Smaller wheels/new tyres

dundeedek

Jun 22, 2023
Hi all!
Hopefully a quick question for folk re better rixe;

The ride on my FR ST is poor on 18" wheels, but the front two tyres are nexen, back two are Brickstones.

I've seen a good deal locally for 4 x 16" Leon alloys. Do I go for these for £200, and keep my 18s for a future buyer, or do I just get Eagle F1s for my 18" wheels?

FYI, I have the 1.4 with no adaptive suspension .

Cheers in advance.

Derek

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The OP wants a better quality ride though, and he'll not get that by keeping the 18s on it
True, but as GP suggested, eventually changing the current tyres to ones that are known to be more compliant AND taking advantage of the locally available used 16" wheels and fitting them with all season or winter tyres is another option.

dundeedek

Jun 22, 2023
Cheers for the answer folks. I agree that getting 16's *as well* and replacing the wheels on both is a good solution, but too rich for me. It's either change the tyres on the 18s or replace with the 16s on all season tyres (but keep the 18s for someone else when I come to sell on).

From the answers above, the difference on changing to 16s regardless of tyre will have much more difference than just the tyre change on 18s. I've found 16" golf alloys I can change the centre caps on for even less so may go for that. Depends if the difference on changing to Eagle F1s will be a significant improvement on the 18s or just marginal unlike the change to 16.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi all!
Hopefully a quick question for folk re better rixe;

The ride on my FR ST is poor on 18" wheels, but the front two tyres are nexen, back two are Brickstones.

I've seen a good deal locally for 4 x 16" Leon alloys. Do I go for these for £200, and keep my 18s for a future buyer, or do I just get Eagle F1s for my 18" wheels?

FYI, I have the 1.4 with no adaptive suspension .

Cheers in advance.

Derek
16's will be a much bigger comfort improvement than changing brand of 18" tyre.

Reactions: dundeedek

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
I have the same with my 18" rims. On the beginning i had Bridgestone Potenza and they was horrible. Changed to Michelin Primacy 4 it bring improvement but after 40 000 km they are become lauder and start causing small vibration. Now thinking to change tires to Bridgestone Turanza 6 or Goodyear Asymmetric 6.

Soon in Poland will be winter and i will change tires to winter one (on 16" rims) and on spring i will go to my collogue who also has same leon with same rims but he changed tires to Goodyear and he states that they are very good.

Without doubt 16" tires will bring more comfort but problem is that they will be more soft during faster ride and also don't forget that back of our cars i totally not sound profred. Next year i will dela with it. I heard differences on another Leon before and after - worth to do it.

Reactions: dundeedek

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
With my Cupra ST I changed from 19's to 17's for winter time. The 17's made a huge difference with comfort even compared to running 18's.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5 is a great tyre and shouldn't be too harsh even on 18'' wheels. Just make sure you're not running the stupidly high standard tyre pressure.

18'' down to 16'' is a big drop and you will notice the difference in handling. The car won't turn in as sharply and it will generally feel looser. 17'' would be a better compromise.

Also note that you'll need to tell your insurance company. 16'' wheels were never an option on the FR so they might get antsy about that.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
18'' down to 16'' is a big drop and you will notice the difference in handling. The car won't turn in as sharply and it will generally feel looser. 17'' would be a better compromise.

Also note that you'll need to tell your insurance company. 16'' wheels were never an option on the FR so they might get antsy about that.
Also need to check the 16/17" goes over the calliper depending on which disc's you have..

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all for a change of wheels then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Reactions: Walone
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.