1.4 tdi tuning past phase 1 remap/ tuning box

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi,
I wondered if anyone had experience of modifying the 3 cylinder 1.4 tdi pd75 engine past remap or tuning box?
I am talking about larger pd150 injectors and turbo, adapting the exhaust manifold, front mounted intercooler as well as wheel, brake, exhaust/ egr and suspension improvements.
Looking for at least 150bhp and 260 lb ft torque!

Best wishes

Ian

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
1.4tdi turbo is a GT15 by garrett, non vnt, so you just can't put a vnt turbo in there cos the ecu won't be able to manage it. So you could fit a bigger normal turbo [likely to cause big lag on such a small engine] or you could change the ecu but that would be crazy cos you'd need to do recode everything,,, I'm pretty sure tou can't use your stock ecu to manage a vnt turbo, but then maybe some ecu nerd has found the way you never know.

really depends what car is that imo, revo do a 109hp remap and if we're talking the likes of a lupo/arosa or a 99/2002 polo [smaller than the last two series] I'd say that's quite good,,,

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire
turbo type

1.4tdi turbo is a GT15 by garrett, non vnt, so you just can't put a vnt turbo in there cos the ecu won't be able to manage it. So you could fit a bigger normal turbo [likely to cause big lag on such a small engine] or you could change the ecu but that would be crazy cos you'd need to do recode everything,,, I'm pretty sure tou can't use your stock ecu to manage a vnt turbo, but then maybe some ecu nerd has found the way you never know.

really depends what car is that imo, revo do a 109hp remap and if we're talking the likes of a lupo/arosa or a 99/2002 polo [smaller than the last two series] I'd say that's quite good,,,

Hi, There has been quite a lot of discussion on the arosa/ lupo forum as to what type of turbo the 1.4 tdi uses.
The majority of users report vnt 15 which i think is used in the 1.9 tdi pd100 engines?

Ian

Rub87

Nov 6, 2007
Is easy to let the ecu manage a vnt turbo.. Is should be remapped anyway so fixing the N75 maps wouldn't that hard while you're in there..

Easiest would be a GT1749VA of a longitudal mounted 130hp PD engine and make a 3-1 manifold for it..

Rub87

Nov 6, 2007
It's a GT1X non vnt.. only modyear 2008 and maybe the last of 2007 have a little vnt on it..

Seat calls it the ecomotive version, they have a vnt and particle filter to bring the C02 polution below 100g/km.. I gues its called bleumotion or something like that at VW..?

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi, so my previous car - lupo tdi 2002 - didn't have vnt?
The GT1749VA is not vnt?
This turbo is limited to constant 1.6 bar which would limt the power to around 145 bhp.
In terms of the manifold do you think it would be possible to remove 1 branch or to fit an adapter?

Thanks

ian

Rub87

Nov 6, 2007
Could work.. Havent looked at the 1.4 head closely..

GT1749VA is a vnt turbo of a 130hp PD.. Is will do 150 bhp easy on the 1.4 tdi of fueling can keep up..

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Is easy to let the ecu manage a vnt turbo.. Is should be remapped anyway so fixing the N75 maps wouldn't that hard while you're in there..

Easiest would be a GT1749VA of a longitudal mounted 130hp PD engine and make a 3-1 manifold for it..

Problem is I don't think the 1.4tdi has the same valve that's used on the vnt's as a N75,,, I mean, one is substantially an electronic controller for the wastegate [which operates in two modes: open/closed], the other is and electronic controller for the vnt mechanism which moves the vnt blades from low rpm position to high rpm position [and I mean turbo rpm] with everything in between,,,

I've never heard of such a conversion and I don't know if it's that easy as you say,,,

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi, Thanks for the post mikey - would you know if it has an n75 valve?
The head is 2 valve per cylinder.
Why is it if you read the tdiclub posts they hate vnt turbos on diesels in the usa?

Thanks

Ian

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire
Problem is I don't think the 1.4tdi has the same valve that's used on the vnt's as a N75,,, I mean, one is substantially an electronic controller for the wastegate [which operates in two modes: open/closed], the other is and electronic controller for the vnt mechanism which moves the vnt blades from low rpm position to high rpm position [and I mean turbo rpm] with everything in between,,,

I've never heard of such a conversion and I don't know if it's that easy as you say,,,

Hi, If you click here it will take you to kerma who sell N75 valve turbo pressure converter

shadowmaker

2.5TDI 228kW 587Nm@1,3bar
Feb 28, 2007

Nope, Rub is correct. It's possible to use original ECU for VNT control. I have that in my old -98 ECU (my van is -96, but -98 ECU is a straight swap). It doesn't have VNT control capabilities though as original, but that was made by my programmer.

So there you go.:p

Last edited:

shadowmaker

2.5TDI 228kW 587Nm@1,3bar
Feb 28, 2007
Hi, If you click here it will take you to kerma who sell N75 valve turbo pressure converter

You have N75 (it's just a three way solenoid) in your car already. It doesn't matter if it's VNT or non-VNT. It's just that your original program is designated to control a non-VNT turbo, so the program needs to be altered for a VNT.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
@watkins4378 Don`t you just love car forums with all the conflicting information you get on them. I exspect you are more confused now then before you started this thread ( plus the one on Briskoda ) since i sure am. I should think that you are looking at spending more then 2-3K on mods to get to 150bhp when you count in a new clutch plus the brakes and suspension will still need upgrading the list is endless.

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire
Devonmikey, i wanted to cast a wide net for information so that I could be informed - nothing more.
At the end I trust Allard's to tune reliably and within the limitations of the car!
Money wise, i think a budget of 6k, includes 2.5 - 3k for the car and the same for mods could squeeze in some extras such as wheels, brakes, suspension, lsd etc.
The engine tuning should be relatively less costly - pd130 injectors, adapting turbo internals, fmic, remap - as opposed to race injectors, vt5 turbo etc.
The arosa idea is based around the colin chapman/ lotus concept - less is more!
Should be a hoot - like a go cart

Apologies for any duplication but I find these forum a good source of info - such as contributors such as yourself, and am particularly interested on your parallel turbo project.

Ian

@watkins4378 Don`t you just love car forums with all the conflicting information you get on them. I exspect you are more confused now then before you started this thread ( plus the one on Briskoda ) since i sure am. I should think that you are looking at spending more then 2-3K on mods to get to 150bhp when you count in a new clutch plus the brakes and suspension will still need upgrading the list is endless.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
I wasn`t having a go at you mate for posting the same question on Briskoda. The more people you get involed in an idea the better usually just that on forums you will get lots of conflicting information.
As to the cost of stuff just for a very ruff idea:
LSD fitted £1000
clutch pressure plate and disc £500
Secondhand PD150 turbo £300
Secondhand Injectors £200
FMIC and pipework £600
Custom remap £500
So thats £2100 before labour,brakes,suspension,gaskets filters oil etc when the head comes off etc. Don`t get me wrong i am not saying don`t do it as modifing is all about having some thing different which is why i tune the cars i do. Personally i would exspect to pay about £3500 minimum just for engine/clutch/gearbox mods with labour.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
Nope, Rub is correct. It's possible to use original ECU for VNT control. I have that in my old -98 ECU (my van is -96, but -98 ECU is a straight swap). It doesn't have VNT control capabilities though as original, but that was made by my programmer.

So there you go.:p

Good to know, you're a fountain of knowledge mate!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.