Sticking caliper?

MA1601

Jan 3, 2023
So lately the cars been feeling as if something is holding it back while driving and getting an intermittent whistling from brakes. Over the weekend I left the car parked with handbrake off and in gear. Today it’s drove a lot more freely. Are the rear calipers prone to sticking on the mk3?

Deleted member 139706

VW calipers aren't "known" to stick moreso than other brands I'd say (unlike Honda or other japanese marques...) but not to say they don't do it.

Are the discs blue? If so they've got hot. Just drive it normally then put your hand near each wheel, easiest way to check if any brakes are sticking - they'll feel hot.

How old is it, and has it ever had brakes done?

Last edited by a moderator:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My tip for you will be to check the wheels after you stop the car, ie after a run, place the back of your hand near the spokes close to the centre of the wheels, if they feel warm, especially the rear ones, then you probably have a partially seized calliper, the fronts would normally be slightly warm from normal use, if they feel hot, again maybe partially seized callipers.

If the rear callipers are aluminium, then salts start to build up on the calliper piston surface and cause it to stick out more than it should, also the same salts start to form under the score seal and that has the same effect - even I have had these issues with VW Group cars. Steel/Iron callipers seem to suffer from the steel ring built into the piston dust cover rusting up and gripping the pistons - I've not had that problem yet.

Of course if any brake is sticking, it might just be that the pads are seizing in the callipers due to a complete lack of maintenance/care!

MA1601

Jan 3, 2023
Thanks guys I'll have a feel over the rear wheels after a drive. I have had sticking calipers previously, on my mk5 Golf and 8P A3 and it was pretty common on that platform.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Any brake can 'stick/bind' front or rear axle, doesn't mater.
Route cause is usually corrosion, either:
Caliper piston
Slide pins
Pads/backplates/abutment clips in the caliper carrier
Park brake mech/cable on rear caliper
More rarely brake hoses can sometimes internally block fluid flow, resulting in binding brake symptoms.

Your brake discs should look nice and shiny when your brakes functioning correctly. Any rusty looking discs would be my place to investigate.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.