SEAT Mii on Fifth Gear

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Fith Gear reviewed the Mii on the programme this week. Jonny was driving it in Barcelona and seemed to like it. It was a bright yellow car and I thought it looked quite good on the road in the conditions that it was designed for. Obviously, it is no rocket ship but it seemed fairly perky in traffic. They demonstrated the emergency anti-crash feature, which was pretty spectacular. There is a laser monitoring the car in front and below 19 mph if it thinks you are going to collide with it, it applies the brakes. It is a bit of a gimmick but it seemed to work.

Link to video here:
http://fwd.channel5.com/fifth-gear/videos/road-tests/seat-mii

Adam_

Dec 16, 2010
Gloucestershire
That break thing will just be an excuse for crap driving to some people and when that fails there will be plenty of crashes....

On the up! side (see what i did there :lol:) i do like the look of the seats.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I have to say, I like the idea of returning to cheap, uncomplicated and LIGHT cars. It seems to have gone too far in the other direction at the moment. They just need to inject a bit of fun into the handling and it's all good news.

It will be interesting to see which of the three brands is the biggest seller.

Krash

Duck just kicked in Yo!
Apr 5, 2011
Lincolnshire
looks promising mii seems to be the better looking of the 3 imo
auto brake thing - as good as it seems don't fancy someone testing towards the back of my car

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
I thought the review was lacking in any kind of detail to be honest. Interior shots? Demo of the (optional) media thing? I know he said it cost £7500, but even VW's pricing goes to beyond £12k for an Up with the bells and whistles.

Presumably, the braking thing knocks the car out of gear when it comes to a stop...

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
I thought the review was lacking in any kind of detail to be honest. Interior shots? Demo of the (optional) media thing? I know he said it cost £7500, but even VW's pricing goes to beyond £12k for an Up with the bells and whistles.

Presumably, the braking thing knocks the car out of gear when it comes to a stop...

No it will stall the engine.

FR_Flavoured

They demonstrated the emergency anti-crash feature, which was pretty spectacular. There is a laser monitoring the car in front and below 19 mph if it thinks you are going to collide with it, it applies the brakes. It is a bit of a gimmick but it seemed to work.

Honda has this feature built into a number of their model range - infact they have been using this "feature" for a few years already. Clever stuff, but as with all features like this, you can never 100% rely on these systems to prevent crashes, they should just be used as "aids".

On the Honda, the anti-crash technology doesnt stall the engine or knock the car out of gear :)blink: is that even possible) - both of which could be lethal for other reasons), it progressively applies the brakes just enough to prevent the vehicle getting too close to the car infront - increasing a safe distance between the 2 cars. Granted if the speed drops too much the engine might stall.

Perhaps SEAT does its thing in a more "intrusive" fashion - such as the extreme methods mentioned previously. :rolleyes:
Back on topic, the "MII" looks bland.

Last edited by a moderator:

cupraboy125

Gotta agree with a lot of what has been said, interesting motor though, but is a little bland looking.

Exe_LeonCR

Exeo ST
Feb 12, 2012
Devon
This is already out in Spain i believe and is very well rated. My Mum has one of these on order if the Seat garage are right in what they are saying about it

AndyT_UK

Jan 21, 2011
YO30 / YO25
This is already out in Spain i believe and is very well rated. My Mum has one of these on order if the Seat garage are right in what they are saying about it

It's rated well, but importantly not selling that well in Spain at all. Does the front end design and silly name put off Spanish buyers too? Whoever signed off that stupid name needs sacking. Still annoys me that they chose to call the new Arosa something so meaningless.

On a positive note, it beats the new Fiat Panda easily in What Car review in this month's edition. I think they gave it 5 out of 5.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members