mufflerectomy...

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
:wtf: £400 i hope that was for a turbo back system but thats still sounds alot. I don`t understand why 2.25" pipe should be more expensive then 2.5" pipe or why it should make much difference labour wise which is used since the exhaust will still follow the same route. Glad you walked out of there and didn`t let them take the piss. I cannot help you about custom exhaust people near you, sorry.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
I paid £150 in London for it at a powerflow garage. Cant believe they wanted £400... thats madness. I just got my backbox cut off, about an inch before it, and then used bout a foot of 2.25 with a Cupra style tip.

Well done for walking out though!!

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
£400 was for cat-back, didn't even bother asking what turbo-back would be after that.

they were saying 2.5 would be harder to route round the rear of the car :confused: but its not lowered, so i didn't think .25 of an inch would have made much of a difference.

Also, what came as a bit of a surprise to me, was that he said they use 304 stainless, which he said was better than the 314 that powerflow use. :wtf: i have just finished my degree, and if i remember correctly 314 has higher corrosion resistance than standard 304, which is the basic austenitic stainless.

i know there is one stainless that has high corrosion resistance in low heat applications, but introduce high heat, like exhaust gases, and it corrodes bloody quickly, but i think that is just on marine grade stainless - 316.

JKM ar very highly recommended for their services, and i will be going there to get other things done in the future, but not for an exhaust.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
£400 for a cat back system :roflmao: No wounder you walked away ! Sorry but if it was me i would have laughed in there face, all they have to do is bend a bit of pipe and fit a tail pipe on the end.What the hell would they want for a turbo back system, £1000 ? If you want PM me there phone number and i will phone them up for a quote i could do with a bloody good laugh.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
I got my muffler chopped with a nice 6" x 4" oval for £100 all in. So its basically a 2.25 pipe cat back (a bit of which is stainless ;) ) - Job Done

This was at Exhaust UK in Sheffield - a bit Max Power i know, but i like it!

T. Spark

EdButler said:
I got my muffler chopped with a nice 6" x 4" oval for £100 all in. So its basically a 2.25 pipe cat back (a bit of which is stainless ;) ) - Job Done

This was at Exhaust UK in Sheffield - a bit Max Power i know, but i like it!

Same with me, didnt go for the max power style 10 zorst out the back, kept to a nice twin pipe, like the OEM one,

Got mine done for £95 :D

Red LCR TDI

Feb 15, 2006
Portsmouth
mikey, i don't need to PM you their phone number, JKM are one of the sponsors of this site, and as such can be found in the sponsors and supporters area, that was one of the reasons i went to them. I had heard great things, and I'm sure they are really good, just not for custom exhaust work. :shrug:

I had previously spoken to Pabs, who also recommended them, whilst chatting with the guys there, his name was mentioned and they said he was a regular and spends loads at their place. Now I can see why! :lol:

Let me know what quote they give you if you get bored and need a giggle :cartman:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Old thread I know but I've just had this done too. Nothing wrong with keeping old quality threads alive.

Did anyone experience more smoke after the mufflerectomy? Only had mine done 1 day ago and a bloke at work has already approached me saying it was dangerous following me to work this morning (and I only tickled the gas on the way to work)

Can't say I've noticed any smoke in the rear window, but he said he thought I was 007 with my smoke screen pumping.

Is a ECU reset worth doing?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Some maps are smokier than others but i think its more the system cleaning itself out now the backbox has gone. All diesels smoke tbh...

brad1

come on my man jonjay, look in his signature, he has p-torque lol ;)

brad1

strugers1 smokes alot, everytime he puts his foot down, its a cloud of black smoke. cant wait for him to smoke amd out on the rollers lol

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
I'm in league for this year's smokiest tractor in town competition and mine has the stock exhaust system still on,,, smoke depends on how much fuel gets burnt into the cylinders, more unburnt fuel = more particulate = more smoke,,, and unless you got a dpf system [which is not your case] the exhaust system does not reduce any smoke,,, just the catalyzer reduces dangerous emissions but not smoke,,, so, I don't think the smoke is muffler related at all,,,

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
I'm in league for this year's smokiest tractor in town competition and mine has the stock exhaust system still on,,, smoke depends on how much fuel gets burnt into the cylinders, more unburnt fuel = more particulate = more smoke,,, and unless you got a dpf system [which is not your case] the exhaust system does not reduce any smoke,,, just the catalyzer reduces dangerous emissions but not smoke,,, so, I don't think the smoke is muffler related at all,,,
ayy-up mester, put a drop of bio in that should fix it:ban: luv chesh':wtf:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Take it from that the P-Torque is known as a smokey map then.

I think the chap at my work was slightly OTT with what he was saying, surely if there was that amount of smoke I would be able to see it coming up past my rear window.

I can only see some smoke when its first turned over and cold.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Take it from that the P-Torque is known as a smokey map then.

I think the chap at my work was slightly OTT with what he was saying, surely if there was that amount of smoke I would be able to see it coming up past my rear window.

I can only see some smoke when its first turned over and cold.
No not at all just saying that remap tdi's are smokey...jabba remapped tdi's are smokier :)

I am sure you got nothing to worry about. Changing fuel from supermarket stuff to Shell Extra makes a difference.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Changing fuel from supermarket stuff to Shell Extra makes a difference.

Not used supermaket fuel since November when I bought the car. I've done 95 miles now and the MPG seems to be settling back down to normal.

Might take it for a motorway run tomorrow, see if I can clear any webs out.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members