Seat Leon MK2 2010 Facelift Sump Plug Oil leak

Jun 8, 2022
Hello

I have a seat Leon mk2 2010 facelift and recently had the sump pan thread repaired. The problem I am having is that the oil is now leaking slightly from the sump plug. I am assuming it could be the washer. I took it back to the garage that carried out the sump pan thread repair and they stated that it is the washer that is at fault. I have now taken it back to the garage three times and they keep stating it is the washer.
I was hoping to fix this issue myself by either installing a sump plug that has a washer already attached on it one that you cannot remove. This is option 1

Before doing this I was thinking of changing the washer that is on the current sump plug to a copper wash or a different aluminium washer. I have a aluminium sump pan

Please could someone help with this, what would be the best cause of action. And if you could also tell me if you have faced this problem and how to fix it. Much appreciated

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
By changing the washer you're going to lose alot of the oil in the sump. A new sump plug and washer is probably best.

Jun 8, 2022
I was hoping to do a service so would be draining the oil from the sump pan.

Any suggestions on what type of washer would be best ?
Copper or aluminium?

Jun 8, 2022
Would you happen to have any links for some good quality washers that I can use ?

I know in the past I have used different washers but the quality was not good at all

Would copper washers from amazon suffice ?

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
The normal sump plug for the CEGA engine has a captive steel washer which is supposed to be replaced as one when it is removed.

Have you had a look at exactly what they've done? Have they put in a repair insert to restore the original bore size or have they enlarged it to a bigger size?

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
So presumably they've provided a new plug of suitable size too? The sort of kits that garages would have to do this sort of job should include a selection of washers too so it's more than a little odd they are just saying the washer is the problem.

In any case, if you are not going to have the plug out to have a look at things until you do the service then I would get a few different widths and types of washers and make a decision about what is most suitable once you've got the plug out.

Personally I think I would have replaced the sump rather than having the thread repaired, but that's just me. Perhaps something to consider though if this proves to be a difficult problem to solve.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.