Minimum tickover RPM?

DaveH

Mar 8, 2023
Leicestershire
My recently acquired Mk4 Leon FR150 has a minimum idling speed of just under 1000rpm. This results in the need to continually brake when driving in slow moving traffic or attempting keep below the speed limit on level roads. It was very disconcerting at first because the car would accelerate and appeared to be changing to cruise control with no intervention from me.
Is the idling speed of 1000 rpm abnormally high. If so can I adjust it myself or does it need to be an engine management software mod?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
My Leon 'Mk3' has an anti stall feature - so idle revs in neutral is low - something like 800rpm - but when you are about to engage the clutch it blips to revs up to something around 1000.

Reactions: H Rafiq

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
There's something wrong if your car is accelerating with your foot off the throttle at 30+ MPH.... Are you resting your foot on the throttle and left-foot braking?

Automatics will naturally pull forward with your foot off the brake at a crawl.

DaveH

Mar 8, 2023
Leicestershire
There's something wrong if your car is accelerating with your foot off the throttle at 30+ MPH.... Are you resting your foot on the throttle and left-foot braking?

Automatics will naturally pull forward with your foot off the brake at a crawl.
No, my car has manual transmission and I'm not braking with foot on the throttle.
On level or downward gradients the car will accelerate to wherever speed corresponds to 1000 rpm in the gear selected. I wanted to find out if my experience was typical of this model. I think I really need to reduce the idling speed but don't know if I can adjust it myself or is it a service at the local Seat depot? Oh for the days of carburrettors!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
What's the idle rpm when your engine's hot - and you're in neutral with your foot of the clutch?

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
No, my car has manual transmission and I'm not braking with foot on the throttle.
On level or downward gradients the car will accelerate to wherever speed corresponds to 1000 rpm in the gear selected. I wanted to find out if my experience was typical of this model. I think I really need to reduce the idling speed but don't know if I can adjust it myself or is it a service at the local Seat depot? Oh for the days of carburrettors!
That's because your engine's adding throttle to stop from stalling (especially in traffic). You really shouldn't be moving with the engine below idle speed. In traffic, even 1000rpm in first gear is only a few mph, below that speed you'll need to feather the clutch to stop the car pulling forward.

You should be able to see that with the clutch ALL the way down in 1st gear at a standstill, the revs will be quite low but will actually noticably pick up when you lift your foot an inch or two from the bottom of the pedal's travel. This is to help prevent the engine stalling.

One other thing that could be going on this that your car will also idle higher if it's trying to do a regen on the DPF/PPF. Take it for a good run down the motorway (20-30 mins) and see if it's the same when you get back.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members