Problems with my 1.2 TSI I TECH

Jul 17, 2020
Hi, new to this so bare with me, I recently purchased a Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI I TECH which already had a forge induction kit in it, I purchased from a reputable garage, within a couple of day started having issues, especially in a morning or after its been stood for a while, it starts hesitating epically around the 2000 rev mark, I had it bk to where I purchased it and its not showing up any faults, they are putting it down to the induction kit, they said it won't damage the car so can either put up with it or take the induction kit off? Has anyone had similar issues or can shed any light. Thanks
Nicola

Swanbon

Jun 24, 2017
Glasgow
What year is it? How many miles? Service history? I’m surprised it’s not logged a fault? I’ve not know of a forge induction kit to cause issues. If it was me I’d be demanding they fix it and/or buy it an airbox if they think it’s the forge. I had a forge, caused no issues, only removed as I didn’t like it sat at the back of the engine bay getting hot.

Jul 17, 2020
It's on a 64 plate (14) done 54,000 miles, only history is mot's, initially they said might be fuel filter but then changed their mind and said it was the induction kit, said because its a newer car some cars just don't like them ‍♀️

Swanbon

Jun 24, 2017
Glasgow
I think they are fobbing you off saying it’s the air filter. There was a guy ioc who put a forge filter on his, he has the ea111 engine, turbo at the front. He suddenly developed loads of issues, but ended up being a blown/missing fuse. Nothing to do with the filter, pure coincidence. And they changed fuel pumps and ecus, cost him a lot of money, and was a fuse.
Is yours the ea111, cam chain or ea211, cam belt? Think the itechs are belt? Should of had the belt changed if it’s the ea211. They must have the locking tools used to change as they are very sensitive with the timing.

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Regarding the SEAT Ibiza i-Tech Mk5 model, this was a limited edition for roughly 2 years from mid 2013 to mid 2015, they only came with the one engine in this model, 1.2 TSi (EA111) engine code CBZB which has timing chain.
Also this engine I think had the upgraded timing chain & tensioner from 2013 onwards, due to the Ibiza before 2013 or 2012 having a thinner chain & weaker tensioner that was suspected of failing, between 40k miles (70,000km) & 50k miles (80,000km)

It's important to carry out regular oil changes on the i-Tech 1.2 TSi engine, but even more so if you've purchased the car with out full history.

The standard air filter box is normally situated just behind the battery, close to bulkhead just in front of the ECU on the left side, I thought it might have a air flow sensor attached to OEM air box, but I don't think it has.
On the SEAT ETKA parts site it list's this part number twice 03G 906 051D for MAP sensor and boost pressure sensor.
Basically this one sensor is used / fitted in two places on your engine.

03G 906 051D
MAP sensor is Mass Air Pressure sensor measures the volume of air in inlet manifold.

03G 906 051D
Boost pressure sensor measures the turbo boost air pressure traveling down turbo outlet boost pipe to intercooler.

As there's no air flow sensor fitted to standard air filter box, your engine should run fine with the induction filter kit fitted.
But as you've got no service history with car only MOT certs, you don't know if the ECU has been remapped, which sometimes can cause issues in the future a year or two down the line so to speak.

As Swanbon has said I'd get the original OEM air filter box fitted back on, and see if that makes a difference, I don't think it will, but the garage has told you they think it's causing your issue ??
Get them to put it back to standard especially if you've got any warranty with the car ?

Can you hear any rattling noise when you first start up your car from cold, it's rare for the later 1.2 TSi engines to have timing chain issues, as it should have the upgraded chain & tensioner, but there's still a small risk.
Symptoms were on the older car's before 2013, rattling noise on cold start ups, valve timing can be slightly out causing poor starting or running issues, it has been known for later car's 2013 onwards to have this, but is rare.

Hope this helps
Si