Roof bars for Seat Ibiza 1.6 CR TDI Sport - 3 door - wth glass roof?

MrsM

Off camping next month and in need of advice please. Does anyone have the same model Ibiza with roof bars? If so, pls advise make of roof bars and if applicable, make/size of roof box etc. A roof bar/roof box company that I contacted online has questioned compatibility if the car has a glass roof. We had a Leon last year and packed up with our camping stuff, there was barely room for us! Love the Ibiza but we need extra storage space or we are going to have to hire a bigger car! Many thanks in advance.

craigd

Jul 27, 2007
North Wales / Kent
I was thinking of getting some roof bars myself for putting my bike carrier on, I have a Bocanegra which also has the glass roof.

I have found some on Seats website and was going to order some this week from Seat. They can be found under accessories and the picture shows them on the 3 dr sc.

I havent done enough posts to post a link but go onto Seats website and click seat service at the top then accessories.

Bocanegra in Candy White with all the options

matt_w73

Worth checking carefully with your Seat dealer - I have got a Cupra with the Panoramic roof and got the dealer to order the roof bars but when they came the instructions stated that they did not fit cars with the Panoramic roof. They have been in touch with Seat HQ who say that there is a different model number for the roof bars that fit with the panoramic roof (as per the picture in the accessories brochure) and that they would order a set for me. However, this was three weeks ago and they haven't arrived as yet. So it is definitely worth you getting the dealer to confirm that the roof bars you order will fit with the panoramic roof so that you don't get stuck with a set that won't.

MrsM

Many thanks for posting the link and really helpful information, all much appreciated. Also, the roof box on the Seat link, though small, looks very neat, with no hideous overhang at the front! Though not as big as some, it suits the car well and will hugely increase the storage space for lightweight but bulky items. Shame it doesn't appear to be available in metallic black like our car but I think it will do nicely. Thanks again and I have no idea why I couldn't find it despite trawling the Seat website. I shall ask Mr M to get in touch with Seat asap and place an order!

matt_w73

Just to let everyone know that the new roof bars that are available for the Ibiza 3 door with panoramic roof definitely work and don't touch the glass roof, as mine arrived a couple of weeks ago and I've had the bikes on the roof up and down the motorway.

Though they seem to have no logos on them, the fitting instructions are Thule branded. I think it is the Thule rapid system 750 that is used.

The car doesn't look quite so cool with the roof rack on though!

MrsM

Many thanks for this.

Our camping trip went really well. The roof bars (though ridiculously expensive) were at least fitted at the Seat dealership and then we hired a roof box for a week. We didn't open the panoramic roof while the bars were fitted/box was attached but I'm curious to know if this would be OK.

Even with its black alloy wheels (well, we are in Essex!) our car certainly didn't look very cool but at least we were able to take all our stuff along and we have camped in luxury for a week!

The very expensive roof box on the Seat website is out of stock and there are none in the UK until later this month, so we hired a Autoplas 450 box and have just bought one in black, to match the car (for only £75 or so plus an extra £20 for the extra wide fittings (because the bars are wide), with the place we hired from generously deducting the cost of a week's hire, so that was really good in these credit crunch times. Can't get excited about roof boxes and although the fittings for our new one are pretty basic, we are only intending to use it once of twice a year. Even the expensive ones look ugly!

There was an annoying whistle (we think from the bars) but this stopped when the box was stuffed full of camping gear. Weight limit for the box is 50Kg (so under the Ibiza weight limit of 75, even with the weight of the box and the bars, I think) but lightweight bulky items were all we used it for and that left plenty of room for heavier stuff inside the car.

Would definitely recommend. Fuel ecomony was lower, as expected, but we were still getting 50+ mpg.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.