Wierd noise between 1000-2000 rpm 1.5tsi, 130 HP

Jan 16, 2021
Hello to everyone. Sorry for my english and i apologie if someone already posted a similar problem. I have a Seat Leon MK3 Fr, produced 2018, buyed as new în 2019. And i have problems with it. Like a broken volume commad on sterring wheel that's increasing or decresing volume random after i use it even a single time. After, my left side rear led has a bit of water bubles in. The car was never hit or something. I have 31k, i have done at my request first service at 23500 oil+all filters, not at 30k how is recommanded. Anyway the last problem and the most anoying is a sound that i heard it recently, i don't know if IT has something with being very cold outside. First i was thinking that is an engine problem, 1.5 tsi, 130 HP, but now i'm not sure. It happens sometimes only în 1-2-3 under 1200-2000 rpm, as I progres gears the sound is fading. The car is working fine otherwise... But how a new car can be so bad at over 23k euros?? Presing card board is not helping, or the dials...

Video with sound. Anyone knows what is the problem? Thx!

Last edited:

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Welcome to the forum

Issues you have described:

Volume increasing/decreasing - there is the function in the infotainment for ‘speed-dependant volume adjustment’, so as you increase vehicle speed the volume of the stereo will increase to compensate for road/engine/wind noise. It can be adjusted here:

Vehicle >> Sound >> Speed Dependant Volume Adjustment >> Adjust between 0 to 7 (mine is set to 3)

The volume scroll buttons on the steering wheel can also become dirty which can stop them working. There is a thread on here somewhere where I can try to link.

In terms of the condensation on the rear light, if it is a fine mist then this considered normal. If it is big water droplets then there is a failed seal or most likely the unit has been cracked if overtightened when fitted. If the car is under two years old, this should be replaced under warranty (depending on your country of purchase).

In terms of the noise, due to the fact that it is present when the vehicle is not moving, then it is related to the the engine speed which is causing the vibration. The video sounds like a loose heat shield (metal sheets on the underside of the car, that prevent heat from the exhaust damaging the chassis).

If the vibration is inside the car, have someone else drive the vehicle whilst you press trim panels - A pillars either side of the windscreen where they meet the dashboard or transmission tunnel plastic either side of the gear lever are common areas for vibration. You can use felt tape to stop the areas rubbing together.

Reactions: Mr Pig
Jan 16, 2021
Thanks for the answer. Tomorow i will go at seat service to check my problems and see what is happening. I still have waranty until 24 this month. I will let you guys know what they think.

Jan 16, 2021
Hello to everyone. I manage to resolve my problems. The back led light on right side, was a fault from assembly line and they change it for free. The volume control on the steering wheel was a bad quality button and they change for free again (all the buttons, that's the procedure). And for the noise that i have, is from the dashbord behind the steering wheel, the plastic in front of the clocks. The plastic is a bad quality and has no protection from vibrations, although is not moving and it seems to be well implemented, they said is from the points were they merge with the other plastics.Nothing to do there, because i have the risk if i do someting to get even worse noise from other parts. Thx for help and i wish you well. P.S - Buy better cars like the ones were you get 4-5 years guarantee.

Reactions: Mr Pig and Jay5959

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Nice to read that the dealer got most of the issues sorted for free. Chasing the noise of plastic rubbing from inside the dash is usually
fiddly and time-consuming - with no certainty of success, so I'm not surprised they didn't want to tackle that job.

You could try carefully dismantling it yourself, armed with a set of trim removal tools, if you have the time/patience. I've had to do this only
the other day on my 2019 Golf, an annoying 'zizzing' rattle, (only on poor roads) traced to within the interior lights/alarm/glasses holder unit.
All VW forums/internet advice suggested any 'upper' rattle noises would be the sunvisor lamps or makeup mirror covers, but it goes to show
that problems can be different to the expected, even on well-known models.

Incidentally, judging from recent SEAT's I've seen, I'd suggest that they are generally quite well assembled and a match for the likes of KIA
and MG who offer a longer '7 year' guarantee. These longer 5/7 years guarantees are often only full/comprehensive for the first 3 years,
(like most car makers) with the remainder only covering 'major' items like engine and transmission, so are not always as great as they first
seem.
Exact levels of cover can vary from country to country, as will the amount of 'goodwill' help from the dealer/importer if problems occur, which
is another uncertainty for consideration.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
You could try carefully dismantling it yourself, armed with a set of trim removal tools, if you have the time/patience. I've had to do this only
the other day on my 2019 Golf, an annoying 'zizzing' rattle, (only on poor roads) traced to within the interior lights/alarm/glasses holder unit.
All VW forums/internet advice suggested any 'upper' rattle noises would be the sunvisor lamps or makeup mirror covers, but it goes to show
that problems can be different to the expected, even on well-known models.
I had exactly the same problem in the interior light/alarm panel after a couple of months. Took it into the dealer, but typically the noise wouldn't appear on test with me. Fair play to the dealer he investigated whilst I waited and found one of the retaining panel screws had come completely loose/adrift. Refitted and tightened...perfect since.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.