No heat after eventful CTS replacement

lleiro

Feb 16, 2017
My altea is having the hot start problem so I bought the replacement sensor (Bilstein).

I replaced it this morning and half way through is started raining so I guess I might have been sloppy.

I put it in and went for a test drive. Kept an eye on the temp needle and everything was going great when all of a sudden it dropped to 0 and the warning light came on. Pulled out and pop the hood and the sensor popped out and the o-ring was gone. I guess I did not sit it properly.

Walked around and the best solution was Halfords. Bought a set of o-rings and a Gallon of G30 (their vag coolant).

Now without the rush of not letting coolant off I put it properly. Filled it up crank it up and left it iddling with the cap open until all the bubbles where done. Then I realized that I had no front wipers and the heat was gone. (Only workss in 4 and I have already replaced the resistor which lasted 30 minutes and now I ordered another one and a new blower motor altogether. The heat none the less was working.

It was probably iddling for 30-40 minutes and the temp never rose. After checking that it was not leaking I gather courage and drove back home. In 2 block the temp rose to 90 and stayed there stable. Once I got home I kept it iddling. Check the level and needed probably another 1/4. Topped it up to the max level and that was it.

I am guessing that in the blow out the heater core was clogged. I have been reading here and elsewhere how to bleed it but I was not too lucky. The two pipes that go through the firewall are quite inaccessible. I also unbolted the res. Tank and raise it but nothing.

I followed the pipes and from the pic, the one that goes to the radiator is hot and the one that goes to the cabin is not hot.

Is there any other way to blead our alteas? I also read something about loose foam. The engine compartment has a couple of spots with trapped foam that does not belong there.

I cant affors a garage at the moment so any help with getting the heater back will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Trying to update pic but I cant...

goo.gl/photos/PPXimgnVv76k3Rps7

Last edited:

lleiro

Feb 16, 2017
Well... I left it alone for a couple of hours and just got back. No heat to begin with but I revved it up to 2500 and the heater started working again! Took off and resit the wipers' fuse and I got them back and after reaching 90 I shut it of and crank it back several times and it cranks like when its cold maybe is solved after all! After the heater started working again I had to add a good extra chunk of coolant so I am guessing that there was air blocking the heater core flow and once it escaped it drank the rest that was missing.

Cheers!