Towing with a Leon PHEV? Possible or a stupid idea?

Jul 11, 2021
We're thinking of getting a caravan to tow behind our Leon PHEV but want to see if it is possible first... According to the stats, the car has a Maximum Braked Towing Weight of 1700kg - the caravans we've looked at are in the 1000kg to 1200kg range fully loaded so hopefully no issue there. Back in the day (OK, the 80's) it wasn't recommended to tow with an Auto due to overheating risks but I've read that these days this is not a problem anymore.

So guys, what are you thoughts? is it possible/a good idea to tow a caravan with the PHEV? Has anyone done it? What things should we consider?

Thanks all.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
I would have thought towing with a PHEV would make *more* sense than with just a regular ICE as you've got the torque of the electric motors to assist as well. If the manual says it's rated for 1700kgs, then I wouldn't worry unless you're trying to pull more.

Fergoo

Jun 8, 2020
I agree with Alex, as long as you're within the manufacturer specification you should be fine and the extra torque in hybrid mode, will certainly help you get rolling from a standing start and take some stress off the drive disconnect clutch, which connects the gearbox to the ICE via the motor.

I wouldn't worry about the gearbox being auto, the DSG box resembles more a manual (with clutches and in the case of the PHEV, wet clutches which will further aid cooling), as opposed to a traditional auto with a torque converter that could easily overheat by having to 'pump' harder. There's sensors in the box that will notify you on the dash if it's getting too hot and you can even monitor the DSG temperature from the dash (or you can in the Cupra).

I guess the key thing to note is that you'll be towing an extra 200KG in just the car itself compared to a typical ICE and just being aware that in total that you will have a vehicle the best part of 3 ton stopping on the spongey feeling brakes (which still catch me out sometimes) on the PHEV.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.