Leon FR+ 2.0 TSI Clutch Slipping...

chriskeegan

Seat Leon FR+
May 14, 2017
Kent
Evening.

Had my Leon FR+ mapped 4 weeks ago and up until now I have had no obvious problems and the car has driven perfectly.

Took the car into a tuning garage yesterday for a Dyno run to confirm mapped figures (265bhp and 298lb/ft) and came away with a nice smooth power curve after a couple of runs.

The problems started on my drive home, I was in 6th and put the accelerator down only to be met by a spike in revs, almost redlining and no increase in speed. I dropped to 5th and the same thing happened. I phoned the tuning company up and they advised me to try it with traction control off. This seemed to fix the problem and then when I turned it back on the car was back to accelerating like normal.

I have been out in it again today and the same problem has arisen but it is now happening in 4th gear too, the thing is it doesn't happen every time which makes me think it could be the clutch on it's way out. Another thing to note is when I was in 6th gear it was asking me to upshift which is impossible as I have a 6 speed manual. The gear changing number also seems to jump around and incorrectly think I am in 4th or 5th gear when I am accelerating in 6th.

Now I know this might sound stupid but apart from the clutch slipping being the obvious problem, could it be anything they had changed in the ECU to get a smooth curve. I vaguely remember him adjusting the timing or start time from 100% up to 120% and 130% whilst on the rolling road but I assumed this would default back to normal after the car was off the dyno.

If needed I can post a video of the dash as I accelerate but any advice or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Sorry for the essay! :)

Chris.

Last edited:

chriskeegan

Seat Leon FR+
May 14, 2017
Kent
Sorry for the double post.

Been thinking about this a little bit more over night.

Car has only done 26k miles and is on the original clutch.

As mentioned before the car was revving fine with no slippage before it had a run on the dyno. Could it possibly be something that was changed in the ECU during the dyno run that is causing the issue as opposed to the clutch slipping due to wear?

Chris.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
The FR+ is the TSI, not TFSI :).

It is a bit suspect if its only started after the remap and I doubt clutch slip would make the screen showing the gear mess up.

Is the rolling road not the same place you got the remap then? If it was fine before the RR and they plugged it in and changed things then maybe they buggered it up..

chriskeegan

Seat Leon FR+
May 14, 2017
Kent
Cheers for the response.

Not sure because there are quite a few FR+ engines, mine is the Petrol 2.0 TFSI (208bhp and 207lb/ft as standard)

Yes I have a print out of the dyno which I will upload below. My only issue is that before it had the dyno it was absolutely fine in every gear with no slipping but straight after it has started slipping in gears 3-6. Is this just coincidence or is it due to the car being pushed to its limits on the dyno?

Chris.

Last edited:

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Did you have the car tuned whilst on the dyno or was it already tuned before and you were just confirming the figures.

Could be that the dyno pushed the clutch to the max (due to your torque) and has now burnt the clutch.

Last edited:

chriskeegan

Seat Leon FR+
May 14, 2017
Kent
Sorry, I should have mentioned, the car wasn't dyno'ed before and after the map. The car was mapped elsewhere without the use of a dyno, just a pre edited ECU file. The car then drove absolutely fine for 2000 miles over 4 weeks and even on route to the dyno it was pulling normal in every gear. Then whilst it was on the dyno (at a separate impartial garage) I had the power curve recorded. Then on the drive home the car started to slip in higher gears. That's why I'm not sure if they might have changed something in the ECU to get a smoother power curve or has the dyno just taken the clutch over the edge and destroyed it?

Chris.

Last edited:

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
A dyno wouldn't change anything with your car, they might plug into your diagnostics port to get some further info from the car (like you've got oil temp).

A dyno run also wouldn't be how you'd drive your car in normal driving, it doesn't say what gear they used but it's usually floor it from 4th or maybe 5th as your dyno says they got to 136mph. Low revs and high gear = high load on clutch.

