Tyres....what to avoid?

gmw

Nov 25, 2003
Lanarkshire
Hi Jamie,

How did you get on with the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres? As good as you hoped? What about wear?

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Hi Jamie,

How did you get on with the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres? As good as you hoped? What about wear?

Hi Gerry,

So far so good :)

I still have the Dunlops on the back as they haven't worn as quick as the front ones did.

I'll say this, when it comes to changing the lot next time...I'm going for all 4 Goodyear Efficient Grip Performances.

This thing in the wet (most of the time in this country eh?) sticks like the proverbial to a blanket, ive never had better tyres in the wet.

In the dry, I do 'think' they give a smoother ride and they do have softer sidewalls but that doesn't affect handling or dry grip.

Very confident, quiet, mpg did actually go up by a couple....can't wait until I can put all 4 on :)

Those Dunlops pulled you all over the road, these don't :)

Wear, done a couple of thousand miles and so far no noticeable wear, I think these are shaping up to be the perfect tyre for the car in my opinion :)

Last edited:

ryan_cbell77

Feb 17, 2014
glenrothes, fife
Got dunlops on all 4 just now, fronts are about 3-4 mm must say they look good, very stable at high speeds in the wet , only downside is the life, had them 8k now, probly my driving and roads I drive. How long do u reckon Youl get out those Goodyear? Wats the price compared to maxxi's ? Going to get swap them around then get 4 new for winter months, u reckon they r as good in the wet?

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Got dunlops on all 4 just now, fronts are about 3-4 mm must say they look good, very stable at high speeds in the wet , only downside is the life, had them 8k now, probly my driving and roads I drive. How long do u reckon Youl get out those Goodyear? Wats the price compared to maxxi's ? Going to get swap them around then get 4 new for winter months, u reckon they r as good in the wet?

The Dunlops on mine would spin in the wet a little and under steer on tight bends in the wet, these new GoodYears don't.

I don't know how many miles I'll get out of them, the front end on these Exeos are very heavy and driven enthusiastically will drastically increase the wear rate.

Cornishgreg

Feb 13, 2014
I've got to 22Ks worth of life on the Maxxis on the front axle and am now down to the wear indicator. Time for a change.

My MD has a 330d on Uniroyals and is getting good life and grip. so might try these. Looking at the Goodyears the price is quite high, the Maxxis I've got were £80 a corner.

Jamie, where do think is the best place in Mid/West Cornwall for tyres?

ryan_cbell77

Feb 17, 2014
glenrothes, fife
The Dunlops on mine would spin in the wet a little and under steer on tight bends in the wet, these new GoodYears don't.

I don't know how many miles I'll get out of them, the front end on these Exeos are very heavy and driven enthusiastically will drastically increase the wear rate.

Do u reckon performance will be same in my fr? Maxxxi rt's I looked at were 110 each. Rears have worn almost same as fronts, 1.5mm at most more, is this average for big cars, my ds3 rears Wer 5mm wen fronts were nackered lol

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
My list of tyres I don't want is ever growing:

PZero Rossos - "meh" grip, decent, never great and wear quicker than a tungsten wire in a mudslide.
Kumho Ecsta Ku39 - no
RE050 - I've left rubber everywhere.

The yes list so far:
Goodyear eagle f1 assym2
Yokohama advan AD08. Very hard sidewalls. Wouldn't put them on 19s
Nexen N6000 (cheap but very cheerful!)
Pilot sports (too pricey at the best of times)
Falken 453 - great for rear wheels. Meh for fronts.
Toyo T1-R - bit hit/miss in the wet. Nice and comfy though. Average wear

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
I didn't find T1-R's that hot in the rain, I found them good in the dry but the shoulder wear was stupid due to the softness of the rubber used and when they got to 3mm they became flat out dangerous in the rain (tramlined like mad)

I killed a set in about 6 months although admittedly that wasn't taking it easy

The worst tyres I've ever had the displeasure of owning were Triangle Talon's. They have since discontinued them as they're that bad (36 quid from Camskill in 215-35-18 I found out after looking into them)

I'm about to try some Hankook Ventus S1 Evo (K107's) that my brother brought home to replace the Dextero's that are currently fitted.

Budget tyres FTL :(

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
I've got to 22Ks worth of life on the Maxxis on the front axle and am now down to the wear indicator. Time for a change.

My MD has a 330d on Uniroyals and is getting good life and grip. so might try these. Looking at the Goodyears the price is quite high, the Maxxis I've got were £80 a corner.

Jamie, where do think is the best place in Mid/West Cornwall for tyres?

I'm not sure, I got these GoodYears off Black Circles and paid them everything and they got delivered to Steve Andrews Tyres in Truro and they fit them included in the cost, or you just buy the tyres, get them delivered to you and take them wherever you want them fitted, at a cost ofcourse.

Do u reckon performance will be same in my fr? Maxxxi rt's I looked at were 110 each. Rears have worn almost same as fronts, 1.5mm at most more, is this average for big cars, my ds3 rears Wer 5mm wen fronts were nackered lol

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

I don't know Ryan, just from my experience on my car these Goodyears are currently doing well...my back tyres haven't worn half as quick as the fronts on the Exeo.

For pure thrashing about, driving fast and hard cornering, I don't know what you'd make of the slightly softer side wall of the Efficient Grips.

Dunlop is the sportier side of the Goodyear Dunlop Group offering more grip..:confused:

It's bizarre to me too but I definitely had wheelspin with the Dunlops and not as confident in the wet as these Efficient Grips. Bizarre yes but that's just from my own findings....might it be down to the Dunlops on mine wearing out quick and not providing the same performance with less tread? probably.

pel

Jun 23, 2013
I also went for the goodyears, purely on the ratings that they got, other than the slightly boring look that they have got ( unattractive sidewalls ftl) I cannot fault them

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I also went for the goodyears, purely on the ratings that they got, other than the slightly boring look that they have got ( unattractive sidewalls ftl) I cannot fault them

Can't beat Yokohama AD08s for looks.
Toyo T1-R have cool tread too. Or Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (which I've still not tried!)

whammy

Sep 26, 2013
I currently have Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on my exeo all round. No regrets, performmed in all conditions. Currently have on average 5-6mm tred left after 7k miles.

Vredestein have released a new tire that is supposed to be the dogs danglies.
Vredestein Ultrac Vorti (google as i cant post links)

njm

Apr 29, 2014
Scotland
tyres

I have gone back with dunlop wet grip and wear are good yes they can tram line but i find if your pushing very hard they work very well , goodyears did not last long in pot hole infested roads around my area the dunlops take the punishment better in my case

Andygti39

Exeo st 170 sport tech
Nov 16, 2013
Preston lancs
I've just had a pair of dunlop sport maxx fitted, a mate works for national tyres and he said that they had better grip in both wet and dry and they are also quieter than the original bridgestone potenza's that were fitted.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise