New member with Cupra 280 DSG (5dr)

Bahnstormer

Cupra 280 DSG
May 16, 2016
Hi!

I've been lurking the forums now and then but now that I bought my Cupra 280 DSG it was time to register.

My previous car was Mini John Cooper Works manual (R56).

Having owned a full bolt-on WRX 2005 in the past I really wanted an awd car and I looked into older STIs (2005-2011, even the newer sedan), but the 2.5l (glass) engine put me off and some of the older models did not have reclining back seats - or the boot was too small - which was a dealbreaker as we are soon having our first baby with my wife.

BMW 330i (petrol) did not have enough modability and most of the 335is in my price range had mileage issues and I have read & heard too many horror stories about them. BMW 125i (2.0l turbo) was way too small for us and 5-series too heavy and boring.

Megane Trophy 275 was the one I truly wanted but as it is a coupe it was not an option. I drove Trophy last fall in Cologne area for 5 days and oh man, it is an awesome set of wheels! EVO mag did not lie about it. A legit five star car and a clear step above Cupra as a driver's car as far as I'm concerned.

Golf R mk7 would have been practical and a great choice, but it was too pricey for us; I drove it for a week in Munich and around Austria and really liked it (would need a tune though). I was impressed with the engine. Mk6 R was out of the questions as I was spoiled by the Mk7 experience. Audi S3 (261bhp) did not excite enough.

So as it turned out..I ended up buying a Cupra with a Golf R mk7 engine hah! :D I’m a manual guy by heart but the idea behind DSG is that my wife would start driving again in the near future. We’ll see how it turns out. Maybe DSG even suits the character of the Cupra better than manual.

I have owned the car just under a week now and here are the first impressions. I'm very happy with my new ride! :D

Pros:
strong engine (a lot of potential), good power band
0-100mph in 12s and great overtaking thrust, may be the fastest hot hatch in the market
strong brakes
not yet bored with the DSG
practicality
good mpg considering the performance
room for mods (APR software next spring)
sleeper looks
suprisingly comfy in comfort mode

Cons:
numb steering
sleeper looks
no real "personality"
it is not Megane Trophy
wheelspin
driver's seat does not go low enough
exhaust way too muted for my taste

Cupra

May 14, 2016
Finland, Helsinki
Nice car. Cupra has a lot of potential. Exhaust sound is easy to change, maybe system which is integrated to driving mode selection so on Cupra mode it's opening valve and all noise is out. And when your wife is driving on comfort mode valve is closed so it's more practical.

I'm waiting my 290 DSG 5D Cupra to arrive later this year. Waiting sucks :D

Welcome to Forum!

Bahnstormer

Cupra 280 DSG
May 16, 2016
Nice car. Cupra has a lot of potential. Exhaust sound is easy to change, maybe system which is integrated to driving mode selection so on Cupra mode it's opening valve and all noise is out. And when your wife is driving on comfort mode valve is closed so it's more practical.

I'm waiting my 290 DSG 5D Cupra to arrive later this year. Waiting sucks :D

Welcome to Forum!

Thank you! Appreciated! :)

I can imagine that the waiting sucks. Are you able to get the car before the winter comes and try it with summer tyres?

Cupra

May 14, 2016
Finland, Helsinki
Thank you! Appreciated! :)

I can imagine that the waiting sucks. Are you able to get the car before the winter comes and try it with summer tyres?

Probably few weeks at least, if car comes in time. Now it would be the best time of the year to drive it... oh well... you can't get it all...

Bahnstormer

Cupra 280 DSG
May 16, 2016
Did you own (or still own) a hot hatch?

I had a Mini JCW and the Cupra is a step above performance wise. I do miss the manual though.

Any visual or performance mods planned or are you going to keep it stock?

Hopefully the car arrives on schedule! :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.