Real MPG Figures - 1.6 vs 2.0 tdi?

Nov 16, 2022
I'm looking to purchase a used Leon, not sure whether estate or hatch but it is for my commuting - I do around 85 miles a day, around 3/4 of that is on motorway/dual carriage way so a lot of cruising at 70 - 80mph

Is there much real life difference between mpg figures at that speed - I am very keen to get the best fuel economy possible, even 5mpg or so makes a difference to the wallet! Has anyone got any real life experience with either engines or can suggest which would be best? Will definitely go for the DSG

Thanks in advance!

biminibob

Mar 27, 2022
I drive a lot of miles, mixed motorway and longish school runs. Had 1.6tdi since April and have done 25k miles since then, average 57mpg.

(I keep brim to brim record each time I refuel. over all that time, the trip computer overstates fuel economy by only about 1mpg on average)

If I’m just doing school run driving, heavy traffic, it can dip to just below 50mpg.

If I drive at a steady 50mph on a free flowing motorway it can hit 80mpg according to the car, though I don’t do that often, just to see what I can get out of it! At 60mph about 70mpg, 70mph about 65mpg.

edit mines a 2019 estate ST, 5 speed manual

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Have not driven the 1.6TDI so can't comment on that mpg - They are the same basic engine family with the 1.6 having shorter stroke and smaller bore.
Have a look on honest john - real mpg for the various engines, over my vehicle history I have found these figures quite representative of what I get.
The 1.6TDI looks generally to have a little better mpg - but at that high speed I would 'guess' the difference is negligible.
I know the 2.0tdi 150 has different/lower gearing than the 184 - so might be be better at high speed cruising - don't know on the 1.6 gearing.
I do know that the DSG models do have an MPG penalty - so if maximising mpg would be better to pick a manual.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I've got the 2.0 TDI 184 engine. Driving it fairly vigourously I get 50-54 mpg. If I drive on motorways and try and stick to the speed limit, it'll do 60-64 mpg. Those are computer figures so maybe knock a couple of percent off.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I would say dependant on how you drive the 1.6tdi could be more economical.

This only applies if you are "nursing" it.

If you drive like i do rather briskly i would say the 2.0l tdi would be on a par with the 1.6tdi if not a little better.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Long term Average on my 184 is 49mpg mostly work runs on dual carriage way and motorways.

Best ive ever got on a 50 mile run to my sons on 50mph a roads was 61. Ive never been able to replicate that and the norm is 54mpg.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
I'm running a 1.6TDI Leon, remapped to 140hp. It's significantly better on fuel now than it was when standard.
My 4 mile each way commute returns around 55mpg, on a long motorway, driven gently and legally, will return well over 70mpg. Best I've ever had was a motorway run Preston-Birmingham when there was a 20 mile 50mph mandatory speed limit on the M6 - I was trying for the 80mpg but didn't quite manage it!

Attachments

• Leonmpg.jpeg
    Leonmpg.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 87

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I'm running a 1.6TDI Leon, remapped to 140hp. It's significantly better on fuel now than it was when standard.
My 4 mile each way commute returns around 55mpg, on a long motorway, driven gently and legally, will return well over 70mpg. Best I've ever had was a motorway run Preston-Birmingham when there was a 20 mile 50mph mandatory speed limit on the M6 - I was trying for the 80mpg but didn't quite manage it!
How has the re-map effected the trip computer accuracy? I find my trip very close to brim to brim calculations - within 1-2mpg.
My best was 73mpg in my standard 184tdi over a 30 mile motorway/A road journey with roadwork 50mph speed restriction.
Driving sensibly I get 60-62mpg on my work commute of 25miles of fast A roads. If it does a re-gen then more like 55mpg.
Long term average is around 55mpg which includes short school trips - and long motorway runs.

biminibob

Mar 27, 2022
How has the re-map effected the trip computer accuracy? I find my trip very close to brim to brim calculations - within 1-2mpg.
My best was 73mpg in my standard 184tdi over a 30 mile motorway/A road journey with roadwork 50mph speed restriction.
Driving sensibly I get 60-62mpg on my work commute of 25miles of fast A roads. If it does a re-gen then more like 55mpg.
Long term average is around 55mpg which includes short school trips - and long motorway runs.

Very similar mpg to my 1.6tdi 2019 manual estate. Brim to brim I tend to find the trip computer overstates mpg by less than 1mpg on average.

On the remap, I had an Alfa 159 remapped and at first thought it had done wonders for fuel economy going by the trip computer, up about 10mpg. But in reality it barely improved mpg at all measured brim to brim, maybe a couple of mpg and that was probably due to them removing the dpf at the same time as the remap.(done aboutb15 years ago before that was illegal!)

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Absolutely no difference to the accuracy of the computer before and after the remap. My DPF was left in place and it regens exactly the same post-remap too

Reactions: SuperV8

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I used to have the 2.0tdi Leon 150 dsg Se tech on 16in wheels. Going 74 ish mph journey got me just shy of 60mpg. On paper the manual should do slightly better. Rented an Audi A3 1.6tdi manual in Portugal, it did similar mpg. Though that had 6 speed Vs Leon's 5 speed manual

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.