Leon ST roof box size

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Hi all,

A week into ST ownership and enjoying being back behind the wheel of a Seat :D

Having dog-proofed the boot (guard, floor liner and bumper protector), I'm now looking for a roof box for the ST but need a sense check. What's the longest box any of you have got on the car?

Most websites suggest boxes that are 195-200cm+ are ok but I can't help feeling there'll be a massive overhang over the windscreen or I won't get the boot open (or both!).

Really need one that's at least 470L but can't find any shorter with that volume.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

NeilP72

Jun 21, 2019
Hi
I've got a Kamei Delphin 470 roofbox on our Leon ST. Previously I had a Passat estate, so I could easily fit that length roofbox.

If you have it on the Seat as far back as possible to let the boot open without hitting it then it does jut over front windscreen a bit.

I wouldn't change it though, it takes masses of stuff and is great quality.

It's not on at the moment so can't measure, but probably 250-300mm over the front of the roofline

Looks a bit odd side on, but you can't see it from the inside!

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Hi
I've got a Kamei Delphin 470 roofbox on our Leon ST. Previously I had a Passat estate, so I could easily fit that length roofbox.

If you have it on the Seat as far back as possible to let the boot open without hitting it then it does jut over front windscreen a bit.

I wouldn't change it though, it takes masses of stuff and is great quality.

It's not on at the moment so can't measure, but probably 250-300mm over the front of the roofline

Looks a bit odd side on, but you can't see it from the inside!
Oh wow - the Delphin 470 is 230cm long right? If that goes on then the 200cm ones I'm looking at should be fine. Found a 2nd hand 580L one on ebay for less than £200 which seems a good deal. Only issue is I've not got roof bars yet so might have to collect it in the boot which is ironic :ROFLMAO:

Sep 28, 2020
Oh wow - the Delphin 470 is 230cm long right? If that goes on then the 200cm ones I'm looking at should be fine. Found a 2nd hand 580L one on ebay for less than £200 which seems a good deal. Only issue is I've not got roof bars yet so might have to collect it in the boot which is ironic :ROFLMAO:
Word of warning I went to collect a roofbox that I was told was a 470l exodus that turned out to be a 580l there was no way it would fit in the car length wise and close the boot. Cost me £30 on Facebook marketplace so have a look on there if you get lucky they seem a little cheaper there than eBay.

NeilP72

Jun 21, 2019
😂

I guess it must be about that long yes. I know it sticks over the front a bit less than a 2.4m length of timber, so sounds about right!

Roofbar wise, I got some Whispbars (I think that's the name) for this car. I never take them off and they're more or less silent, even with my foot down. Bit pricey, but hopefully they'll last me years.

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Word of warning I went to collect a roofbox that I was told was a 470l exodus that turned out to be a 580l there was no way it would fit in the car length wise and close the boot. Cost me £30 on Facebook marketplace so have a look on there if you get lucky they seem a little cheaper there than eBay.
Argh, now I'm even more confused! eBay seller says the box is 580L and 200cm long. As I say I did think it seemed a push for the ST roof but if a Kamei Delphin 470 fits it should be okay??

Yeah I'm constantly on FB and eBay to find a box (I should probably do some work 😆) - got a month before we go away and hoped to hire one but of course they've all been booked by now

Sep 28, 2020
My 580l roof box is an exodus and is 205 cm long if that helps. Even with front seats at their furthest forward point the boot wouldn’t shut on my st and I definitely would not have been able to drive it. Hope that helps

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
My 580l roof box is an exodus and is 205 cm long if that helps. Even with front seats at their furthest forward point the boot wouldn’t shut on my st and I definitely would not have been able to drive it. Hope that helps
Oh ok, totally misread your post (thought you were talking about it not fitting ON the car - makes more sense now I've reread!).

At least that helps confirm that it's more than suitable to go on the roof - just need to work out how I'll pick it up now. My mother-in-law has a Mondeo estate so I'll get the tape measure out!

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
16247151717543214341831631412974.jpg

This is my Thule box it's 180cm, haven't got a clue what size litre it is but fits on the ST perfect.

jamesyboyjim

Apr 13, 2016
Cheers. Looks like it's probably 400-450 litres (I think over 450 they all seem to be at least 195cm long but I need the volume to replace what we're losing in the boot now the dog's taken over 😃).
What did you get in the end? I'm in the same situation as you are / were. My ST boot now belongs to the dog so looking at roof box options for camping trips. Currently still looking about.

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
So we decided to hire boxes for a couple of trips to see what works.

Last weekend we had a Thule Atlantis 200 which is 440 litres and did the job with dog + 2 kids (and actually a foldaway camping trolley which we bought last minute).

We're away for a week next Friday and have hired a 470 litre box so we'll see what that's like then look to buy something 2nd hand when we know what we need.

jamesyboyjim

Apr 13, 2016
So we decided to hire boxes for a couple of trips to see what works.

Last weekend we had a Thule Atlantis 200 which is 440 litres and did the job with dog + 2 kids (and actually a foldaway camping trolley which we bought last minute).

We're away for a week next Friday and have hired a 470 litre box so we'll see what that's like then look to buy something 2nd hand when we know what we need.
No issue with the length of the of the 440? Thanks for letting me know :)

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
No the 440 was absolutely fine. It's 175cm long. Seems a good box - opens both sides, claw grips (rather than u-bolts) and not too noisy

100andthirty

Mar 19, 2004
I use an old Mercedes ski box (>2m long) on my Skoda Superb and was used to quite a long overhang over the windscreen. My main worry was that it would interfere with the signal from my windscreen mounted Autoroute payment dongle (it didn't!). Your Leon ST is a bit shorter than the Superb, but then so are most of the ski boxes you can buy. If you want to check compatibility, look at the Roofbox Company's website as they list lots of roof boxes with dimensions and it'll help you even if you don't buy from them. I am a satisfied customer. https://www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-boxes/

Attachments

• 20210622_145840 adj.jpg
    20210622_145840 adj.jpg
    804.6 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: jamesyboyjim
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise