Tail Gate Opening by itself during Heavy Rain

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
This keeps happening to my 22 plate Ateca Tail Gate which opens by itself during heavy rain storms. This has happened 4 times this year, its nothing to do with the key fob as on one occasion it happened according to my neighbour at 0630 whilst I was in bed. I got to find out why this is happening as by boot was soaked this. As anybody got any ideas

Tell

Staff member
Not happened to me (fingers crossed). If it's not sitting on the key then clearly a fault. Early Ateca with the virtual peddle were prone to the boot coming up although you have to rule out blokes with tight pants lounging indoors with the keys in the pocket within range. These early models had defective control units in the boot. It feels like that. Mine was delivered with a defective control unit where the virtual pedal didn't work. A months production had this. Suspect it's the chipset playing up since even a straight electrical fault in the button shouldnt lift the boot if the key isnt present at the rear.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Good old Tell that's the most rational explanation I have heard about this problem which affects other Ateca owners. Now I have got the gen I will email Listers and see what they say if anything.

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Just a thought - if the car wasn't locked and local fox, dog, big cat, badger etc decided to shelter underneath during heavy rain would it be able to activate the virtual pedal????

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Thats a possibility robint but I am going to try double locking the car ie with the Fob first and then with the door handle so the only way the car can be unlocked is with the Fob. This also defeats cloning so I will see how I get on and report back

Tell

Staff member
Just a thought - if the car wasn't locked and local fox, dog, big cat, badger etc decided to shelter underneath during heavy rain would it be able to activate the virtual pedal????
No it still needs to read that the key is at the back of the car for the virtual pedal to work. On top of that after the wiggle of the foot you need to step back. It picks up that the key is moved back so the tailgate doesn't hit you. That's one of the failures in use that people have with the virtual pedal, you have to step back to complete the operation. Not just a wiggle. My cat has done it a couple time by accident where he goes under, I jump back and it opens. That's joint working. 🙄

Tell

Staff member
Thats a possibility robint but I am going to try double locking the car ie with the Fob first and then with the door handle so the only way the car can be unlocked is with the Fob. This also defeats cloning so I will see how I get on and report back
The control box if it's that is in the boot somewhere. The dealer would have to replace that. Then they had to reprogramme that side of it. Reckon it was a two hour job from memory. "We have coding to do".

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Just to let you know I tried the double locking method but it didn't work I got up one morning after heavy rain to find the boot open. Hey oh back to the drawing board

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.