Petrol vs Diesel pro's and cons Leon ST.

Feb 6, 2022
Hi everyone.
As per a previous thread, I'm looking at purchasing a 2018 Seat LEON ST in the next month or two and can't decide on engines. I have a daily return journey of about 40 miles (20 mile each way) mainly on country roads and then a weekend journey of about 90-100 miles (50 each way). About 13-14K each year.
I know the diesels are more economical but I'm concerned that my short journeys will block the DPF and any mpg gain is lost with the cost of a trip to the garage.
I don't want anything too slouchy so looking at the 1.8/2.0TSI petrol or the 2.0tdi 184 FR.
What would you all recommend?
Thank you

Feb 6, 2022
Apologies I've put this under the wrong forum and can't delete it now. Admins if you could move it that would be appreciated. Thank you.

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
Hi everyone.
As per a previous thread, I'm looking at purchasing a 2018 Seat LEON ST in the next month or two and can't decide on engines. I have a daily return journey of about 40 miles (20 mile each way) mainly on country roads and then a weekend journey of about 90-100 miles (50 each way). About 13-14K each year.
I know the diesels are more economical but I'm concerned that my short journeys will block the DPF and any mpg gain is lost with the cost of a trip to the garage.
I don't want anything too slouchy so looking at the 1.8/2.0TSI petrol or the 2.0tdi 184 FR.
Thank you
DPFs are a pain in the arse. I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding diesel like the plague if you do short journeys. Cost me a good amount to keep having it regenerated twice a year as it refuses to do it itself.

Feb 6, 2022
Thank you Baldiesimo. That's what the garage advised me too. May I ask how much it cost you to have it regenerated each time? Thank you

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Hi everyone.
Thank you

I have a 2.0 TDI 184 ST and do less daily mileage than that (about 10k miles per year). Never had a DPF fault yet in the 4 years I have owned it.

Reactions: SpeedyJD
Feb 6, 2022
Thanks Bendy, sounds like you got a good one.
I am concerned that the money I save in fuel I'll lose with a DPF regen. Must admit I've never had a problem with my 2009 2.0tdi Skoda Octavia estate. Perhaps it's the way we drive?
I do tend to drive quickly with the revs up given the chance. Obviously this will give a greater chance to burn off the carbon deposits.
Decisions, Decisions.

andycupra

status subject to change
i wouldn't say that an average of 30 miles per drive are short journeys and so i don't think excessive regens would be much of an issue.
However, there is a general shift change with policies etc where diesels are becoming less favourable. if i were spending a significant amount on a car i'd be vary wary of diesels at the moment. The issue is that a diesel would likely suit you given your current drives. depends how you see residuals over the next few years and what you might get back later.

Reactions: SpeedyJD

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
Thank you Baldiesimo. That's what the garage advised me too. May I ask how much it cost you to have it regenerated each time? Thank you
It was about £200. They warn you each time it could ruin the engine when they do it.

Apr 12, 2022
I have just bought a Leon ST 1.5 EVO to replace an aging diesel Passat I had and I'm not missing diesel at all, I know a newer diesel will be even more efficient but I'm averaging very high 40's and it's so much quieter, miss the low down torque a bit, but all in glad I went petrol, I should say that I only do about 10k miles a year.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
With the way the costs of diesel are at the pump any benefit in mpg is negated with the higher cost.

I think that its a ploy to drive us further away from diesel.

Consipracy thought but still a thought

Reactions: Bob
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.