Help - Lumpy Idle during DPF since recall

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
Hi,

Hoping someone on here can maybe point me in the right direction!

I currently drive a 1.6tdi, 2011 Ibiza. I got a letter from SEAT last year about the recall but never got it done due to work etc. Then got another letter about 4 months ago and a call from the dealership making it sound like this had to be done, so I left it in and got it done, thinking nothing of it. This was obviously mistake number 1.

Since I have left it in, I have had serious MPG issues averaging around 30 mpg atm, whereas before I was getting 50+. I can live with this, however I am getting a really jerky, lumpy idle when the car goes into DPF Regen mode (which it seems to be doing every 4 or 5 days...) whereby the rev counter bounces from 800 - 1200 and back again when idling. The car drives completely fine when it's moving. It's just when it's stopped.

I opened up the engine bay yesterday when it was doing this yesterday and quite frankly it scared the life out of me. The engine was jumping and shaking like crazy and almost seemed like it was going to stall.

I have videos of all of this but unfortunately cannot post links yet.

The car has already been in twice to the dealership with this issue and they can find no fault. I would like to go in the third time armed with some sort of idea as to why my car is suddenly acting like this after the recall. Having done some research I think it may be the EGR but would ideally like a second opinion if possible.

Thanks,

Chris

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This is not right, I'd guess as I don't have a 1.6TDI, have you looked on the Skoda (briskoda.net) website as I think that there are lots of angry people (about this) on that forum, if you do that and look at the Leon section on here, at least you will have a better idea of how wide spread this problem is.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
So an update on this - have since spoken to SEAT UK and they have asked me to bring it back in for free diagnostics.. Which I've already had done twice and they've found no issues. But I've booked it in for next Monday anyway, as well as sending the videos onto the dealership.

SEAT were adamant that the MPG would not be affected by the recall. However would not comment on the potential issue with the EGR valve.

This will be the 3rd time in 4 months the car will have been into the dealership and still no closer to finding a resolution. I loved the car before I started having all these issues - but now I feel like this will be my last unfortunately.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Isn't this a common story for people who've had the recall done?
Crap MPG, EGR issues and constant DPF regen???

Sounds very much like the new ECU map throws in tons more fuel to get NOx emissions down, but in turn the causes loads more crap built up in the DPF and EGR systems - something everyone predicted would happen ages ago.

Personally I'd take the car to someone like Darkside and have a performance ECU map put on instead because I can't see Seat reverting your car to a pre-recall state.

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
I also have the 1.6 TDI

I had the fix done christmas last year and so far *knocks wood*, I have had minimal issues. The passive regen is broken now on mine which indicates the engine is kicking out more soot or the engine is renaming cooler and not heating the DPF up as much. Have a read on combustion but basically having a richer air fuel can result in lower combustion temps and lower NOx produced which I suspect is what has been done. The downside greater soot is also produced, clogging valves and filters. :doh:

Seat (VW) offer a 2 year warranty on EGR failures if it was caused by the "fix", however I suspect they may :starwars:

One more thing, I have noticed using good fuel helps with mine. I tried supermarket fuel pre fix and it was a rough idle then, I dare not try it now. Stick to shell for me.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017

Sounds very much like the new ECU map throws in tons more fuel to get NOx emissions down, but in turn the causes loads more crap built up in the DPF and EGR systems - something everyone predicted would happen ages ago.

Personally I'd take the car to someone like Darkside and have a performance ECU map put on instead because I can't see Seat reverting your car to a pre-recall state.

Funny you should say this.. the car's fuel light was on yesterday when it was shaking, it was telling me roughly 10 miles of fuel left.

I couldn't get near a decent service station so just stopped locally and threw a 10r in to keep me going. Lo and behold, as soon as the fuel hit the tank, the shaking stopped. So I think you may be on to something with regard the ECU throwing in a ton more fuel.

@Propane, when you say the passive regen, do you mean the regen when the car is actually moving, IE it is no longer burning off when it's taken a long run on the motorway?

I try to use good fuel as much as possible - however I live in Northern Ireland and this can be difficult to find. We don't even have a shell garage here.. I mostly try and stick to the Tesco Premium Stuff. I'll be honest I'd no idea when it comes to fuel until I found this forum.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017

Just reading this back also - what difference would a performance ECU map make? Sorry - I'm completely useless when it comes to cars - I've taught myself a little with these issues but still learning :p

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Just reading this back also - what difference would a performance ECU map make? Sorry - I'm completely useless when it comes to cars - I've taught myself a little with these issues but still learning :p

Seat are very unlikely to revert you back to your old map meaning your stuck with this new one.
Clearly the new map is a dogs dinner and you're always going to have issues with it (because it was written specifically to sort out the NOx issue for the government and not to provide the nippy, reliable car you wanted).

Aftermarket map has none of those concerns as the only person they need to please is you, they will tweak the ECU settings to give you the best running/performing car they can, it won't massively over-fuel and ruin the DPF nor will it clog the EGR up with crap.

It counts as a modification so remember to inform your insurance company, but in the long run you'll save a ton of money as the car won't be forever in the garage getting repaired.

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
Seat are very unlikely to revert you back to your old map meaning your stuck with this new one.

Seat are legally not allowed to revert it back. Hence why so many get it remapped to basically removed this update by a 3rd party.

