Front Right Knocking

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
Sorry haven't got time to read all these comments in a rush..

Mine did this 3 weeks ago and it was down to subframe bolts

The ones between the suspension front arms

Get the torque checked... Hope this helps

crystal-clear

I now have this problem MK2 Cupra, when going over bumps on the right hand side of the car, it knocks!

I've checked the car numerous times, had a big bar on all bushes and ball joint, absolutely no play at all.

Losing the will to live with it now :(

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
its either top mounts or droplinks

Droplinks look and feel fine, top mounts feel fine also

my subrame has been of a few times recently so i know the bolts are fine

crystal-clear

I have checked drop links thoroughly... I find it hard to believe that they are gone... there is no play in the strut top mounts...

My subframe has never been off, but I was able to tighten the bolts up 1/4 turn, but still I get a knocking noise!

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
As the suspension arms come down for the left and right wheels there are 2x subframe bolts up threw the arms. You will need it up on a ramp too tighten these ones up

And a long socket adaptor around 60 nm torque

If you look in the come mk2 faults pages you will find a video.

I will try and post some pics

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
I also have this knocking sound I check my subframe bolts but is not this unfortunately ...

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I've replace the standard stretch bolts on the subframe along with the shims as shown above, but I still have the knocking sound. The drop links and top mounts 'look' fine but I haven't ruled them out completely. I do however think my knocking may be steering rack related :-(

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
As the suspension arms come down for the left and right wheels there are 2x subframe bolts up threw the arms. You will need it up on a ramp too tighten these ones up

And a long socket adaptor around 60 nm torque

If you look in the come mk2 faults pages you will find a video.

I will try and post some pics

is the bolt your talking about at around 4:30 onwards on that ECS video?

roney1986

I have the same problem and it is driving me mad. Replaced the ARB bushes and drop links a couple of weeks ago but it has not made a bit of difference. The noise that I have, you would literally think the car was ready to fall apart!!

crystal-clear

I rechecked my subframe bolts today.. all torqued up to spec and I also took off ARB drop links to rule them out. It still knocks.

Hope I get to the bottom of it.

roney1986

I rechecked my subframe bolts today.. all torqued up to spec and I also took off ARB drop links to rule them out. It still knocks.

Hope I get to the bottom of it.

What have you torqued the sub frame bolts to? I tried taking off the drop links but no difference either!

crystal-clear

What have you torqued the sub frame bolts to? I tried taking off the drop links but no difference either!

80NM .. Mine sounds like something is really loose.. definitely not the subframe... it doesn't knock when turning steering wheel whilst stationary, only when going over bumps in the road.

crystal-clear

I have just replaced my clutch for a paddle unit with SMF and recently done my cambelt too. Knocking developed shortly after doing these parts.

I have retraced all of my steps to eliminate loose bolts but can't find anything.

Peter 87

Aug 23, 2011
80NM .. Mine sounds like something is really loose.. definitely not the subframe... it doesn't knock when turning steering wheel whilst stationary, only when going over bumps in the road.

Same as mine

Same here mine does this going over small potholes/uneven road etc, had car in for service and the mechanic said he tightened the subframe bolts and the noise is still there, just bought some droplinks should get them fitted this weekend ill let u know if they fix the problem.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.