Oil Filter Leaks

pedxxx

Nov 23, 2012
Ever year my car gets a service and every year (or most years) the oil leaks from the oil filter seal. This is always the case with a Bosch filter but has now happened with another brand.

This is very frustrating. Does anybody else have this issue?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Are you using a cartridge filter or a paper element job?

With the paper element ones you'll also get a new O-ring which wants replacing after it's been primed with some used oil.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If it is an EA111 1.2TSI then there is a good possibility that the previous, or a previous filter seal is also in there, a well documented problem/possibility.

With the added "bonus" of reduced oil pressure as the "should be closed" oil return, which should only get opened when the filter is unscrewed slightly, is open at all times.

So, if you have had any low pressure warning then that could be why that was happening, either way, it might be a smart idea to buy a new oil filter, remove the old one, and investigate if there is an extra and much older seal still stuck to that oil filter head part of your car.

Reactions: R3k1355

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
This is correct ... the EA111 1.2 TSI has issues with O-rings remaining from the old filters. Well documented, even when I bought my Golf in 2014.

Here's a thread with some pictures.

another

I would start there if it was my EA111 1.2 TSI.