V2 petrol or V2/VZ2 hybrid?

Chuck Norris’s beard

Aug 7, 2021
I currently have a V2 190bhp on order. No build date, so absolutely no idea when it will arrive. Facebook yesterday threw up an advertisement for auto trader with loads of Formentors available, primarily V1’s but also a decent number of V2 & VZ2 hybrids, which got me thinking!

My daily commute is less than 10 miles, with the odd bit of running around at weekends (current car has less then 8000 miles and is nearly 4yrs old).

Would a hybrid be any ‘better’ for me?

If it’s worth considering then I have a few questions..

firstly, the list price of the VZ2 tips it over the £40k barrier. Does that automatically mean the extra VED is applicable, even if the car is discounted to below £40k? Or would it then fall into the lower VED category? I’d prefer the VZ2 with 245bhp engine, but if the VED is £400/yr then it may sway me towards the V2 204 instead.

The boot space of the V2 190 on order is 420ltrs? Whereas the boot space in the hybrids is 325ltrs? How much is that in ‘real world’ terms? I have two dogs, a border collie and a Dalmatian, that will travel occasionally in the boot. Would the 100ltr less space in a hybrid be too much of a squeeze?

Lastly, charging. Do the hybrids come with a charging cable? If so, are they the standard UK 3 pin plugs and how long is the cable? If not, how much are the leads to buy?

Apologies for the long post and many questions!

Hizzards

Aug 19, 2021
Can’t comment on which one is best option (I have a Hybrid VZ2 on order so I’m biased), but the VZ2 comes with 3 pin plug and type 2 cable for out and about. I think they’re 5m and they’re ~£150 to buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanwilliams

Jul 28, 2021
I currently have a V2 190bhp on order. No build date, so absolutely no idea when it will arrive. Facebook yesterday threw up an advertisement for auto trader with loads of Formentors available, primarily V1’s but also a decent number of V2 & VZ2 hybrids, which got me thinking!

My daily commute is less than 10 miles, with the odd bit of running around at weekends (current car has less then 8000 miles and is nearly 4yrs old).

Would a hybrid be any ‘better’ for me?

If it’s worth considering then I have a few questions..

firstly, the list price of the VZ2 tips it over the £40k barrier. Does that automatically mean the extra VED is applicable, even if the car is discounted to below £40k? Or would it then fall into the lower VED category? I’d prefer the VZ2 with 245bhp engine, but if the VED is £400/yr then it may sway me towards the V2 204 instead.

The boot space of the V2 190 on order is 420ltrs? Whereas the boot space in the hybrids is 325ltrs? How much is that in ‘real world’ terms? I have two dogs, a border collie and a Dalmatian, that will travel occasionally in the boot. Would the 100ltr less space in a hybrid be too much of a squeeze?

Lastly, charging. Do the hybrids come with a charging cable? If so, are they the standard UK 3 pin plugs and how long is the cable? If not, how much are the leads to buy?

Apologies for the long post and many questions!
Hi Chuck, I changed my mind from the ordering the big beast and went for the VZ2 hybrid due to one being available immediately.

Got it back in June, best decision I made. The performance is still great so I don't feel I'm missing out that much and as I work around 10 miles away then every commute has been on electric and saved me a small fortune.

Car came with a home charge cable (3 pin) and a type 2 charger for when out and about.

I plug mine in at night and every morning its ready for me (using the scheduling) and I can even cool it down or warm it all up prior to me getting in.

I'm fine with the boot space, in fact I like it as the boot inside sits a little higher so has less of a "lift"out with the shopping. I also have 3 dogs who I put in the back and they love it as they can see out the rear window better.

hope this helps.

Chuck Norris’s beard

Aug 7, 2021
Hi Chuck, I changed my mind from the ordering the big beast and went for the VZ2 hybrid due to one being available immediately.

Got it back in June, best decision I made. The performance is still great so I don't feel I'm missing out that much and as I work around 10 miles away then every commute has been on electric and saved me a small fortune.

Car came with a home charge cable (3 pin) and a type 2 charger for when out and about.

I plug mine in at night and every morning its ready for me (using the scheduling) and I can even cool it down or warm it all up prior to me getting in.

I'm fine with the boot space, in fact I like it as the boot inside sits a little higher so has less of a "lift"out with the shopping. I also have 3 dogs who I put in the back and they love it as they can see out the rear window better.

hope this helps.

Thanks for that. How big are your three dogs though? Are we talking chihuahua or Doberman?

Chuck Norris’s beard

Aug 7, 2021
Reactions: deanwilliams

Chuck Norris’s beard

Aug 7, 2021
Iv found an in-stock V2 hybrid in magnetic tech for delivery next week. Iv got it on hold for now. Do I pull the plug or wait for the V2 190 petrol that I have on order?

Reactions: jcbmally

Deleted member 131219

So as I suspected, the VZ2 will cost £480/yr, as the ‘list price’ is over the £40k barrier!
I think you’re right. I bought my VZ2 310 as a used car (it had been the dealer demo) in July for £36,000, plus £155 VED. At the time it was first registered in December last year, the list price was a fraction under £40,000. It’s since crept up above the threshold.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Anyone any ideas about the VED, as per my OP?
If the list price (on the road) is less than £40 then it is £150 tax.
FB1A1DBA-373D-4405-94A8-F247FBEAD741.png

Deckard63

Sep 16, 2021
Iv found an in-stock V2 hybrid in magnetic tech for delivery next week. Iv got it on hold for now. Do I pull the plug or wait for the V2 190 petrol that I have on order?
That’s exactly the spec I have on order. Ordered it end of May, it’s still in production waiting parts with no indication of a delivery date. Which dealer is it? I was going to go for the 190 V2 but I do a lot of short journeys so the hybrid made sense.