New Cupra incoming, a couple of questions

garyevs

Aug 28, 2015
Hi

I'll be changing my FR for a new Cupra DSG in a couple of weeks.

Having driven a manual for the last 20 years, the test drive was interesting with a few wtf moments :)

I have read up on the peculiarities of the DSG since then, and have learned a lot about changing my driving style etc, so hopefully should have more of an idea once the car is delivered.
In the meantime I have a few questions about stuff I didn't have a chance to try on the test drive, that I hope you guys can help with:

1. On a long decline, in slow traffic or waiting for traffic lights, I sometimes put the car in neutral and coast, engaging a gear if needed. Can I do the same with the DSG box, specifically, can you put it into drive while moving and without my foot being on the brake ?

2. Automatic parking brake....good or a pain ?

Thanks for your help, I may very well have some more questions as I think of them :)

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
1. Yes, you can do that. If you engage ECO mode, it will also coast automatically.

2. The parking brake is a Marmite item - some love it, spme hate it. You'll have to experience it for yourself to work out which camp you're in.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
1. I think you can, but I suggest not to for some considerable period of ownership as the car will do a good enough and always safe job, whereas if you do what you put then you might make an error. I can't really see the point of what you put. (You may cause extra wear, too, though that may not be the case with a DSG.)

To put it another way, just brake as needed. If you come to a halt it puts the box into neutral internally (engine would stall otherwise) so no need to mess with the shifter. (If you're halted for a while you can engage the handbrake of course.)

I dimly recall rules about coasting (as in not doing it with a manual) - anyone know?

2. a bit marmite I suspect

Last edited:

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I dimly recall rules about coasting (as in not doing it with a manual) - anyone know?
I seem to recall something in the dim and distant past as it being frowned upon because it's classed as not being properly in control of the vehicle. Could be wrong though :)

Reactions: Damo H

ray

Jan 7, 2016

Do you mean in a legal sense? I’m sure it’s illegal as your not in control of the car, but how true that is I don’t know. How can someone catch you breaking that law too.. weird one.

Certainly frowned upon as a modern car when coasting will use almost no fuel, compared to an idling car will use more. Also your not in as much control, I don’t do it for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullet

Mar 1, 2019
Bedfordshire
I've had my MY19 Cupra for a year and will admit it took quite a while to get used to the nuances of DSG and the auto handbrake. DSG is great in traffic queues as it works like a full auto but unless you take control of it is a bit laggy when you're doing anything more than just cruising along. Just a matter of getting used to it though and using the paddles to select the gear you want/expect, for example into bends on a sweeping road otherwise it will stay in a high gear most of the time (it does downshift on descents). I find the auto handbrake takes a little prod of throttle to disengage so sometimes I turn it off if manouvering into a tight parking space so you can just creep along.
Enjoy it though, just don't be expecting it to feel completely natural straight out of the box.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
  1. No - you cannot move the position of the drive selector without your foot on the brake. However, putting the car into ECo via the individual settings will take the car out of gear when coasting. I've used it just to try it out but doesn't do this when in cruise control.
  2. Automatic parking break is convenient but only in certain scenarios. Namely, stop start traffic. It is useful to be able to disable/enable it at the push of a button so you can turn it off if you need to. I find if I am in traffic, it is nice since i can come to a stop and just take my foot off the break. I used to get cramps sometimes in my manual when I was on and off the clutch and brake for half an hour. The auto handbreak I pretty much never use outside of drivign in heavy traffic.
THe auto break is definitely a eprsonal preference, Having driven auto's without it, I find it odd that the car does not start to roll forward when I take my foot off the brake, also you have to give the car some gas before the car does anything, this may marginally increase your fuel consumption...

Anyway, best thing to do is just to try it out and see whats best, its easy enough to turn on and off.

Reactions: Peller

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
I'm pretty sure you are never supposed to put a DSG box in neutral while you are moving, the clutches deactivate when you hold the brake pedal down at a stop also.

Under engine settings you can choose eco which will coast the gearbox off throttle.

Robster83

Feb 27, 2019
Gothenburg Sweden
If you wanna coast while driving I suggest using the eco-mode. It is well hidden though, you need to select individual mode-> edit-> engine to find it. Feels a bit strange that it is that well hidden. The other bit, to not put the car into neutral when stationary feels illogical to me. I have heard if from several sources but I cant understand why.

You can clearly feel the clutches disengage when in N and when in D with the foot on the break its clearly at least a little bit engaged and should generate some wear. I know that early (and lower spec) DSG have dry clutches that taxi drivers wore out, most likely while creeping in slow traffic all day. The ones in the cupra is a lot stronger and wet, but should still wear some... Why it should be bad if you know you will be stationary for a while is beyond me. If you engage the automatic parking break it is most likely completely disengaged though. My car is a MY16 with a manual parking break and I have never used it in stop and go traffic.

Some other personal points when it comes to the DSG in the cupra are. Sport mode is great for sporty driving but keeps the revs high (as intended) so for me it is only when you really wanna play. However normal mode D (which i use 95% of the time) is a little bit to eco-friendly for me. It changes to a very high gear super early and drops the revs to save fuel which is completely fine when potting around at low throttle input, however when you give it 40-80% throttle I would love for the box to down shift/hold the gear a bit longer in a more dynamic fashion but you may have to pay Audi money for the same box to be programed that way...or tune it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.