Cold Air Intake using standard air box??

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
Stage 2+ fitted!! Huge difference in mid-range pull, still revs out to 7500 with no noticeable loss in pull, guess the modified intake works! 320 bhp max @ 6450rpm / 275 ft/lb max @ 5150rpm Intake temps still a bit high though at 50 degrees, need intercooler+ (proper) cold air intake to fix that, calling it a day now, downpipe + intercooler + CAI = £2000+ for 20 or so bhp, not really worth it in my book!! Settings were B6 T4 F6 btw

Interesting.

Torque seems a little low.

With an intake alone you should see 20bhp on 2+. With all components and right settings it should be over 360bhp.

With intake tempsat 50 degrees ts unlikely the car was making the requested boost high up in the rev range.

Can you post a pic of the graph?

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Sorry no printer! Wrote the figs down for reference... Could maybe up boost a little, it was holding 1,5 bar ok. Timing he said was about right, it was pulling about 2 degrees. Nice guy Rob at TSR, got plenty of time, said take it back anytime to tweak it, fitted cat-back free for me, no vat on Revo and no charge for setup/RR time either. I'm pleased its not holding back at high rpm, or maybe it is, max rpm on dyno went to about 7300 and it tailed off to there after max bhp at 6450, don't notice that on the road though...............

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
The other thing is the torque is peaking rather late in the rev range, usually peaks around 3500 rpm?

Ye on the road you'll prob get away wi some more boost on there. Gonna stick mine on the rollers when i get chance

How you finding the exhaust?

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Exhaust surprisingly quiet at low rpm, but on boost clearly leaves a howl behind me!! Good trick, wonder how that works? May go back in a week or 2 and see about another click or 2 on the settings, I see Warren Cox's S3 with a similar spec to mine is running higher settings, I'm sure Rob at TSR won't mind fiddling.................. Luke, you think the torque is peaking late? Would a higher boost setting help as the boost appears to kick in at about 3500 rpm, if it's peaking at 4000 won't that be a narrow surge of power, not a "Wave of torque" , more a splash?

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
Exhaust surprisingly quiet at low rpm, but on boost clearly leaves a howl behind me!! Good trick, wonder how that works? May go back in a week or 2 and see about another click or 2 on the settings, I see Warren Cox's S3 with a similar spec to mine is running higher settings, I'm sure Rob at TSR won't mind fiddling.................. Luke, you think the torque is peaking late? Would a higher boost setting help as the boost appears to kick in at about 3500 rpm, if it's peaking at 4000 won't that be a narrow surge of power, not a "Wave of torque" , more a splash?

The revo software does produce a spike when the turbo comes on boost. The spike usually around 3500rpm. It then holds torque until around 5000rpm before diving (on mine anyway). I guess its all dependant on the settings/conditions etc. Looking at my graph from stage 1 higher boost produced a more consistent torque curve.

Would be useful to try and get the power graph printed off and post it on here. Would be good to compare against my stage 1 graph.

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Just looked at the Awesome r/r day results, seems that the graphs are totally different to mine! See what you mean about the torque, most cars with similar spec seem to be around 350 ft/lb at 3500, then flat for a bit then dropping off, my torque curve looks similar to my power one! I'll scan my last printout (stage 1 with all mods listed B8 T4 F9) intake temps 50 degrees and try and put it up............

Last edited:

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Stage 1 graph for perusal!
scan0005.jpg

Is there an easy way to insert the pic so you don't have to go to picasaweb btw?
This run was done in 4th gear cos we were having trouble with wheel spin in top, graph shape was the same tho'

Last edited:

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
Stage 1 graph for perusal!
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/snaponken/Stage1Graph#5360133045027592578
Is there an easy way to insert the pic so you don't have to go to picasaweb btw?
This run was done in 4th gear cos we were having trouble with wheel spin in top, graph shape was the same tho'

Yes its hard to see whats going on with that curve!

Most tend to get them done on Dyno Dynamics rollers.

Use something like photobucket. If you copy and paste the photo address it posts like this below:

This is just a boost curve from Vagcom, requsted in blue, actual in red. You can see the boost spike early on which causes the hike in torque. Then as temps rise and there is insufficient air flow the boost drops off towards the end....something a nice intake should take care of..

Boostgraph.jpg

Last edited:

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
Torque is the highest on the left, power is the highest on the right. Done on Maha R/R

Ye thats how it should be and they should cross each other at about 5252 rpm. BHP is worked out from the torque. The RR measures the torque then calculates the BHP from that.

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Just found this on Millteks site for a mk5 gti with revo, same model of dyno but torque looks just like you said it should, nothing like mine. What's up?
244.jpg

Last edited:

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
I can see what you mean now Ken.

Its as if your turbo isn't coming on boost quick enough or something. Though it does appear to be holding its torque for longer and higher up in the rev range which is good.

Might be worth starting a new thread with your power curve pic on there. Maybe Revo Kev would give the low down or someone else might know whats going on.

I take it this was done with your modified air intake?.....but if you logged boost in Vagcom that should have shown up any issues.

Last edited:

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
I'll stick it on the revo forum and see what transpires................... Quite like the torque where it is, not too mental wheelspin but very very strong from 3500/4000 rpm to rev limiter, doesn't seem to drop off at all. Getting good at attachments eh!