Funny you should say this.. the car's fuel light was on yesterday when it was shaking, it was telling me roughly 10 miles of fuel left.

You should never let a diesel run low on fuel as it starts to pull the sludge through from the bottom of the tank. This might be partially to blame on the rough idle issue here. A good rule of thumb is when you hit 1/4, put more in.

@Propane, when you say the passive regen, do you mean the regen when the car is actually moving, IE it is no longer burning off when it's taken a long run on the motorway?.

Yes, the car will always need to do an active regen ~every 300 miles, it is now the only way to clean the DPF for me.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
Seat are legally not allowed to revert it back. Hence why so many get it remapped to basically removed this update by a 3rd party.

You should never let a diesel run low on fuel as it starts to pull the sludge through from the bottom of the tank. This might be partially to blame on the rough idle issue here. A good rule of thumb is when you hit 1/4, put more in.

Yes, the car will always need to do an active regen ~every 300 miles, it is now the only way to clean the DPF for me.

Ah.

This I feel may solve my issue. Looking back on when this has happened, it has only ever happened when I have been low on fuel. Guess I'll have to be more vigilant with fuel from now on :p

Spoken to my insurance company RE a remap, unfortunately they do not cover cars which have been re-mapped, even though I explained it was for an issue I'm having and not for performance. Bit of a nightmare to be honest.

Thanks for the help guys - I'll keep the fuel level up and see if that alleviates the issue!

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Unless you've been filling up out of farm tanks you shouldn't have much sludge in your fuel tank, not on a relatively new car.

crap in the bottom of a fuel tank is more a myth than anything.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
I've just spoken to my mechanic (who doesn't work in the dealership) and he has said much of the same R3k, that the sludge would only be an issue if the car is constantly being ran on low amounts of fuel.

I do think there is a correlation however between the fuel and the issues I have been having since the recall. If indeed the "fix" is to simply dump more fuel in, then surely when the car is low on fuel the car will start to struggle. I will be putting this to SEAT next week when I leave it back them. Customer Services on the phone were adamant that SEAT where not taking responsibility for a loss in MPG - however I fail to see how if the car is constantly dumping more fuel in during the DPF cycle?

Does anyone actually know exactly what SEAT have changed with the recall in terms of the ECU?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
A contentious issue maybe, but this running low on fuel seems to pop up frequently and what I'd say is the correct answer is:-

(1) the fuel is always drawn from the bottom of the fuel tank, there is no "just submerged" wobble pipe in there on modern car's fuel tanks, though there is a weighted wobble pipe on small bits of kit that can be operated inverted, like gardening power tools etc.
(2) UK service stations are highly maintained so they will have water traps and there is not much chance of other muck getting into the car's fuel tank unless the owner etc has decanted fuel from another source into a dirty fuel can. In other countries this might not be true though.
(3) most modern car's fuel systems return pumped fuel back into the tank and that would stir up any small bits of muck if it was in there, so normally very little existing muck - if it was there - would end up lying on the base of the tank.

After saying all that, running that low on fuel is not a very smart idea, if you ended up needing to drive up/down an extremely steep hill, the fuel system might just slow down its delivery of fuel a bit, more importantly, running that low and finding your target fuel station closed for any reason would cause you serious problems.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
I never normally let the tank run that low - the light comes on normally at 30 - 40 miles remaining and I head straight to Tesco to refill - the benefits of working 5mins from a Superstore I guess :D

On this occasion the light had come on Sunday night and I was going to work the following day - so I let it run down a bit.

I am struggling to believe however that the issues I'm having are purely because the engine is struggling for fuel.. Once I get to 15 posts I'll post the links for you all to see.

Is it obvious I'm posting on here to try and get to that magic number? :rofl:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Is it obvious I'm posting on here to try and get to that magic number? :rofl:

Well reply to this one as well, by the way, I'm not going to claim that I know supermarket fuels are all crap, but maybe consider looking for lots of loose change under your seat and treat that car to a full tank of Shell's Bestist and so £est smelly stuff - and see it that helps at all, as an experiment?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Does anyone actually know exactly what SEAT have changed with the recall in terms of the ECU?

Ring up a remap company and ask them directly.

They will have had a couple of vehicles in with the 'fix' and probably took a look at the map before sorting it out.
They will be able to tell you what VW did.

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
Well reply to this one as well, by the way, I'm not going to claim that I know supermarket fuels are all crap, but maybe consider looking for lots of loose change under your seat and treat that car to a full tank of Shell's Bestist and so £est smelly stuff - and see it that helps at all, as an experiment?

The issue is that I live in Belfast and to my knowledge there is no Shell here. I normally fill up with the Premium stuff from Tesco.

What about the likes of BP Ultimate? I know I can get that handy enough?

Faintlol

Sep 20, 2017
Ring up a remap company and ask them directly.

They will have had a couple of vehicles in with the 'fix' and probably took a look at the map before sorting it out.
They will be able to tell you what VW did.

Just find it very strange after a 2 years+ that there is no info on this online in terms of what exactly VW have done.

If I'm being honest I also don't see how SEAT can diagnose this - it only happens when the car goes into regen mode. So unless by some stroke of luck it happens to do this again next Thursday when the car goes in, I've a real bad feeling that they're just going to do as the last two times and say "Sorry we can't find any issue with the car."

15 posts. Videos to follow.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.