Oil choice for the new generation small DI petrol turbo engines

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Ok folks. My car is a '16 plate 1.0 litre 95HP (70KW) CHZB Ibiza ST and, on the whole, I'm very pleased with it.

It did have a problem with it's turbo due to the wastegate actuation rod seizing up. I've found this is a not unknown problem and a modified linkage is now used. Unfortunately (for SEAT) the old arm had siezed so tightly to the wastegate lever that it could not be removed so I "won" a completely new turbo with the uprated linkage! All under warranty so thank you SEAT!

The only other problem I have is a very small noise from the front suspension (it goes "pockle, pockle" when traversing speed bumps) it can't be reproduced with the car standing still and neither I nor the dealer can find it. I've found I can reproduce it by dropping the car with my trolley jack so it's a work in progress.

Anyway, the car is now out of warranty so, being retired from a life in and around the motor trade, I'm going to undertake service and maintenance myself (with the aid of my VCDS of course). So then the question of oil arises. My last vehicle was a '99 Cordoba Vario 1.9 tdi which I had for around 19 years the oil choice was a Quantum oil recommended to me by TPS and bought from them. TPS now don't seem to be interested in the ordinary punter any more so I don't have that option. Anyway this new, small, quite highly stressed, turboed engine is a very different "kettle of fish". I chose to go with the standard time/mileage based service intervals as I don't believe in extended interval for many reasons. The garage tell me the oil used for standard interval servicing is a 5W-40 Castrol supplied to them in bulk. The service reception didn't have any more in depth info but looking at Castrol's spec on 5w-40 oils they are fairly basic.

I've spent several weeks, on and off, making a nuisance of myself asking many questions of Castrol, Fuchs (a favorite of mine), Opie oils, Power enhancer and others. I've also been researching modern oils and calling up spec sheet PDF's etc. I have to say I find it very difficult to make this choice, things are so complicated now. Used to be so simple when all you were presented with was a 20w-50 and the big decision was should it be Duckhams Q20/50 or Castrol GTX! Anyway after a great deal of research and taking advice from "people who know" I've decided on Fuchs Race Pro C3 5w-30. This is a "proper" Ester/PAO oil which should offer best possible performance and protection.

Anyone on here who knows about oils and would like to advise me further?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Should have the correct oil in the manual, along with the relevant VW approval number.
Buy that oil from wherever, make sure it's changed regularly and the level is kept appropriate.

Don't worry about buying fancy oil for a standard road car, regular changes and monitoring are far more important.

Reactions: Crossthreaded

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Should have the correct oil in the manual, along with the relevant VW approval number.
Buy that oil from wherever, make sure it's changed regularly and the level is kept appropriate.

Don't worry about buying fancy oil for a standard road car, regular changes and monitoring are far more important.

Sorry I haven't been back on here but I've been sorting out a particularly vexing clutch problem on my boy's Punto. Sorted now thank goodness but a real agro job. Master cylinder. pedal box has to come out!

Anyway, yes I agree with you to look in the hand book (502 for fixed interval/mileage and 504 for variable) so i've been looking into what 502 and 504 actually are - because VAG don't give any specs. Well, from what I can see 502 is a 5w-40 and 504 is 5w-30 with most of the examples I cam find being to API SN (or SN plus if you're lucky) ACEA C3. I'm only looking at synthetics (or what are called synthetics) The more affordable products are probably using a group 3 base oil but there are also examples to this spec which are Ester/Pao "real" synthetic (for instance Fuchs Titan Race Pro C3 5w-30). So, taking into consideration the liking for small capacity turboed DI engines to experience LSPI and the roll oil seems to take in this (hence the development of API's SN plus spec for instance) The stresses turbo's place on the oil and the very high pressure plunger type fuel pumps now being utilized to say nothing of the roll the oil is increasingly being found to play in the formation of carbon deposits in DI engine inlet ports, I'm just wondering if there's anyone on here who really "knows" about oils and might be able to clear a bit of the "fog" for me?

Kindest regards all

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.