Rear indicator lens

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Noticed a week or two ago that the passenger side rear indicator lens had water droplets inside.
The driver side lens is ok.
The water droplets seem to be permanent.
Anyone else had this problem?
Would like to know how remove and dry out and reseal the lens.

milnei

Jun 26, 2015
Brackley, Northamptonshire
Yup, I had the same problem. DON'T be tempted to try to remove it and dry it out, as you're likely to crack it at the very front edge if you don't pull it off correctly, and then making a warranty claim impossible (doh).
However, just bought an OEM Valeo one for £60 from Car Parts 4 Less, so not too bad.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
My driver side (on the tail gate) rear lens was replaced at the last service for having droplets in after rain or washing, and no cracks were in the lens like some folk had on here.

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Water in lens located in the rear body panel is more extensive and no obvious cracks visible. The rear lens in the tailgate door is free of any water droplets.
A few months out of my 3 year warranty so can't expect help from dealer without a large bill.
Milnei seems to know how to get access to the lens for dry out or removal.

Before I go and do any damage can Milnei or anyone else advise me how to get access to the rear lens located in the rear body panel?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Water in lens located in the rear body panel is more extensive and no obvious cracks visible. The rear lens in the tailgate door is free of any water droplets.
A few months out of my 3 year warranty so can't expect help from dealer without a large bill.
Milnei seems to know how to get access to the lens for dry out or removal.

Before I go and do any damage can Milnei or anyone else advise me how to get access to the rear lens located in the rear body panel?

I'd try for a goodwill repair as it is a known problem, if not, they are easy to remove and then remove bulb holder and heat inside of unit with a hair dryer( or similar) leaving for a while to go cold so that condensation does not reappear immediately, on my Honda I hung a small bag of silica gel inside the lens hanging from a length of thread to aid removal a few weeks later.

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Thanks Martin. (Our son lives in Fife).

Will ring dealer and see what he says, though cynical old me holds out little hope.

You say that it is simple to remove. All I can see is a black plastic trim on the inside on the boot sill. Seems that I might get to see the lens inners if I peel it off.

Can you be anymore specific as to how I actually remove it and the bulb holder on my Leon Mark 3 SC?

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013

Will ring dealer and see what he says, though cynical old me holds out little hope.

You say that it is simple to remove. All I can see is a black plastic trim on the inside on the boot sill. Seems that I might get to see the lens inners if I peel it off.

Can you be anymore specific as to how I actually remove it and the bulb holder on my Leon Mark 3 SC?

If you look inside the back area of the boot, - behind the general tail light area - you will see two little squares in the vertical carpet stuff, pop them out and you will find the torx head bolts/screws that hold the tail lights in, remove the torx's and then the light units will pull out :)

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
Had a quick look and see the cut out, and the securing bolt head. At the time of looking the bolt head seems to be a rather large female hex head, needing a rather large allen key. Will have to have a closer look when it gets light, maybe torx head down deeper.

Thanks. dw911. Should have been able to see that for myself in the first instance, maybe I need new glasses or I'm just getting old and senile :-(

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I was able to use a large flat head screw driver in the female hex bolt to undo in the absence of a large enough hex spanner.

ERIC3451

Jan 20, 2014
Northern Ireland
I see the flat slot in the female hex bolt.

Have also had a very close look at the lens and can see what appears to be a defect inside and at the outer edge of the lens. It looks like a small area of cracking spider web in appearance.

A few google searches reveal that Seat appear to be aware of cracking in the rear light lenses. The images I have seen online show cracking in the exact same spot and look identical to mine

There is an opinion that during assembly the hex head bolt has been overtightened putting stresses on the lens. Small cracks then develop through time leading to condensation in the lens. Sooner or later these defects propagate into long "branch" like cracks.

Even though I am 4 months out of my 3 year warranty I have talked to my dealer about this issue and am waiting on their response. Until i get a response from my Dealer or Seat, I am reluctant to try to remove the lens myself as I believe that this may be issue poor assembly and or design on Seats part.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Play on their good nature at the dealers, even try customers services if all else fails.

Your son isn't a police officer is he? And you haven't had a holiday in Portugal in the last couple of years?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)

FIFE SEAT, fixed mine under warranty, and know the problem well, they are also one of the few GOOD SEAT dealers, hence why I travel from Edinburgh to use them.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
FIFE SEAT, fixed mine under warranty, and know the problem well, they are also one of the few GOOD SEAT dealers, hence why I travel from Edinburgh to use them.

Mine is booked in there for an examination next Saturday, suggest that it will take an hour to look at the light and decide if it has condensation! I can do this at my work in five minutes, but hey ho as long as it is fixed I suppose. Fingers crossed.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members