Yet another tyre post :)

chrishale

May 31, 2010
Manchester, UK
I've just about to reach 10,000 miles in my 280, and I'm looking to ditch the Bridgestones. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the Michelin PSS, but I'm not sure whether to replace all 4 or just the front.

While I'd like to start a fresh with 4 new corners, it feels like it would be a waste to change the rears; considering how much tread is left. I had a few months running winters, so they've only been used for ~8 months / 7,000 miles.

So, my question is; would I notice the difference in getting new tyres on the rears as well? Or would it be diminishing returns?

For context:
- My Cupra is 100% standard at the moment.
- I commute into Manchester every day, and rarely get above 20mph day to day.
- I'm 24 years old, and I'll admit - I drive like it sometimes :rolleyes:
- I don't get much chance for spirited driving, but when I do I'm far from an expert.

Thanks in advance!

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I've just about to reach 10,000 miles in my 280, and I'm looking to ditch the Bridgestones. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the Michelin PSS, but I'm not sure whether to replace all 4 or just the front.

While I'd like to start a fresh with 4 new corners, it feels like it would be a waste to change the rears; considering how much tread is left. I had a few months running winters, so they've only been used for ~8 months / 7,000 miles.

So, my question is; would I notice the difference in getting new tyres on the rears as well? Or would it be diminishing returns?

For context:
- My Cupra is 100% standard at the moment.
- I commute into Manchester every day, and rarely get above 20mph day to day.
- I'm 24 years old, and I'll admit - I drive like it sometimes :rolleyes:
- I don't get much chance for spirited driving, but when I do I'm far from an expert.

Thanks in advance!

It would be a waste, but the Bridgestones are naff.

If you get 2 new tyres the new rubber will go on the back anyway and the rears will be moved to the front. It's common practice.

pulpmelon_280

Jul 24, 2015
I always put my best tyres on the front.

The front tyres do all of the steering, accelerating and stopping on a FWD car.
Plus its virtually impossible to bring the back around fully on a FWD hatch back with all of the ESP assists these days, even when driving like a mong.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I normally do the front to rear thing, but this time as I wanted to see if the Goodyears would be an improvement over the oem Bridgestone's, and given that they had only covered 10k I had the GY's on the front. Have covered 3k+ since, Goodyears are definitely an improvement, and , having done a few runs around Evo triangle and other assorted roads haven't noticed any handling issues. Perhaps if I was tracking it I might, but as its wife's daily driver and she'd struggle to notice if a wheel fell off, I don't think its going to be an issue. :)

chrishale

May 31, 2010
Manchester, UK

The front tyres do all of the steering, accelerating and stopping on a FWD car.

Yeah, this was my thinking as well. I'd like all four corners the same, but I'm just not sure if spending another 300 odd quid getting the rears replaced as well would make enough difference for me to notice. :shrug:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015

I used to do that as well but it's wrong. I looked into it a few years ago when I discovered that the police always fit new tyres on the back and move the part-worns to the front.

It's because you have a much better idea of what the front tyres are doing and are better at controlling them. If the front starts to loose traction or skid you stand a much better chance of catching it than you do a rear skid.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I used to do that as well but it's wrong. I looked into it a few years ago when I discovered that the police always fit new tyres on the back and move the part-worns to the front.

It's because you have a much better idea of what the front tyres are doing and are better at controlling them. If the front starts to loose traction or skid you stand a much better chance of catching it than you do a rear skid.

The back tyres are very important but the Potenzas with plenty of tread are fine on the back.

pulpmelon_280

Jul 24, 2015

Heard it all before.

Its hard to get the arse round in a hatch back with lift off oversteer/trail braking on purpose, let alone by accident.

I'm 100% fully committed to 'doing it wrong' after scary understeer moments on budgets in the wet.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Its hard to get the arse round in a hatch back with lift off oversteer/trail braking on purpose, let alone by accident.

In good conditions I agree but on wet, slimy, snowy roads all bets are off. If you have a significant difference in tread depth front to back it is totally possible to slide the back end before the front. Years ago I had a Nissan Primera GT and it came with Pirelli P6000 tyres (I think that's what they were) and even with good tread I could slide the back end at will in the wet. I actually binned that perfectly good set of tyres because of it.

pulpmelon_280

Jul 24, 2015
Another dynamic trait of a FWD car that makes front axle traction more important for me personally, is an oversteer situation is easily fixed by a dab of throttle. Where I find that once the front is on a slide, you cant steer out of it and the brakes dont do anything.

I can understand why the standard advice suggests a preference toward rear axle grip, as Joe public usually panics and applies the brakes making the whole event more dangerous.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire

Your not trying hard enough.. :D

Another dynamic trait of a FWD car that makes front axle traction more important for me personally, is an oversteer situation is easily fixed by a dab of throttle. Where I find that once the front is on a slide, you cant steer out of it and the brakes dont do anything.

I can understand why the standard advice suggests a preference toward rear axle grip, as Joe public usually panics and applies the brakes making the whole event more dangerous.

^ This .. ;)

Last edited:

pulpmelon_280

Jul 24, 2015
My favorite setup was on a Civic. 225 tyres up front, 205's on the rear with a 300% stiffer than stock rear sway bar. The car was corner weighted on fully adjustable coilovers and was able to rotate really well.

Last edited:

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
I fitted a pair of Michelin pss to the front of my St and kept the oe Bridgestone on the rear. Mine is only the 184fr so not as powerful as the cupra but still transformed the grip levels. Still feels perfectly secure and stable with the Bridgestone on the back which have less tread than the Michelin. Steering feel was also much improved and car feels more alert.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a2479/4243992/

If you Google you can find lots of info on why it's safer/better to have the best tyres on the back. If you've ever driven on a skid pan with bald rear and bald front tyres, which is one of things they show you in skid training, you'll get it pretty fast. With bald fronts I found it very hard to skid the car as I instinctively caught it all the time, even when I was trying to loose it. With bald rears the back was gone before I knew what was happening, I spun the car almost every time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/tyre-safety/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzQQfT5O84

Last edited:

pulpmelon_280

Jul 24, 2015
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a2479/4243992/

If you Google you can find lots of info on why it's safer/better to have the best tyres on the back. If you've ever driven on a skid pan with bald rear and bald front tyres, which is one of things they show you in skid training, you'll get it pretty fast. With bald fronts I found it very hard to skid the car as I instinctively caught it all the time, even when I was trying to loose it. With bald rears the back was gone before I knew what was happening, I spun the car almost every time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/tyre-safety/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzQQfT5O84

Post as much as you like... I set my cars up with a lose tail, it fits my driving style and abilities.

This is all part of being individuals and having different opinions & preferences.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)

Very true, so if you are just an average driver, put them on the back, but if like most on here with a lot of experiece of track/skidpan/fast wet country roads put them on the front like I have for the last twenty plus years.

Last edited: