Windscreen and Wheelnut Cover.

Alienatrix

Sep 9, 2017
Windscreen:

Driving along last night and a very small stone hits the windscreen. At first it was just a chip on the passenger side but then saw a crack appear. The cracked line at the moment is approximately 4 inches long, but still on the Passenger side so it's definetely not obstructing my view.

Called Autoglass who said that earliest date they can replace the Windscreen is Thursday. They told me not to worry about the Windscreen shattering though as they are laminated and apparently should last until Thursday without any issues.

Obviously i need to be extra cautious and avoid hitting any big potholes which might increase the crack.

Would you say that it's still safe to drive it the car until Thursday?

Wheelnut Covers:

I have a 67 Plate Leon FR Estate with 18' Alloys. What diameter head am i looking for?

19mm or 21mm?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Would you say that it's still safe to drive it the car until Thursday?
It's "safe" right up to the point where it shatters, causing you to have an accident as you can no longer clearly see the road ahead.

It's "legal" right up to the point where you get stopped by Police and given a fixed penalty and three points on your licence.

But don't worry, I'm sure plenty of people will be along shortly to give you ill-informed opinions and anecdotal evidence of when the same happened to them without incident, so you'll be fine :thumbup:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I'd say keep a close eye on the windscreen. If you get a heavy frost / ice in the next few days that could make a big difference to say a windscreen sitting on a sunny day.

No one is going to be able to give you the answer so you'll need to keep an eye on it yourself and decide.

With regards wheelnut covers, just get them from your local Seat dealer, the cheaper ones online seem to be a bad fit and fall off. I got mine from the dealer and have no issues. Remember if you have a locking wheel nut on each wheel you'll need a 16 hex covers and 4 round.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
This "can't do it for a week" game is becoming all too common with Autoglass

It is made worse by the insurance companies forcing you to use Autogass or you foot the bill.

As Scrogg said - yes you could get a ticket for it. and the crack will get worse.

I am guessing you told them the car was still driveable ?

At the very least - I would want a booking reference from Autoglass in writing
That might get you out of a ticket because you have arranged to have it fixed.

Alienatrix

Sep 9, 2017
Have to say, I was rather dissapointed with the availability dates too.

It's a Motability car too..

Do you think Motability would even provide a Courtesy Car until Autoglass attend?

Looie

Apr 26, 2016
Harlow, Essex
Had a similar thing happen to me recently - stone, small crack which grew over the next few days. Spoke to my dealer about the safety & legal aspect who advised me that as it wasn't in the drivers direct field of vision, it was legal to drive the car, and no the screen won't shatter... so ignore the incorrect comment from someone else........

Autoglass replaced it on a Sunday afternoon at my home, in the sleet/snow/rain... and did a damn good job, could have had it done two days after I phoned them, but I chose to have it done on a weekend to suit me......... turned up on time exactly when they should, so no complaints from me..........

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
Had a similar thing happen to me recently - stone, small crack which grew over the next few days. Spoke to my dealer about the safety & legal aspect who advised me that as it wasn't in the drivers direct field of vision, it was legal to drive the car, and no the screen won't shatter... so ignore the incorrect comment from someone else........
A perfect example of both ill-informed opinion and anecdotal evidence :thumbup:

Other than "my dealer says" are you able to provide a single credible source to back up this claim? There are plenty of sources - insurance companies, windscreen replacement companies and the Highway Code - confirming that driving with a damaged windscreen could be both dangerous and illegal, but I am unable to find one contradicting them...

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
Do you think Motability would even provide a Courtesy Car until Autoglass attend?
It's worth asking the question. The Customer Services team in Bristol are really good, and will usually do all they can to keep their customers mobile.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.