Stick With Seat Leon FR ST Or Buy A Skoda Octavia VRS Estate?

Valo

Jul 24, 2015
I'm going to be changing my car in November (I'm on Motability). I'm currently in a Seat Leon FR ST, pre 2016/17 facelift (1.4 TFSI with ACT 150PS) which has been great car. I've been to look at the facelift Leon ST and considering either another 1.4 TFSI or moving up to the the 1.8 TFSI for a bit more power and performance but open to advice if it's worth it?

The other option is the facelifted Octavia vRS (230PS) Estate, which I've also had a look at and really liked what I saw, I realise they are both pretty much identical floor underneath the body as they are both built on the VAG MQB platform. The engine out of the Golf GTI and the massive boot are the selling points here!

I'm keen to keep the current level of equipment I have in my Leon, the one downside with the Skoda is a lot of what is either standard or available at reasonable cost on the Leon are optional on the Octavia. If I decide to go with the Octavia what options do you think are a must on the vRS Estate?

The options that bring the Octavia up to my current Leon are:

Variable boot floor (PK3) £150
Heated windscreen (PH5) £300
Heated front seats (PW0) £250
Heated washer nozzles in front (9T1) £50
Electrically heated, adjustable and folding door mirrors - auto dimming (PW4) £175
Front and rear parking sensors (7X2) £350

Is their anything there that you think I'm potentially wasting money on considering I'l only have the car for three years?

ima

Apr 6, 2014
I swopped my Octavia VRS 220 after 6 months of noise misery. Have a look at the very long threads on briskoda on booming noise from the boot area. The NVH in the Octavia is far worse than the Leon and many including me had serious booming noises that caused pain in the ears so much so I had to get rid as skoda cant solve it. Some cars are okay so second hand would be safer so you know what you are getting. New model still does it so you may get lucky,or not. Octavia doesn't handle as well as Leon either. I'd personally stick with the Leon.

Last edited:

Valo

Jul 24, 2015
I swopped my Octavia VRS 220 after 6 months of noise misery. Have a look at the very long threads on briskoda on booming noise from the boot area. The NVH in the Octavia is far worse than the Leon and many including me had serious booming noises that caused pain in the ears so much so I had to get rid as skoda cant solve it. Some cars are okay so second hand would be safer so you know what you are getting. New model still does it so you may get lucky,or not. Octavia doesn't handle as well as Leon either. I'd personally stick with the Leon.

After a bit more research I'm leaning towards the 1.8 TFSI Leon, currently on Motability at £299 with 18" Alloys and the Convenience Pack included. I'm tempted to wait until September for the new motability prices. There is a chance around that time that a new 2.0 TFSI engine with 190PS will be introduced apparently?

Is it worth the wait or should I just go with the 1.8 and add the Winter Pack to bring it level with my existing Leon?

PaoloB

Jul 10, 2016
I've had the 1.8 since last November. I'm very happy with it too, it's an FR ST with DSG, 18" alloys and convenience pack. I like the look of the VRS however, considering it's a 3 year lease I'd be very reluctant spending a lot of money trying to spec it up and still miss out on some worthwhile standard features that you get with the new Leon.

Performance wise I find the 1.8 more than adequate and can bring a big grin to your face quite easily..

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
After a bit more research I'm leaning towards the 1.8 TFSI Leon, currently on Motability at £299 with 18" Alloys and the Convenience Pack included. I'm tempted to wait until September for the new motability prices. There is a chance around that time that a new 2.0 TFSI engine with 190PS will be introduced apparently?

Is it worth the wait or should I just go with the 1.8 and add the Winter Pack to bring it level with my existing Leon?

I think that's the current top of the line petrol engine offered in the Ateca, both emissions and fuel consumption are a fair bit higher/lower (emissions/consumption) but that's probably because it's pulling a lump :)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members