whiney engine noise

Mel D

Hi, My altea xl 2.0 tdi is making a high pitched whiney noise when you reach about 35/40mph, has anyone had this problem,or has any idea what it could be? I've only had my car 2 wks and have also noticed rough patches in the paint on the bonnet and drivers door, I'm wandering whether it has been in an accident does anyone know how I could find this out?
Thanks in advance

how old it the XL? you should have 1-2 years Seat warranty left on it. get it booked in with a Dealer and see what they say about the paintwork and the engine. you cna always get your car HPI'd to check if it has had an insurance claim against an accident.

Mel D

Thanks for your reply My Altea XL was registered mid January 07, I will check with the main dealer on Wednesday when it goes in for 2 replacement alloys and windscreen trim.
Have you got any idea what the whiney noise could be?
What companys are best to do the hpi or vehicle checks?

I have never used an hpi service, though if you bought you car from a dealer they should have hpi'd it before resale. problem is not all accidents are insurance jobs, thus HPI is as only as good as the owner who claims on his insurance.

as to the noise, it could be anything. belts, bearings etc. if the dealer has a good mechanic, and not a "fitter" he should be able to diagnose where the sound is originating from and give you an idea of what is wrong.

Mel D

Hi,
I had a HPI check from the RAC and it doesn't show that there have been any accidents with the vehicle, but I am a bit annoyed with seat because the car was never given a 102 check that I was promised, I thought that they had to do one of these checks for every car sold. I will query the paint work tomorrow.
Thanks