You have got the same engine as me and like I said you're running more torque than me and I had the clutch slipping under load so I would say your clutch has had it.

Hope that helps? Nice figures though.

Last edited:

chriskeegan

Seat Leon FR+
May 14, 2017
Kent
Cheers for the reply.

It was quite an advanced modern dyno so there was loads of information on screen (most of which I didn't understand) but I remember him playing around with some special settings to do with timing and start time increasing it to 120% to get a smooth curve and iron out some small lumps so I wasn't sure if that had changed the ECU and was now affecting the boost or timing to cause the slippage.

The power run was indeed done in 5th gear as he said this was almost in line with a 1:1 ratio so as you mentioned maybe the flooring it in low revs from 5th has taken an already worn clutch over the edge and highlighted a bigger problem? I just wasn't sure as there is only 26k on the original clutch and iv seen people on here quoting similar stage 1 figures and the clutch has lasted in the 50-75k region, maybe I'm just unlucky?

They were quite impressed with the figures from a standard map, it was more than what had been quoted to me too so I was quite chuffed until the drive home! :(

Chris.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Mileage on a clutch doesn't mean a lot really depends how it's been driven, you could kill a clutch very quickly if you wanted. You don't know how the previous owner treated it, but then any slippage is slowly heating and wearing it out due to quickly spinning discs!

On your dyno it says peak torque around 3k - 3.5k rpm. Does it slip if floored from these revs? Does it slip if it's higher up the rev range (less torque)?

chriskeegan

Seat Leon FR+
May 14, 2017
Kent
I picked it up at 7000 miles with one female owner so I'm probably to blame if the clutch has been destroyed! :whistle:

Yeah it seems to be if I floor it from 3k revs in 3/4/5/6 it slips up to the redline so I have to come off the accelerator. If I build the speed up from 2nd and shift at about 5-6k revs there doesn't seem to be as much slippage so this probably confirms it?

Just to pick your brains, what uprated clutch did you fit in the end, can you point me any direction? How much did it cost in total? Has your car held all the power down since changing or do you still experience slipping?

Chris.

OldManPooley

Jul 9, 2015
You have two options mate. 1 Replace your clutch. 2 Stop booting it at low revs in higher gears.

Not what you wanna hear but its that simple

chriskeegan

Seat Leon FR+
May 14, 2017
Kent
Haha ignore I said that then. Yes definitely confirms it, it's not the BHP that affects the clutch it is the torque because it's the pulling power that it has to transfer.

The only clutch I could find for my engine code which is CCZB (look on the left side of your engine if it says 'CCZ' then it's the same.

Mine is a SACHS because there isn't a big selection for the engine type unless you're in the US. It's the organic rated at 407lb/ft link: https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-...formance-clutch-kit-for-seat-leon-1p-2-0tfsi/

The clutch at first was a lot stiffer than OEM, but loosened up after 500 miles and you still notice it has a better bite and clamps well and yes no slipping.

That's the one I had been looking at, think I can get it slightly cheaper from another source. Did you change the DMF at the same time or just keep the standard one?

chriskeegan

Seat Leon FR+
May 14, 2017
Kent
You have two options mate. 1 Replace your clutch. 2 Stop booting it at low revs in higher gears.

Not what you wanna hear but its that simple

Yeah I was assuming this but just a bit gutted as the car has seemed to run perfect after the remap so was hoping the original clutch would hold out for a few more miles!

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Cheers for the response.

Not sure because there are quite a few FR+ engines, mine is the Petrol 2.0 TFSI (208bhp and 207lb/ft as standard)

Yes I have a print out of the dyno which I will upload below. My only issue is that before it had the dyno it was absolutely fine in every gear with no slipping but straight after it has started slipping in gears 3-6. Is this just coincidence or is it due to the car being pushed to its limits on the dyno?

Chris.

There's 1 FR+ diesel and 1 petrol, the TSI.

The TFSI is the old 197bhp in the pre-facelift Leons.