Water in footwell not from the door

Jan 13, 2023
Garage says water is coming in from the seal that runs across the top of the doors from front to back. It's a stick-on rubber seal (it's not the door seal that goes round a door.). Garage can't locate a replacement and doesn't know what it's called. Anyone know?
2005 Leon mk 1 FR

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023
These?

All models are the same for stuff like this, whether 1.4 or Cupra R
Thanks Alexis. I don't think these are what I'm after unfortunately. I want to replace the two long thin seals (about 8 feet long) that run from the front door frame, starting more or less level with the bottom of the windscreen, all the way round the top of both door frames to the rearmost part of the back door frame - if that makes sense. There are only two of these - one for each side of the car - and they appear to be self-adhesive.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thanks Alexis. I don't think these are what I'm after unfortunately. I want to replace the two long thin seals (about 8 feet long) that run from the front door frame, starting more or less level with the bottom of the windscreen, all the way round the top of both door frames to the rearmost part of the back door frame - if that makes sense. There are only two of these - one for each side of the car - and they appear to be self-adhesive.
I think the one you mean is 1M0 837 727 D

If not then have a look here https://seat.7zap.com/en/e/leon+leon+4/le/2005-268/8/831-831010/#11

Not sure if any of them are available any more.

Edit: Are they 100% sure that is where the water is coming from? The vast vast majority of times it's coming from the doors, even if it doesn't look like it. http://dubsteve68.blogspot.com/2011/05/seat-leon-leaking-door-seals-repair.html

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023
Thanks Matty. I've done the doors successfully on an earlier Leon. In that case I could see traces of water running from the bottom of the door over the sill and into the footwell. No traces visible this time though. The garage did various tests and ended up confident that the top (mostly horizontal) seal was the problem. I can see what you mean about lack of availability!

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Is it not the relay cover letting water in?

Just never heard of the seal you mention being a problem as the main door seals (as linked before) do most of the work.

Just did a search on the outer door seal and there's no availability at LLL Parts. Could get away with closed cell foam like draught excluder strips I guess

Jan 13, 2023
Thanks MoToJoJo. I take your point about the door seal doing most of the sealing. When the snow's gone I'll do some more checking with a watering can. I'm not sure what you mean by the relay cover though - where would I find it?

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Thanks MoToJoJo. I take your point about the door seal doing most of the sealing. When the snow's gone I'll do some more checking with a watering can. I'm not sure what you mean by the relay cover though - where would I find it?

Under the wiper arms, it's where the engine loom plugs into the fuse box

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Then it's the other fun part, the pollen filter housing which can also spring a leak on the other side of the scuttle panel

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members