Tyres....what to avoid?

Cornishgreg

Feb 13, 2014
Just replaced the fronts on mine.

21K out of a set of Maxxis MA-Z1, good grip in wet and dry, not bad road noise, only downside was MPG dropped by 1-2.

Stuck with Maxxis and am now trying out the updated MA-Z3, noise seems to be even better and looks like the MPG might be better too.

Not bad for a £80 tyre.

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
Hi all,

Just the thread I was looking for. Currently have Falken 914s on the car (previous owner fitted them) and looking forward to changing them (Exeo ST TSI 18inch tyres)!

Actually one of the major problems with these is that they offer such a low amount of sidewall protection and so the alloys tend to get there fair share of scrapes as slightly high kerbs near where I am (and apart from a few they are mainly caused by someone else driving the car).

I like the sound of the Goodyear Efficient Grip, or maybe the Dunlops on ratings, but I think my choice may have to be determined by the best sidewall protection.

Any experiences on which tyres have the best sidewall protection?

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
Hi

Ive just fitted 2 Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 to the front from Pirelli p zero Nero's. and the difference is brilliant.
Grip levels have increased, the car no longer tram lines and the sidewall alloy protection is great. I have efficient grips on the rear and cant fault them either.
The reviews on the f1s were better so went for them.
paid 96 a corner fitted from f1 auto centre after some haggling.
size are 225 40 18

Cookies

May 18, 2014
County Down
I absolutely love the Eagle F1 asymmetric. They're fantastic. I have Bridgestone potenza on at the minute and they're excellent too, but I have read that they won't last long. Watch this space...

Cooks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Cookies

May 18, 2014
County Down
Btw had Goodyear efficientgrip on my old exeo and whole they were good, they were nowhere near the F1s.

Cooks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PeeJay

Jan 22, 2014
Just switched the Kumho Ecsta HM's on the front for some Escsta 'Le Sport' KU39 - feel a lot better in the bends, but the last ones were almost on the wear indicators so that to be expected - they rate better in wet grip and much higher in fuel efficiency so well worth the few quid over the HM's (which were crap IMO).

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Well...time has come, can you believe it....need 2 new fronts again!!!!

Bit annoyed as it's the outer edges on both front tyres that have gone, no tread left at all.

I had the tyres pumped to recommended PSI and checked regularly as I'd usually attribute this to under inflated tyres right?

The middle of the Tyres have plenty of tread left :( Should I just inflate them a few more PSI and see if the wear slows down or would the rozzers not be too happy if we got stopped with the wear on the tyres?

Maybe the softer tyre wall allows for more wear on the edges?

So that's basically 8 months...

Last edited:

Deleted member 89926

Well...time has come, can you believe it....need 2 new fronts again!!!!

Bit annoyed as it's the outer edges on both front tyres that have gone, no tread left at all.

I had the tyres pumped to recommended PSI and checked regularly as I'd usually attribute this to under inflated tyres right?

The middle of the Tyres have plenty of tread left :( Should I just inflate them a few more PSI and see if the wear slows down or would the rozzers not be too happy if we got stopped with the wear on the tyres?

Maybe the softer tyre wall allows for more wear on the edges?

So that's basically 8 months...

8 Months Asonda but how many miles? I've just last week put two Efficient grips on the front. I had Bridgestones previously, but never again!

Tonyuk74

Sep 1, 2014
Barnsley
Get your tracking check. Ware on outer or inner is usually down to alignment. If both inner and outer worn together then tyre pressures are too low ware in center pressure too high. Or could just be your driving style so slow down in the bends lol

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Get your tracking check. Ware on outer or inner is usually down to alignment. If both inner and outer worn together then tyre pressures are too low ware in center pressure too high. Or could just be your driving style so slow down in the bends lol

Both inner and outer on both sides!

Like I said before, I think these tyres have a softer side wall so I think they need to be above the PSI stated on the petrol flap, that and the twisty roads the car gets driven on every single day doesn't help!

Tonyuk74

Sep 1, 2014
Barnsley
My jetta I used to put 38psi all round because that used to take both edges off if any lower. Bit harsh on the ride but did the trick. How often do u check the pressure and do they lose much in between checks ? Slow punctures or air loss from rim will soon rip the tread off. Hope iv helped

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
My jetta I used to put 38psi all round because that used to take both edges off if any lower. Bit harsh on the ride but did the trick. How often do u check the pressure and do they lose much in between checks ? Slow punctures or air loss from rim will soon rip the tread off. Hope iv helped

Yeah I check them every few weeks and they seem to stay the same pressure, had a puncture in the rear tyre which the TPMS flagged up as soon as it happened.

Might pump the fronts up a bit more then to wear out the middle a bit more as there is still faint lines on the edges but nothing that'd register on a depth gauge.

As it's only two strips either side, the rest of the tyre is above 1.6mm, should be good for a while then if I can eek some more miles out of then?

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
That's what I'm going to do then and keep a close eye :)

Need to get new discs and pads all round so it's all come at once :'(

PeeJay

Jan 22, 2014
My Khumo's are now about 50% worn I'd guess 'by eye' I bought them in early August! I've done over 4k miles in that time though, 8k miles on tyres is pretty good for me.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
My Khumo's are now about 50% worn I'd guess 'by eye' I bought them in early August! I've done over 4k miles in that time though, 8k miles on tyres is pretty good for me.

Is you Schumacher innit bruv? haha

I'd be distraught at getting just 8k miles out of a set of tyres for a car that just commutes.

If I wore out tyres having fun in a Hot Hatch or Sports Car...I wouldn't be bothered, comes with the territory.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.