Steering "funny" after replacing control arms

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
I replaced both control arms last weekend, as the rear rubber bearing was shot on drivers side, and not far behind it on the passenger side. Everything went ok, more or less (a few stiff bolts), and the setup looks fine, though I didn't get an alignment check yet.

I've done a couple hundred miles on it already, and in the main, everything feels fine, no wobbling at any speed, car travels straighter than it did before, and the steering wheel is centered (it was tilted slightly to the left before the arms were changed).

The steering only begins to feel a bit funny when traveling at slower speeds and turning, for example around in car parks, so for example, turning the wheels to half-way between when they are pointed straight ahead and fully turned to the left or right, I feel a bit of a pull on the steering wheel as if the wheels want to turn more towards fully turned. Of course, it doesn't, because I'm holding the steering wheel, but it doesn't feel normal. Or am I just used to worn steering?

I'm going to have a look at the weekend, but just wondering if anyone has come across this before, anything I need to check for?

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Sounds like you need the geometry set up properly, most notably the camber as this can make the steering feel particularly weird if it's out and very prominent at slow speeds.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Reactions: mty12345

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Sometimes you haven't done anything wrong, but getting one part sorted highlights other parts that need attention. Do the usual checks of wheel bearings, ball joints and tie rods and make sure everything else is tight.

Thai knows best though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members