Leon ST/Octavia Estate/Superb Estate dimensions.
leon_octy.jpg

SuC_001_draw-1440x1018.jpg

Reactions: H Rafiq and SuperV8

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I can’t get the baby seat behind me when my seats in my driving position. It has to go behind the passenger seat, but the passenger seat has to be moved forward quite a bit, and straightened to accommodate. It’s okay when there’s no one in the front passenger seat but, most of the time, there is.

Passat and Superb do have more rear leg room - but they are both much longer overall than the Leon. (circa 20+cm & 30+cm respectively)
I have a Leon ST and two young daughters and never found a problem with our rear facing baby seat - but I know some are quite bulky. Also i'm 5'11 so I guess if you're tall there is also less space in the back.

With the price of second hand cars at the moment would be much cheaper to find a new baby seat which fits - than buying a new car to fit your baby seat!

Personally I find the length of my ST fine (long enough - but not too long for parallel parking) - it's the rear seat width I often wish I had a little more, as with 2x kids seats there is very little room in the middle for a third seat or mummy!

Friend at work has the Superb sport line hatchback - it has a huge boot, and lots space, and looks a lovely car to my eyes, but 1 foot longer than my ST.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
We have a Leon 5 door hatch and the ST. The boot in the ST is much bigger, and the space under the movable boot floor also fits loads of stuff in it. The baby seat behind the driver just fits with my driving position, but I’m only 5’10”. I guess that could be because the baby seat is a big one, no idea. Either way, the ST does what we need, but whenever I do go in a Superb, I’m amazed at the size and quality of it. Nice cars.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

What baby seat do you have? Even the massive one we had when she was up to 4 years old and still rear facing would just fit behind me. But we put it on the passenger side to stop it rubbing. I'm only 5'11, but I'm all legs so sit quite far back.

Things got a lot easier when she finally moved to forward facing, but we kept her rear facing as long as possible.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I've got an ST and I don't really consider it to be proper estate. It's only about 28cm longer than the hatch.

My mate has an Octavia estate and he's got 3 kids around 12, 14 and 17, so no baby seat. They fit in the car well for trips away and it certainly seems to have more room that my ST.

The Superb is lovely and big, but the whole car is big!

Not sure the ST would be a massive step up in size, but you might have to visit a dealer, and take the baby seat.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
United Kingdom
What baby seat do you have? Even the massive one we had when she was up to 4 years old and still rear facing would just fit behind me. But we put it on the passenger side to stop it rubbing. I'm only 5'11, but I'm all legs so sit quite far back.

Things got a lot easier when she finally moved to forward facing, but we kept her rear facing as long as possible.
It’s quite a bulky baby seat, which swivels too. From Mamas and Papas. Really good seat. Easy and convenient. Just awkward to fit in that’s all. I think I’ll have to upgrade to a Superb, or equivalent, when the next little one comes along! 🤞🏼

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013

Not personally - Passats as pool and hire cars and mates with Superb.

I've recommended Passats to many friends, as nearly new as they dropped in price over the first few years of ownership (not the case now), but they weren't replacing a Cupra. The Superb Sportsline did come with the 280 ps engine, but mates on Briskoda forum were not that complimentary about its driving dynamics (cornering ability) vs Octavia VRS.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Not personally - Passats as pool and hire cars and mates with Superb.

I've recommended Passats to many friends, as nearly new as they dropped in price over the first few years of ownership (not the case now), but they weren't replacing a Cupra. The Superb Sportsline did come with the 280 ps engine, but mates on Briskoda forum were not that complimentary about its driving dynamics (cornering ability) vs Octavia VRS.
Same with the Passat:

How about A4 Avant? 2.0TSI 221 quattro versions remap to something around 300?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise