CHIPEX



Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEAT Model Specific Discussion Forum includes Members Projects » Leon » Leon Mk1

Leon Mk1 Use this forum for Leon specific topics, for 2000-2005 models only

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 22:52   #1
marcuswomersley
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 255
marcuswomersley has 10 points
1.6 egr!

My engine sometimes lags, and stutters when i hit the throttle from low revs, i have the feelin this could be the egr valve sticking, would i be right in thinking this?
__________________
MK1 LEON Cupra 20vt Face Lift--18" BBS CH.
marcuswomersley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:06   #2
Muttley
Catch that diesel!
 
Muttley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Kent
Posts: 4,414
Muttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many points
Disconnect the vacuum line (and plug it to stop the leak) and see if the problem goes away.
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 16:19   #3
marcuswomersley
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 255
marcuswomersley has 10 points
which bit is the vacuum line? Thanks
__________________
MK1 LEON Cupra 20vt Face Lift--18" BBS CH.
marcuswomersley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 20:31   #4
PID
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: corbridge northumberland
Posts: 126
PID has 10 points
mine also has this problem in low revs seemed like it hesatated a little bit i changed the injectors on mine and it seemed to sort the problem dont no if this will be any help to u .
PID
PID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 12:11   #5
marcuswomersley
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 255
marcuswomersley has 10 points
what injectors did you change them for?
__________________
MK1 LEON Cupra 20vt Face Lift--18" BBS CH.
marcuswomersley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 15:34   #6
PID
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: corbridge northumberland
Posts: 126
PID has 10 points
just new pair of standard ones crnt remember what they were called like but it did fix it on my 1.6
PID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 15:43   #7
marcuswomersley
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 255
marcuswomersley has 10 points
alrite cheers
__________________
MK1 LEON Cupra 20vt Face Lift--18" BBS CH.
marcuswomersley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 13:40   #8
leon cupra r
Back in an LCR!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Barnsley
Posts: 963
leon cupra r has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuswomersley View Post
My engine sometimes lags, and stutters when i hit the throttle from low revs, i have the feelin this could be the egr valve sticking, would i be right in thinking this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Disconnect the vacuum line (and plug it to stop the leak) and see if the problem goes away.
I know this is from a few days back now and that injectors were going to be looked at instead, but for anyone reading in the future - EGR valves are only present on diesels arent they? and Muttley as he only has a NA 1.6 there will be no vac line?
__________________
AMK R Tech Stage 1 - 250bhp 280lb/ft, Forge 007p, Autobahn TIP, EVAP + Rocker Vent to Atmos, Prosport Coilovers, Neuspeed 25mm rear ARB, JOM Front Strut Brace, Powerflex Dogbone + Topmount Bushes, Heko Deflectors, SEAT Projector Puddle Lights, Boot Tray
leon cupra r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 16:37   #9
Muttley
Catch that diesel!
 
Muttley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Kent
Posts: 4,414
Muttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many points
leon cupra r wrote

I know this is from a few days back now and that injectors were going to be looked at instead, but for anyone reading in the future - EGR valves are only present on diesels arent they? and Muttley as he only has a NA 1.6 there will be no vac line?

Many petrol engines, including some of the 1.6 engines found in the Leon, have EGR. BCB, AZD, AUS and AKL engines have EGR, AEH doesn't.

Vacuum is used as source of power for actuation and control on very nearly every car in existence. All Leon's use vacuum assisted brakes, for example. In a petrol car the source of vacuum is the intake manifold, downstream of the throttle valve.

As for the original question, I was hoping someone with a 1.6 would step in. As far as I can tell, the EGR valves on the 1.6 engine are located on the exhaust manifold. Look for a small unit attached to the side of the exhaust manifold. It will have two pipes attached, one going to the inlet manifold and a narrower one going to a solenoid valve - this is the vacuum line, controlling the valve. To test if the EGR valve is causing your problem, detach the vacuum line and tape it up out of the way, plugging both open ends with cotton wool, tape or any other suitable plug, to maintain vacuum and to stop dirt getting in. You may well get the Engine Management Light illuminating on the dash when you do this.
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 22:00   #10
marcuswomersley
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 255
marcuswomersley has 10 points
Hi Muttley, Ive looked at my EGR and the small air line goes to know where, it just danggle down next to the gear box.. Is that not right? Thanks
__________________
MK1 LEON Cupra 20vt Face Lift--18" BBS CH.
marcuswomersley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 08:16   #11
leon cupra r
Back in an LCR!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Barnsley
Posts: 963
leon cupra r has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
leon cupra r wrote

I know this is from a few days back now and that injectors were going to be looked at instead, but for anyone reading in the future - EGR valves are only present on diesels arent they? and Muttley as he only has a NA 1.6 there will be no vac line?

