Vag com activation

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Hi guys

I'm trying to upgrade my trial version of Vag Com to the real thing. The guy i bought it off gave me an activation code to do so, said that he bought it a while back but never used it, and so let me have it for nowt :D

I've checked the ross tech site, and seen the screen that i need, but can't seem to find it :confused:

How do i find the screen to enter an activation code? I have trial versions of 409.1 and 311.2 and its not on either

George

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Go to the 'about' page, the left hand side should say 'unactivated' or similar. Put your code in and click 'activate' and job done.

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Yeah, i've seen those. But if i do it that way, i'll have to pay for a new code, which i don't want to do if i have a good code

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
There is no such thing as a code. The activations were performed by putting an installation specific file into the VAG-COM folder. So, whatever you have is not making much sense to me. Care to explain what it is you have in your possession? I don't think you have a valid activation.

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
There is no such thing as a code. The activations were performed by putting an installation specific file into the VAG-COM folder. So, whatever you have is not making much sense to me. Care to explain what it is you have in your possession? I don't think you have a valid activation.

Just a code, mixture of numbers and letters, same kind of layout as the code you get when you look in the 'about' section of vag com, where the trial number is

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
I will ask to see if really old versions used that kind of code but what I think you have is the guys original serial number from the about screen. I do not think you have an activation code.

If I am correct, then that code has no meaning. Further, licenses/activations are not transferable party to party nor are they transferable from one computer to another.

As said, I will make certain I am correct and will post later today but, I've been with RT since 2004. I don't ever remember us giving out a "code" to activate a version of the product. Version 311 was the current version when I arrived on the scene and 409 replaced it 8 months after my arrival. Again, I do not recall ever seeing a code used to activate these. But then I am old and senile ........

I'll be back to you.

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
I will ask to see if really old versions used that kind of code but what I think you have is the guys original serial number from the about screen. I do not think you have an activation code.

If I am correct, then that code has no meaning. Further, licenses/activations are not transferable party to party nor are they transferable from one computer to another.

As said, I will make certain I am correct and will post later today but, I've been with RT since 2004. I don't ever remember us giving out a "code" to activate a version of the product. Version 311 was the current version when I arrived on the scene and 409 replaced it 8 months after my arrival. Again, I do not recall ever seeing a code used to activate these. But then I am old and senile ........

I'll be back to you.

Thanks for the reply. So it looks like he didn't know what it was either lol. Never mind, at least i didn't pay for it!

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Version 311.2 did use an activation code. So, I stand corrected. The old man just didn't remember the details. Speaking of the details, they are shown on the following page: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour-old/activation.html

If you are successfully running version 311.2 in shareware mode, you should go the Register/Activate/Transfer screen in VAG-COM. On that screen, you will have a box to put the activation code in.

You can try it but I am doubtful it will work as the activation code would have been generated for a particular computer and matched to it. If you are using that computer, then the code should work. If not, it will not work.

Version 409 required a special activation file. A code does not work with 409.

Starting with version 5XX, all interfaces became dongle interfaces and the licensing information was stored in the particular interface. With the dongle interfaces, we eliminated all the hassles of keeping the license up to date and so on.

The current version of our product is 908 and beta version is out for test and evaluation -version 912. I'm guessing that new full release will occur sometime this spring. Users who have our dongle interfaces can automatically upgrade with no fee.

Remember that version 311 and 409 are now more than 5 years old. Many new features and products have occurred in those 5 years of development. Whether or not those features are beneficial to you is something only you can weigh.

Sorry for any confusion. I hope we have now answered what you needed to know.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
My suggestion is that you download a fresh copy of 311.2 from our web site. If you are using the original computer, you should be able to use said "code" to activate it. You should see the Register/Activate/Transfer screen - but that screen may not appear until you have tried to use the product on a car. If you have not tried it on the car, that screen may not appear.

I don't have a copy of 6 year old software running on my desktop, so I can only refer to the information I have already sent you and guess from there.

Also, are you sure that the 311 version is not already activated? Does it say shareware on the About screen?

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
My suggestion is that you download a fresh copy of 311.2 from our web site. If you are using the original computer, you should be able to use said "code" to activate it. You should see the Register/Activate/Transfer screen - but that screen may not appear until you have tried to use the product on a car. If you have not tried it on the car, that screen may not appear.

I don't have a copy of 6 year old software running on my desktop, so I can only refer to the information I have already sent you and guess from there.

Also, are you sure that the 311 version is not already activated? Does it say shareware on the About screen?

Yeah it still says trial/shareware version. I'll try a fresh download, and go from there

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.