knock with steering

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
my fr is 2005, 7k miles and has developed a knok if I wiggle the steering whilst stationary at the lights or parking

what do people think, drop links or what?

I'll let the stealers know about it in the new year

cheb

Ibiza FR TDi
Sep 27, 2006
Rotherham
i have a knock from steering but its only when moving and turning at the same time, i used to have a similar problem with fiesta (mk6) an ford could never find the problem on it, now i have the knock on this ive just left it as everything has worked fine.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
check that the strut top mounts are tight could be the steering rack if it happens when stationary as under most load when still!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
ok will check the strut top mount bolts, thats the ones that would hold the strut brace on if I had one yeah?

BTW it only clonks quietly then wheel wiggled to the right and silent to the left

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
it would be more noisey in **** pit if it was the stering colum?? yer bolts that would hold strut brace on 3 13mm. jack the front of the car up and see if you can still hear noises! if you can still hear knocking then its something knocking like droplinks ect or steering rack or maybe steering collum bearing like craig said

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
ok thanks chaps

I will check any easy stuff but if it needs anything more involved then the warrenty will be kicking in to action

think I might look at the road wheel bolts in the morning :rolleyes:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
waranty is a lovely thing just had two new headlamps because of the flaming condensation looks so much better with out that in both headlamps!"!!! and had turbo gasket done to! all free thank god for warranty but shouldnt go wrong in the first place :rolleyes:

gazjones

mine sometime makes a bang sound when on ful lock stoped then pulling of not sure what it was but dosent do it much

gazjones

dont know what it is could be drivshaft or maybe droplinks on the arb hitting something

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
:think: the way you describe when it happens it sounds like it could be a driveshaft check your tracrod end rubber boot and nut could be split and knocking :shrug:

gazjones

only does it once a blue moon but ill have a look around it soon as im loking at getting suspention in jan maybe feb!

gazjones

nope koni sport kit get it through work front lowers fine with just 35mm drop and as long as back sits bit lower it will do me

gazjones

back i could do as its simple but front would need tracking and everything doing but can get it done at work for about 30 or 40 quid will see near the time did you do yours yourself then.
as for the creak i think it could be the spring as its just as you pull of so as the car jolts forward slightly

scottynic

My 2004 FR has done it since about 6000miles, its been in the dealers to get fixed 3 times and its never been fixed properly and just keeps returning.

The first time they said they had changed some sort of bush.
Apparently it was a common fault.

Its been in 2 more times and apparently there is nothing wrong with it!

I think they think I am imagining it!

[:@]

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.