Resetting ECU?

crazy-steff

found this thread on a search, was wondering if i have to switch the ignition off before turning the car back on and driving after doing the process and do i have to leave the car running for a while with out touching the throttle before setting off!?!

Reset the ECU (adaption)

The car must have a cold engine i.e have been standing for a while (say first thing in the moring or late at night after it's cooled)

Take of the positive battery connection (single 10mm bolt is loosened and clip raised - jam an insulator in there to keep it away form the terminal) leave for 5 mins or so or cup of tea time .

Replace connection.

Next bit is important (you may want to practice this once before anything is disconnected). Put they key in and switch it to the ignition setting which does not turn the car over, but activates the auxillary electronics - fan etc. Leave it like this for 3-4 mins. This is a throttle adaption process.

OK. go drive. You should notice a difference.

CupraMVR

Awesome GTi Technician
Oct 19, 2006
Crewe Cheshire
Hey there when you refit the battery cable on the vehicle, then go back to the ignition and turn it one click over that will show all the lights on the dash. Wait with the bonnet open and u will hear a few bits moving and clicking then after a little while u will hear a BEEP from under the bonnet and your ready to start up the vehicle

hope this helps

crazy-steff

Hey there when you refit the battery cable on the vehicle, then go back to the ignition and turn it one click over that will show all the lights on the dash. Wait with the bonnet open and u will hear a few bits moving and clicking then after a little while u will hear a BEEP from under the bonnet and your ready to start up the vehicle

hope this helps

after it beeps do you turn the ignition off and then turn it back on and wait a little before you drive off, or just simply turn it on from the ignition point you set it at and drive!?!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
found this thread on a search, was wondering if i have to switch the ignition off before turning the car back on and driving after doing the process and do i have to leave the car running for a while with out touching the throttle before setting off!?!

Reset the ECU (adaption)

The car must have a cold engine i.e have been standing for a while (say first thing in the moring or late at night after it's cooled)

Take of the positive battery connection (single 10mm bolt is loosened and clip raised - jam an insulator in there to keep it away form the terminal) leave for 5 mins or so or cup of tea time .

Replace connection.

Next bit is important (you may want to practice this once before anything is disconnected). Put they key in and switch it to the ignition setting which does not turn the car over, but activates the auxillary electronics - fan etc. Leave it like this for 3-4 mins. This is a throttle adaption process.

OK. go drive. You should notice a difference.
There are a few untruths in that thread
First it's the negative terminal you want to remove
There is no beep afer the ECU has been reset
Best to leave the -ve terminal off for 30 mins not 5
When starting the car after ECU has been reset just turn the key one click, leave for 2 mins and you can either start of now doesn't really matter

Where did you get this info from?
EDIT

This does not do a throttle body reset either, this can only be done with VAG com

So that post was total shite

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
When starting the car after ECU has been reset just turn the key one click, leave for 2 mins and you can either start of now doesn't really matter

EDIT

This does not do a throttle body reset either, this can only be done with VAG com

^^^^^ What he said :yes:

andycupra

status subject to change
some points:

make sure you have the radio code before doing this, you will most likely need it.
remove negative terminal, not positive. (10mm) spanner required. dont let it touch body of car.
leave for few mins.
reconnect negative terminal.
turn on ignition, (dont start car) - leave for 5 mins. (im not sure leaving it for 5 mins does anything, but what the hell do it anyway.

start car.

It will not have reset the ecu, but may have reset some parameters or adaptation and some minor intermitent fault codes may clear depending on the reason for the fault.

It wont do a throttle body alignment.

crazy-steff

EDIT

im sure i found this info from a search on this site, i thought that i could also do a TB alignment with this!!!
cheers for the info though.....

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Can someone confirm the proper procedure for doing TBA with VAG-COM?

I have a toledo V5 which it doesn't mention in Ross-Tech website, but I think it might be the same as the Leon? Don't want to mess it up though :(

It states:-

Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on DBW Cars using KWP-1281:
(Check to see if the engine speaks KWP-1281 by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen Some examples of KWP-1281 engine controllers are 2000+ Golf/GTI/Jetta/New Beetle/Audit TT 1.8T)

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 060
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
[Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.