Fellow stage 2 dpf delete leon fr owner long term reviews

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Just thought i would start this thread, and find out every dpf delete owners opinion on the product?
This includes comparing it to different cars you have owned?
The economy side of things.
Mechanical faults etc after the dpf delete.
How the car is to live with.
People's opinions on over all performance
And how long people plan on keeping there dpf delete cars?

All experiences would be appreciated, as there is a lot of people drawn by the big power gains of stage 2 on a 2.0 tdi but are wary by possible negatives that could/have occured.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
I keep thinking how a DE-DPF TDI 170 would be a good little track day toy. great on fuel, so lots of track time, and good economy.

My mate had a Ptorque stage 1 vRS CR TDI he was doubling the amount of laps i was managing at the ring before refueling. I was only stage 2 TFSI(running 254Hp) then, and he couldnt keep up with me at all. It was the same when we swapped cars as well. i couldnt catch him in my car.

So my question is, how does a de DPF car perform in the real life acceleration times. Has anybody undertook them? Im huge into my track days. Petrols are perfect for track and my driving style, but it is a pain in the a$$ paying huge fuel bills.

Im thinking

30-130mph

in 3rd
20-40
30-50
40-60
50-70

in 4th
30-50
40-60
50-70
70-90

in 5th
40-60
50-70
60-80
80-100

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Best car have owned (owned a Corsa C and Ibiza FR TDI)

Economy is not the best get around 36mpg over the tank (Ibiza TDI 130 was a tool for MPG 50+ every tank)

NO mechanical faults due to DPF Removal

Car is good to live with, prefer is the ride was a bit smoother but thats suspension.

Overall performance is good but not mind blowing... quick for a diesel but still petrol equivelants have the slight edge not much in it though i would say especially up hills! where i would think the TDI would pull on them (astra VXRs and Leon Curpas as an example)

Probably keep it another year or so as its getting on 3yrs old in April now

Have got the revised EGR gasket in and seems to have solved the motorway stutter but still get it if i force it to do it by going up the rev range slowly and at around 3.5 - 4k rpm it has a violent stutter but only if im really slowly accelerating, not that i do that but just shows that its not perfect!

But overall its really good, good performance, good amount of kit on them as standard but if you put it up against a standard Astra VXR or Cupra into the higher figures it shows its still a diesel as seems to loose its edge.

Approx BHP: 230-240bhp Was 222.8bhp & 342lbft before exhaust and had mild map on
Now has full miltek non res exhaust and WILD map but RR wasnt available at time to prove figures

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Revised EGR Gasket works as you say but it can still be replicated if you go looking for it!, I think full Race EGR is only way to go forward.

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Best car have owned (owned a Corsa C and Ibiza FR TDI)

Economy is not the best get around 36mpg over the tank (Ibiza TDI 130 was a tool for MPG 50+ every tank)

NO mechanical faults due to DPF Removal

Car is good to live with, prefer is the ride was a bit smoother but thats suspension.

Overall performance is good but not mind blowing... quick for a diesel but still petrol equivelants have the slight edge not much in it though i would say especially up hills! where i would think the TDI would pull on them (astra VXRs and Leon Curpas as an example)

Probably keep it another year or so as its getting on 3yrs old in April now

Have got the revised EGR gasket in and seems to have solved the motorway stutter but still get it if i force it to do it by going up the rev range slowly and at around 3.5 - 4k rpm it has a violent stutter but only if im really slowly accelerating, not that i do that but just shows that its not perfect!

But overall its really good, good performance, good amount of kit on them as standard but if you put it up against a standard Astra VXR or Cupra into the higher figures it shows its still a diesel as seems to loose its edge.

Approx BHP: 230-240bhp Was 222.8bhp & 342lbft before exhaust and had mild map on
Now has full miltek non res exhaust and WILD map but RR wasnt available at time to prove figures

I agree mate as far as fuel consumption is concerned it is nothing on my previous car the ibiza fr tdi 50-60 mpg easy, with the leon i struggle to get it above 40 and usually sit mid 30's. My first car was a megane coupe 1.6 16v (52 plate), then an ibiza fr tdi (08 plate) which was mapped to 180. The leon is defo the best car out of all of them.

Performance wise i disagree slightly, i had a blast with an astra vxr a few weeks back that had a few light mods, and there was absolutly zero in it. Only pulling on each other on every gear change.

No mechanical faults to date apart from sensors that were blown when the state of tune was being done, i only really get the stutter at 80 in 6th for a brief sec. And also if going up hill very slowly feathering it to 3-3.5k revs it'll stutter a bit.

4 rolling road runs on WILD map are between 230.6- 244.0 bhp depending on temperature.

As others have said if VOSA comes in with these new regs, the leon will be put back to standard and traded in possibly for a new focus RS, but also will look at S3 and Cupra. Th e focus will need to be under £20k before i can justify but love the leon for an over all package, and for a diesel hothatch i don't think many other focused diesel hot hatches can touch it. :)

Anymore reviews?

Last edited:

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Performance wise i disagree slightly, i had a blast with an astra vxr a few weeks back that had a few light mods, and there was absolutly zero in it. Only pulling on each other on every gear change.