Many petrol engines, including some of the 1.6 engines found in the Leon, have EGR. BCB, AZD, AUS and AKL engines have EGR, AEH doesn't.

Vacuum is used as source of power for actuation and control on very nearly every car in existence. All Leon's use vacuum assisted brakes, for example. In a petrol car the source of vacuum is the intake manifold, downstream of the throttle valve.

As for the original question, I was hoping someone with a 1.6 would step in. As far as I can tell, the EGR valves on the 1.6 engine are located on the exhaust manifold. Look for a small unit attached to the side of the exhaust manifold. It will have two pipes attached, one going to the inlet manifold and a narrower one going to a solenoid valve - this is the vacuum line, controlling the valve. To test if the EGR valve is causing your problem, detach the vacuum line and tape it up out of the way, plugging both open ends with cotton wool, tape or any other suitable plug, to maintain vacuum and to stop dirt getting in. You may well get the Engine Management Light illuminating on the dash when you do this.
Fair enough, looks like I stand corrected!
__________________
AMK R Tech Stage 1 - 250bhp 280lb/ft, Forge 007p, Autobahn TIP, EVAP + Rocker Vent to Atmos, Prosport Coilovers, Neuspeed 25mm rear ARB, JOM Front Strut Brace, Powerflex Dogbone + Topmount Bushes, Heko Deflectors, SEAT Projector Puddle Lights, Boot Tray
leon cupra r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 12:59   #12
Muttley
Catch that diesel!
 
Muttley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Kent
Posts: 4,414
Muttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many pointsMuttley has far too many points
marcuswomersley wrote

Hi Muttley, Ive looked at my EGR and the small air line goes to know where, it just danggle down next to the gear box.. Is that not right? Thanks

Certainly isn't right. It does mean your EGR valve isn't sticking though, it isn't being moved at all.

The vacuum line should go to a small solenoid valve. It's probably on the bulkhead and should have three vacuum/air lines and an electrical connector. On the 1.6 I think that the air line breathes through a small filter right next to the solenoid valve. I've not looked under the bonnet of a 1.6 though, so can't be much more help without pictures.

Could really use some help from someone who has a 1.6 here.....
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 15:25   #13
Irie
Full Member
 
Irie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Basingstoke
Posts: 226
Irie has 10 points
This is all I have to hand at the moment, is it any help?

__________________
Leon 1.6 16v - Cupra Seats - Fabia Rear Wiper - Aero Front Wipers - Partial de-badge - Painted interior handles - Dash Trim Kit
My Readers Ride: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=263233
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 17:01   #14
FASTER
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 336
FASTER has 10 points
it has a non return breather valve on it from what i remember! liitle black tube and that on the end! Bloody things are nothing but trouble! forever burning out
FASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 67
53 Leon SX, Aber1, adam cupra 20vt, Alexis27, Allan_84, Al_Cordoba_King, ashymcfc, bigb, chaz2449, CJRamze, csd_19, cupra-barn, cv.4114, Dan-Leon-08, danny20vt, Davidt1033, davie, Disco_Mikey, divvyd, doobs, Ellisium, FASTER, gac, gazrhys, GlanzaV, Goz, helidan, ijmok, Irie, J3PPY, JamieJay, JimmyCupra, Jirwin, JordieNE, jtrf, leon cupra r, Lion_h2k, marcuswomersley, Masterkm, minty23, Mk23078, MPJ88, mt audio, Murdered LCR, Muttley, neilopafc, nicabr, OJleon, Onni92, Phat Busted, phatchoonz1, PID, Richoscos, robbob, SaneDave, seatcupramad23, Seatmann, Skittletastic, SPLeon, swanseajack, szatkwon, tavi, tomica, torrotoledo, vladislav, Waddi
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:32.




Website © 2014 SEATCupra.net

Disclaimer: SEATCupra.net is not an official SEAT site and is not affiliated to SEAT in any way. Visit the Official SEAT Website.

SEATCupra.net are not directly responsible for information which maybe posted in this forum.
All content is viewed and used at your own risk. We do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed herein are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of SEATCupra.net or SEAT
All trademarks and copyrights remain property of their respective owners.