Wheel hop

jr795

Dec 28, 2023
Hi folks, just wondering which cars suffer from wheel hop? Is it all Cupras?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Might be down to the brand of tyres you’ve got on your car, the current winter temperatures, weather conditions and whether the tyres are summer tyres. Driving style is also a factor. Bear in mind that in lower temperatures (below around 6-7 degrees C), summer tyres don’t perform at their best during the winter, so wheel hop is more likely than at other times of the year.

I found Bridgestone summer tyres were very prone to wheel hop and tramping on my VW, and that was during summer / autumn UK weather conditions. I‘m not what I’d call a particularly enthusiastic driver these days, but it was very easy to induce wheel hop without really trying. I swapped the Bridgestones for Michelin PS4, and no more wheel hop for me; don’t know if that would be the case for everyone - as said above, driving style will be a factor.

Reactions: jr795

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Seconded ☝🏼 tyres make a big difference. Traction control also plays a part, on or off = wheel hop or wheel spin I’ve found. And the driving mode makes a difference. Ultimately, if you floor it from stationary, it’ll struggle to put the power down as it’s FWD not AWD. It’s best to floor it when rolling, and maybe drop a gear before you do.

Reactions: topmark56 and jr795

jr795

Dec 28, 2023
Might be down to the brand of tyres you’ve got on your car, the current winter temperatures, weather conditions and whether the tyres are summer tyres. Driving style is also a factor. Bear in mind that in lower temperatures (below around 6-7 degrees C), summer tyres don’t perform at their best during the winter, so wheel hop is more likely than at other times of the year.

I found Bridgestone summer tyres were very prone to wheel hop and tramping on my VW, and that was during summer / autumn UK weather conditions. I‘m not what I’d call a particularly enthusiastic driver these days, but it was very easy to induce wheel hop without really trying. I swapped the Bridgestones for Michelin PS4, and no more wheel hop for me; don’t know if that would be the case for everyone - as said above, driving style will be a factor.
Seconded ☝🏼 tyres make a big difference. Traction control also plays a part, on or off = wheel hop or wheel spin I’ve found. And the driving mode makes a difference. Ultimately, if you floor it from stationary, it’ll struggle to put the power down as it’s FWD not AWD. It’s best to floor it when rolling, and maybe drop a gear before you do.
Thanks guys. PS4/5 would be my go to

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
My 2016 manual Cupra 290 suffered terribly especially if there was any steering angle on but I adapted my driving to minimise it. Seems much less of an issue on my current 2020 Cupra 290 DSG.

jr795

Dec 28, 2023
My 2016 manual Cupra 290 suffered terribly especially if there was any steering angle on but I adapted my driving to minimise it. Seems much less of an issue on my current 2020 Cupra 290 DSG.
Seemingly the later GPF 290s have an upgraded dogbone from factory. I'm trying to work out if the 300 also benefitted from that upgraded part but I'm not sure if it did

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Seemingly the later GPF 290s have an upgraded dogbone from factory. I'm trying to work out if the 300 also benefitted from that upgraded part but I'm not sure if it did
Speaking of dogbones, I’ve added an insert from Powerflex. Its worthwhile doing.

Reactions: missmouse and jr795

jr795

Dec 28, 2023
There are loads of good tyres. The Michelins are expensive in my opinion.
Yeah they are on the pricier side, for me I've always seen tyres as being worth investing more in as they are the only contact the car has with the road. Especially when you're trying to put down 300PS through fwd. What cheaper tyres do you recommend for the Cupra?

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Yeah they are on the pricier side, for me I've always seen tyres as being worth investing more in as they are the only contact the car has with the road. Especially when you're trying to put down 300PS through fwd. What cheaper tyres do you recommend for the Cupra?
I’ve used a fair few different ones, Michelin PS4s’s, Uniroyal Rainsport 5s, Pirellis, Continentals. Depends if you like to swap Summer and Winter tyres. If you can afford to, I’d go with the Michelins. Very good grip in the dry, and good wet grip too.

jr795

Dec 28, 2023
I’ve used a fair few different ones, Michelin PS4s’s, Uniroyal Rainsport 5s, Pirellis, Continentals. Depends if you like to swap Summer and Winter tyres. If you can afford to, I’d go with the Michelins. Very good grip in the dry, and good wet grip too.
Cheers, to be honest I normally just use summer tyres year round, I live in Scotland but they salt the roads like crazy near me so it's never much of an issue seemingly. Might have to get a set of winter tyres with a Cupra though I guess

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Cheers, to be honest I normally just use summer tyres year round, I live in Scotland but they salt the roads like crazy near me so it's never much of an issue seemingly. Might have to get a set of winter tyres with a Cupra though I guess
I just use Summer tyres all year round. I switched to 18 inch alloys though from hr stock 19s.

Jan 6, 2024

Which Bridgestone tyres did you have? I also live in the UK and I have Bridgestone Turanza 6 summer tyres on my car.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.