My made had an Astra VXR with Remus Exhaust about 2 years ago then he wrote it off, but there is a long bank near to my house and with the Astra VXR full of people (5 people) could hit about 10mph ish more than what mine can up that same hill with just me in!

So to me that car is slightly quicker than mine up a hill.....

On the flat we done some benchmarks when he had it so once i got mine to stage 2 i tried out the same bench marks and mine was just as quick and slightly quicker on some of them apart from the hill challenge, so not sure

Last edited:

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
thats put me off quite abit. i was expecting with the same power but more torque you would demolish a VXR which IMO are not that quick at all when standard. Guess ill just get another petrol then:(

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
thats put me off quite abit. i was expecting with the same power but more torque you would demolish a VXR which IMO are not that quick at all when standard. Guess ill just get another petrol then:(

the torque on VXRs are circa 350nms in standard tune, with remus exhaust they reakon they increase bhp by around 10 bhp (on VXR forums this has been proved on various RR runs) so that will also bump the torque figure up slightly.

Ive never had a play with a VXR since mine has been tuned to stg 2 but i think i would have the edge on the flat, its only up a hill where i thought the VXR was quicker......

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire

The one that i had a play against was a friend of a friends, and had some breathing mods, remus, lowered and HID's and a tuning box( which i think is actually a remap in a box, for example bluefin, but not 100%) so i think a standard one would be beat, i also played a while back with a 10 plate cupra which at the time only had a few thousand miles on it and was being driven by the salesman who sold me my leon, and in all honesty not that we went up to serious 3 figure speeds, but the fr had the edge, as when i was behind him a few times i had to let off the gas so i wouldn't tap his bumper, as i say not a lot in it and it was only a few thousand miles old but not bad!
Type R's are my favourite, have had a play with quite a few, latest being a white FN2(new shape) and even when he got the boot down before me , the leon pulled away about 4 or 5 car lengths when side by side, FR is also a good bit faster lower down than a 270bhp vectra vxr, and about the same into high speeds.

So the leon is in my opinion pretty quick, not super super quick like a lot of the petrol boys are used to, but i think on a short twisty track with the right handling mods it will have most cars on initial accelaration low down coming out of corners, as i find that's the leon tdi's trump card. And as you say on fuel it will be a lot better.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Why not get a Boc or Ibiza cupra 1.4 tfsi with 220 bhp on tap, on the track they look faster than the 2.0lt tfsi cupras.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
always good to know.

So you guys with the De-DPF delete, are you running any other mods other than the exhaust/stage II map. Anything like intakes, intercoolers or bigger injectors. Maybe for a stage 2+?

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Nothing else as yet mate, was running with a panel filter as intake's are not as efficient as on petrol cars, but after some logs and rolling road runs with and without panel filter, i was losing on average 8bhp and about 16 ftlbs of torque on 4 runs back to back.
Next step to go further is new injectors bigger turbo and then an intake and apparantly you will be seeing about 300bhp.
The only other mod i have got at the minute is an uprated clutch.:)

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Nope none of us yet

Im hoping to do Stage 2+ - Stage 3 next year with Big turbo,Clutch and Flyhweel,Injectors,S3 Intercooler and Mufflerectomy

But all Depends on VOSA

One think said the Ibiza Cupra/BOC and Fabia VRS launch incredibly well

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
im not a fan of turbo upgrades on a car, id prefer to leave that as stock but upgrade everything else.

Id be ok if it could make in the region 0f 260hp.

@Biggaddicted are you saying that with no panel filter at all, you lost power?

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
No with the aftermarket KnN panel filter i lost power without question compared to the stock panel filter,

With KnN it was showing in the region of 230.6bhp and 232.0 at 21 degrees in July
The same day without the KnN and with the standard panel filter, i made 238.9bhp and 240+(cant remember exact figure as do not have thay dyno run printed)

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
think i saw some guys on briskoda with cone filters attached to their PD170 with alleged good results iirc.

I wander what the PD170 stage 2 DPF delete would make if you upgraded the injectors? Is there a requirement for uprated intercoolers?

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
As far as i'm aware it is suggested when big turbo is installed. 240ish is generally the safe maximum for the standard turbo and injectors. Even a hybrid will not make any power gains. In comparison to a mate's KO3 golf gti, with turbo back millteck intake and stage 1 map on the same day, his car made 256bhp and my car made 242bhp on Dastek rollers. We never got to find out how it would translate on the road against each other as it was way to slippy, but after being in his car and him being in mine on a few occasions, upto 90-100 the tdi is quicker from a rolling start, but the GTI pulls a bit stronger past 130. Just to give you an idea VRSy

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
ive been in a custom code vRS De-DPF and ill tell you its not as quick as a stage 1 TFSI plain and simple. I believe he has since moved away to other software which he thinks is well ahead of the CC software.

The fact that you guys put it on par with a standard VXR proves that as i know from multiple experiences that a stage 1 TFSI has the legs on a std VXR everytime.

Im still very tempted though. What basis are you saying a hybrid will not make more power though? surely when they sdtart changing the compressor wheels etc to enabl it to flow more air, thenm more power is achievable. Also what turbo are guys upgrading to? any links to builds?

Sy

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members