Oil topped up at 12,000 and now wants it at 17,000

Aug 17, 2022
Derbyshire
Have I managed to be stuck with a Formentor that’s got something not quite right with it?

I had to put a litre of oil in around 10,000 miles. Now it’s asking for another litre at 17,000.

Am I the only one?

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
What's the engine on your Formentor?
Other forums (e.g Skoda and VW) also have some topics with oil-drinking engines...
What's the main driving style? (urban/highway, sporty/eco, high-low revs...)

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
Hmm... that's quite unusual from what I know.
It's a bit more common (from what I've been reading) for the TDIs and for the 2.0 TSI when used at high revs for long stretches.
The unfortunate thing is that car manufacturers protect themselves for such situations with the already famous statement in the User Manual: "oil consumption can be up to 0.5 l/1000 km" which I personally find ridiculous after owning several cars with practically no oil consumption.
At a rate of 0.5 l/1000 km there's really no need to change the engine oil - you just top up and remember to replace the oil filter from time to time... :confused:

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 11.19.35.png

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
1.5tsi. Main driving style is urban/highway, vehicle is rarely in sport mode. Revs less than 3000
That might be the problem ! Not a Seat but a few years ago i had a car that seemed to use oil and took it
to friend who was a Mechanic and told me to "drive as you had stole it" admitting i did not go that far but I
give it some rev's and a bit of high speed and after the first service it never used any oil after that, the only
oil that was put in was at the service, and since I have always "Drove" a car and never had a car that uses oil

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn
Aug 17, 2022
Derbyshire
That might be the problem ! Not a Seat but a few years ago i had a car that seemed to use oil and took it
to friend who was a Mechanic and told me to "drive as you had stole it" admitting i did not go that far but I
give it some rev's and a bit of high speed and after the first service it never used any oil after that, the only
oil that was put in was at the service, and since I have always "Drove" a car and never had a car that uses oil
The only time it reaches 3000 revs is when I am leaving home and climbing up the hill to get to work. I had a Renault Clio before and drove that the same as I drive this and never had to top that oil up at all

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
The only time it reaches 3000 revs is when I am leaving home and climbing up the hill to get to work. I had a Renault Clio before and drove that the same as I drive this and never had to top that oil up at all
Ok just saying what I did, but I would see what happens after the first oil service

Aug 17, 2022
Derbyshire
Ok just saying what I did, but I would see what happens after the first oil service
Yeah that’s understandable. I don’t feel like I thrash the car to be honest. I’ve put another litre oil in and my cars in for Friday at the service centre for re-tension of gearbox due to it rattling upon acceleration around 2,000 revs in 2nd and 3rd gear

Oily

May 31, 2022
Hi
My 1.5 TSI 20 months old with 9000 miles had the oil light come up last week. I'd say the same sort of driving style. I put half a litre in. It's not due a service until December but going to book it in soon and hopefully get the software updated at the same time.
As a matter of interest I went to my local Cupra dealer when it was a year old and asked if they would just do an oil change... they asked why and said it wasn't necessary but if I wanted it done then they would only do it as a one year service!

Aug 17, 2022
Derbyshire
Hi
My 1.5 TSI 20 months old with 9000 miles had the oil light come up last week. I'd say the same sort of driving style. I put half a litre in. It's not due a service until December but going to book it in soon and hopefully get the software updated at the same time.
As a matter of interest I went to my local Cupra dealer when it was a year old and asked if they would just do an oil change... they asked why and said it wasn't necessary but if I wanted it done then they would only do it as a one year service!
I’ve had the same response from my Cupra dealer as well. I stick to the gear change indicator throughout the whole drive of my Cupra. But still swallowing daft amounts of oil. I find it bizarre.

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
Dealerships have the tendency of calling it "normal behavior", backed up by the User Manual... but I have a hard time swallowing such a bitter pill. My Octavia (2.0 TDI) is 1y old, has a bit more than 10.000 km and the oil level is half-way between Min & Max markers. Pretty sad considering that my other cars (in the signature) never drank more than 100-200 ml of oil over the entire service interval.
I have a friend with an mk3 Octavia vRS - the 2.0 TSI 245HP; he told me that he could use up to 1 l of oil over 1.500-2.000 km across the German Autobahn, going at high-revs on the sections without any speed limit. But at the same time he could go for several thousand km with very small oil losses without (or rarely) flooring the gas-pedal.

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Definitely Agree, kick her in the guts, allow the car to warm up and Then... blow the cobwebs out, take it for a blast, put the pedal to the metal (or mettle), open the taps, grab it by the scruff of the the neck, get the hammer down, give it a damn good thrashing, full throttle, put your foot down, get yer skates on Mate, give it the beans, Poweeeeeeeeeerrrr, it's lights out and GO GO GO!

You get the picture 😁👍

Your car will thank you too 🙂

Reactions: Seastormer
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.