New to Seats - Question about 1.2 TCI 2012

Sep 29, 2021
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, trying to get into cars and the seat ibiza is the most appealing car for me, it's stunning.

I was looking at the Seat Ibiza 1.2 TCI FR 2012 (Registered September 2012) and I was wondering if there's any reason to stay away from this particular year / model. It's got 50k miles on it and looks excellent condition from the photos.

I've been searching all over the place even this forum to try and find an answer, but is the 2012 1.2 TCI engine ok? I've read that pre 2012 the 1.2 TCI engines had issues with timing chains?

Is there anything else I should be aware of too about this particular model / year?

Thanks!

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
Do you mean TSI?

I'm not sure you'll get the 1.2 TSI with the FR trim, (I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chip in)- I think that's for the 1.4 which is a different beast.

The 1.2 TSI engine is pretty robust, you're right though, early ones can have issues with the timing chain - budget between £600 (indi) & 1100(dealer) for a garage to fix a rattler. Apart from that they are good little engines, they don't ask much beyond regular servicing which is pretty affordable. They are nicer than the later 1.0l 3cyl TSI engines with smoother power delivery and better bottom end torque.

We've had one in the family now for 5 years and beyond a recent rattle from the timing chain (I'll be fixing it myself in the next couple of weeks -stay tuned) - it's not put a foot wrong.
Beyond that issues with the Ibiza have been relatively minor -with ours a boot servo failure (relatively cheap and easy DIY fix), drivers internal door handle stiff - (£50 genuine replacement part and an hour to change for a semi competent DIYer). And thats about it -beyond the occasional smell of dog from the previous owner!..

Sep 29, 2021
Do you mean TSI?

I'm not sure you'll get the 1.2 TSI with the FR trim, (I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chip in)- I think that's for the 1.4 which is a different beast.

The 1.2 TSI engine is pretty robust, you're right though, early ones can have issues with the timing chain - budget between £600 (indi) & 1100(dealer) for a garage to fix a rattler. Apart from that they are good little engines, they don't ask much beyond regular servicing which is pretty affordable. They are nicer than the later 1.0l 3cyl TSI engines with smoother power delivery and better bottom end torque.

We've had one in the family now for 5 years and beyond a recent rattle from the timing chain (I'll be fixing it myself in the next couple of weeks -stay tuned) - it's not put a foot wrong.
Beyond that issues with the Ibiza have been relatively minor -with ours a boot servo failure (relatively cheap and easy DIY fix), drivers internal door handle stiff - (£50 genuine replacement part and an hour to change for a semi competent DIYer). And thats about it -beyond the occasional smell of dog from the previous owner!..

I do yeah, for some reason I type TCI all the time, no idea why... but yeah TSI.

Do you know roughly which year they introduced the EA211 1.2 TCI engines into Ibiza's? I'm having to run HPI checks to see whether it's the EA111 with the timing chain issues at the moment, and becoming expensive. Be good if I knew roughly which year the EA211 was introduced. I've had people tell me 2015, and others 2012..

But I have found FR trims on the 1.2 TSI's on auto trader, sadly the one I found which was mentioned above has been snagged super quick... wish I jumped on it, but having to take my time as it's the first time I've bought a 2nd hand car. Really not a good market for people like me at the moment....

Do people normally get the timing chain's replaced at the time advised by the manual? I struggle to find any cars on auto trader where they actually mention the timing chain / belt has been changed. Quite frustrating when your trying to narrow it down.

How much roughly is the servicing? I have a 20 year old Clio which I've never serviced, just letting it die... all the lacquer has come off and it looks terrible.

Sounds like you have a golden car! That's exactly what I'm hoping to get LOL.

Do you have any advice for mileage / year to look for, I've noticed there's not many that make it past 100k miles on auto trader, I really wanted a touch screen so was avoiding the 2013-2017 models as they have those god dam hazard buttons below the radio with the Garmin, and I've got no idea if there's anyone who can relocate it, checked how to do it myself but it's beyond my car knowledge. I barely know how to change a tyre at the moment.

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
I think the 16v twin cam 1.2 came out around 2015 for the Ibiza (maybe 2011/2012 for other cars). Depending on your driving preference you may find the later 1.2 EA211 a bit thin on torque.
I'm fairly sure they sorted the chain issued before the EA211 came out.
Our 2011, pre-facelift, 1.2 has the SE trim with the ecomotive badge on. Its pretty well loaded with full electrics, cruise etc. the stereo is a bit basic as it didn't have the USB option - that is something I'd chase with hindsight (Personally I'd avoid the touchscreen stuff- you should be looking at the road, and should be able to operate all the controls by feel). Post 2015 (second facelift) should get you the bigger/better stereo, and probably also the twin cam engine, if that's your thing.

Servicing is just oil and filters(each time) and plugs (every other), your costs will vary massively depending on who does it. The dealer quoted me over £300 for an oil service so I laughed. It's worth checking if you've got the long-life service plan or time-interval as that may have a bearing on frequency and fluids used.

Timing chains only need changing if there's a problem - manifests itself as a distinct rattle at start which persists as the problem get worse. It won't always rattle from cold, and only rattles from warm when left for a while, once it's been changed (for the later design) it shouldn't need any more attention. The thing to do is have a listen when you go to look at the vehicle.

To be honest a vehicle of that class that's done over 100k miles is probably reaching the price point in which it's better sold on FB or gumtree.

With love they can last, previously we had a mk2 ibiza which did around 150k miles before we got bored of welding it up every MOT and upgraded to a 5 door for the kids. The 1.2 TSI engine is a much more sophisticated design that found in a 20yr old clio - I'm not sure it would take the same abuse as that or even the super simple 1.4 in the mk2.

maya77

Oct 18, 2021
I had some rattling on startup with 5w30 oil but none since switched to 0w30 few months ago.

Ibiza 1.2 TSI 2011/09 Ecomotive.

You should read this article, it may help:

Read from this line:

"2010-11 VW Golf 1.2 TSI: stretched timing chains (CBZ engines)"​

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.