RECALL- Batteries

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Thanks for the update but jeez it’s not good news.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Mine's in for software update in early May. I wonder if they'll have the recall fix in place by then 🤔.

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
the original article in Bild relates to the cover not batteries

VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda have to recall more than 100,000 vehicles worldwide because of a possible fire hazard in the engine compartment - in Germany around 40,000 vehicles are affected by this recall. These include volume models such as the Audi Q3, Skoda Octavia and VW Golf.

According to the KBA, "inadequate fastening of the engine design cover can lead to contact with hot parts and consequently to a fire". So far, 16 cases are known in Germany in which exactly that happened.

Reactions: Gbbeesls

RichardTaylor

Jun 13, 2021
Collected the car yesterday- had to sign a disclaimer that the recall was not completed. It’s apparently a fuse in the HV battery which could fail and cause a fire. Luckily all they need to do is install a fire mat. It is a different recall to the engine cover.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
I haven't heard of the faulty engine cover being relevant on the Formentors? The current recall is related to inadequate insulation which might cause a short from the HV battery.

I got the letter April 11th, have a date set for May 17th and should take around 6 hours - free of charge of course.

I'll try and translate and breviate the letter I got (From Scandinavian):

"The fuse in the HV system may have been produced with an inadequate amount of flame-retardant material. In the event of a failure in the HV system the fuse is triggered but might fail. In this event the inadequate amount of flame-retardant material may cause a shortage between the HV battery and the fuselage.

For safety reasons the preventive measure is to install an additional insulating cover in the HV battery to prevent this potential shortage and rare risk of fire hazard."

Reactions: dashnine

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
There is a couple different threads on this, but this is the first to pop up when searching. Anyways, I just had the rework done on my car!

The workshop finally had a timeslot after getting the specialty tools. Besides the rework of the battery insulation, there was also a pending update to the control module of the low voltage battery, BMS maybe?

My car got the full treatment, and besides the 2 above fixes it also got a software update. The shop sent me a nice video in the middle of the operation (below) to show me the car and my front license plate bracket - apparently having an extra (standardised) license plate bracket/holder in front messes with the radar and is a no go in these cars. So they offered to remove it.
I have been having intermittent sensor impairments, causing cruise control to turn off including Front Brake Assist. I thought dirt on the sensors was the culprit, but there you go.

All in all perfect customer service, and a good feeling getting this sorted.

Expect a full work day.

EDIT: They didn't mention my (warranty voiding) custom exhaust 🙌

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members