Regenerative Braking & Brake Lights

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Do the brake lights come on during regenerative braking on the Born?

I was following one yesterday evening and the brake lights were on/off constantly; really distracting when following on a straight country road.

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Do the brake lights come on during regenerative braking on the Born?

I was following one yesterday evening and the brake lights were on/off constantly; really distracting when following on a straight country road.

They do this on my Leon, so I'd imagine it's the same on the Born. Make me look a terrible driver to those who don't know.

Reactions: black_sheep

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Just this morning followed an Audi E-Tron, and took me a few minutes before guessed that's what was happening, as the driver kept braking in front of me. Is a crap idea if it's true that when you lift off the throttle it puts the brake lights on, how are you supposed to know when someone is actually braking for real!

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Whether it's the car or the driver braking, the car must be slowing so maybe legally they have to have the brake lights come on.
Surely that would apply to any car though. When you lift off the accelerator on a regular car it slows down but the brake lights don't show.

Reactions: vwtrev

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Surely that would apply to any car though. When you lift off the accelerator on a regular car it slows down but the brake lights don't show.
Yeh when you lift off in a normal car it slows a bit, but is not braking, these electric cars have the brake come on and slow the same as if the driver has pressed the brake pedal.

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Slightly off topic, but I wonder if the brake lights on trucks illuminate when the "Jake" (exhaust) brake is operated?

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
V.Good point, but it's still slightly annoying...
Not really, when you lift off on a normal car, your lights don't come on. They should really only come when your deceleration is above a certain amount. If your lights are flashing on and off without much reason, the person behind you is going to start ignoring them.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
Not really, when you lift off on a normal car, your lights don't come on. They should really only come when your deceleration is above a certain amount. If your lights are flashing on and off without much reason, the person behind you is going to start ignoring them.

I thought EU law was the brakes have to light if regen is above 0.3G (which is a fair amount). Though, maybe that was just what one of the other manufacturers was doing

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
With regen braking, you are braking so you need to know it's happening. You shouldn't be close enough for it to be troubling.
It does require a different technique when driving, but no more so than if you are driving economically or going for it a bit.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
People who are driving very modern cars should really get some training, if fact anyone driving should get some every few years, even if it's just a check drive to assess your competence

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.