Tyre help needed

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Hi all,

So I picked up my ST a year ago with nearly new Bridgestones all round.

I still have a good 4-5mm of tread on the front near side tyre, but the front off side one is down to 3mm, and the outer shoulder in particular is almost on the wear indicators so it needs replacing.

I'll be getting the alignment done when she goes in for a service this month (should have sorted it sooner I know), but want to check re. new tyres - I know best practice is to change in pairs but it's a bit gutting to get rid of the near side one given it's got loads of life left in it!

Thoughts?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Get them replaced as a pair. The alignment should be completed with new tyres anyway.

Keep the one that they take off as a spare (if you have somewhere to store) in case you get a puncture that can’t be repaired.

Reactions: xyz and Three Leons

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
What he said☝️
I think most on here (a car enthusiast forum!) would advise not scrimping on tyres.
Sometimes you can get discounts when buying more than 1x tyre?

Reactions: Three Leons

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
Get them replaced as a pair. The alignment should be completed with new tyres anyway.

Keep the one that they take off as a spare (if you have somewhere to store) in case you get a puncture that can’t be repaired.
👍

Good point about keeping it as a spare, not sure why I didn't think of that 😃

Three Leons

May 18, 2007
Wakefield
What he said☝️
I think most on here (a car enthusiast forum!) would advise not scrimping on tyres.
Sometimes you can get discounts when buying more than 1x tyre?
Cheers, yes I've got a deal for a pair of replacements. I was always going to get both changed - it was just the thought of throwing the other one away but as @black_sheep says obviously I can keep it as a spare!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Cheers, yes I've got a deal for a pair of replacements. I was always going to get both changed - it was just the thought of throwing the other one away but as @black_sheep says obviously I can keep it as a spare!
Aha gotcha, yes keep as a spare - if you have a spare wheel - or put it on ebay as part worn?

Reactions: Three Leons

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
No idea where I got the inspiration from:

Nail was last month, and sidewall damage was debris on the way to work this morning 😭.

Thank the gods that I kept the two rear tyres after getting an unmissable deal on 4 tyres.

Attachments

• 4C6900FC-38EC-4DA2-98F0-31F5AA7CD262.jpeg
    4C6900FC-38EC-4DA2-98F0-31F5AA7CD262.jpeg
    696.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 605CCEDD-1E3B-4F9F-8D07-8B20D103A883.jpeg
    605CCEDD-1E3B-4F9F-8D07-8B20D103A883.jpeg
    681.2 KB · Views: 123

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
No idea where I got the inspiration from:

Nail was last month, and sidewall damage was debris on the way to work this morning 😭.

Thank the gods that I kept the two rear tyres after getting an unmissable deal on 4 tyres.
Feel like crying when I see damaged new tyres 😭😭😭
Hopefully the 'nail' one was fixable - that sidewall damage though 🤬

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Unfortunately, the nail one was too close to the sidewall to get a repair done - new tyre as the tyre had less than 1k miles on it.

Hoping that there is no damage to the rim with the sidewall one - looks like Damage is in the vicinity of the spoke, so likelihood is reduced.

Reactions: Raymond p j Clarke

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
My techs would not repair a puncture less than an inch from the edge but more than that they would do, that nail might be around that mark? Of course they had nothing to gain by refusing to repair in order to get a sale.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The entry point was on the internal radius between the tyre wall and tread, so no chance.

I’ve repaired in this area on an off road platform (emergency repair) to get me to a point where a tyre change could be made.

As above, a PITA, but not worth risking mine or my families’ lives over a couple of hundred quid.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Nightmare

I got a nail in a 100 mile old continental that was not repairable. I was gutted.

Then my new car i bent the alloy on a pothole after 3 weeks

Gutted

Attachments

• 20220125_143718.jpg
    20220125_143718.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 110

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
At least we don't have a new Range Rover on 23's! at £360 PER tyre!!! :sick:

1652857975743.png

My mate hit a pot hole and blew out his tyre - then the very next day hit the exact same pot hole and blew out his brand new tyre!! :eek:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
The alignment should be completed with new tyres anyway.
If carried out after fitting of new tyres its just been jacked up with wheels/suspencion hanging and body twisted unless on a ramp, I've seen many places track on arrival on the old tyres before its jacked/lifted off the ground as all is settleted on arrival, and have personaaly had good results before the car has been lifted, so whats correct???

So difficult to find a place which tracks a car right..

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
This according to the workshop manual:

Attachments

• 7A69177B-584F-4CB6-8C36-F5CAD3454B6D.jpeg
    7A69177B-584F-4CB6-8C36-F5CAD3454B6D.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 88

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I remember being in a tyre place in Manchester somewhere once. There was a dude with a massively bling, tricked out BMW X5 with ridiculously huge wheels at the counter looking visibly distressed as the tyre tech explained they couldn't get tyres for his ridiculous (my words, not his) vehicle for less that around a grand a piece! Wanna look like a moron? You gotta pay like a moron :D.

Reactions: SuperV8

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
If carried out after fitting of new tyres its just been jacked up with wheels/suspencion hanging and body twisted unless on a ramp, I've seen many places track on arrival on the old tyres before its jacked/lifted off the ground as all is settleted on arrival, and have personaaly had good results before the car has been lifted, so whats correct???

So difficult to find a place which tracks a car right..
You're supposed to check the ride heights before adjusting suspension as well - and adjust if necessary - which I'm sure not many do!

Edit# by adjust I mean add weights

They would normally bounce the car to settle it's suspension prior to any measuring/adjustments so i'm not sure jacking a side to change a wheel before hand would be an issue?

You defiantly need to measure both axle at the same time - i've seen garages adjust front and rear axles independently which will never give the correct result.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Nails in tyres, there is a proper guide online somewhere that you can print off and use to check your tyre if you get a nail in it, by doing that you can do your homework and work out if that tyre is not repairable before handing the wheel in, doing that could mean that you are prepared to head to a local place that has the tyre brand you want and at the price you want to pay - opposed to to handing that wheel into your most convenient tyre place only to find that they don't stock the tyre you want, or charge too much for it if they do stock it. Okay working this way will never 100% give the correct answer, but it is a good start! I had a winter tyre with a nail in it and I initially guessed that that tyre was finished, but when I checked it against the printed off profile guide, it passed okay, so that meant that I got it repaired locally - the alternative was to get my local Costco to order in a new Alpin from Michelin and keep putting air in that tyre until it arrived - or ordering in from an online European tyre supplier.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members