Drill/dremel
Glue
Soldering iron (solder,flux)
2x two-poled sockets for brake light
2x 21w/5w brake light bulbs
Wire (5m)
Connectors

Time needed:

I spent about 2,5 hours modifying the sockets, and about 3,5 hours installing them. But I think you can do it a fair bit quicker as I had to figure it out as I went on with it.

Cost:

£5 for two sockets
£5 or maybe less for two bulbs
wires and connectors I had lying around, but I bet you can get them for a few quid.

20120214192708.jpg

First you need to take the lamp holder out.
The fog light socket is the lower one, furthest away from the connector.
Using the pliers, cut off some of the supporting plastic, so you're able to bend the earth poles to the side. Also cut off the positive pole a bit away from the socket.

20120217130514.jpg

To make the hole big enough for the new socket, I drilled from the backside. First with a 5mm, then 10,15 and 18mm! You can also use a dremel or something similar.

20120217134701.jpg

Solder a ~7cm long wire to the positive pole. Put the wire through and insert the new socket. A tip here is to insert the bulb so you can see about what height you need to fasten it at.

20120217134718.jpg

Making sure you've got the right heigth, glue it in place from the backside and connect the wire.

20120217145914.jpg

Now bend the earth poles back in towards the new socket, and solder them to it. This requires a lot of heat, as the solderability is low! Hard to get it done properly! Make sure you know wich pole are 21 and 5 watts, or make the wires long enough to be interchangeable.

20120217150054.jpg

Now do it all again for the second lamp holder.

20120217150224.jpg

Insert your new bulbs and you're ready to install!

20120217182801.jpg

You need to remove the plastic cover from the hatch, both pieces, center roof one and side of boot to get the wire properly hidden. Didn't take enough photos of this part, But connect to the wire thats for the running lights, should be next to a thicker brown(earth?) cable. If you use connectors and plugs, you can unplug at any time!

20120217185054.jpg

Wiring on the hatch

20120217192658.jpg

A good idea to check if it all works before you remount the panels!

20120217234710.jpg

with brake lights

20120217234730.jpg

with fogs

20120218235536.jpg

at night

20120218235607.jpg

night, side

If you have any comments or questions, please speak! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mobo and gdjohny

greck999

SLOW work in progress....
Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
I'm glag someone has posted instructions and pictures on doing this as i've been thinking of doing this for ages.... :)
But i've just got a few quick questions if you dont mind.
When routing the wire from the clusters in the boot, did you go through the rubber gromet thing then come out behind the roof lining then route the wire down the c pillar to the clusters on the quarter panel.
Also is the plastic trim easy enough to get off, just a bit of force with a flat bladed screwdriver...:p
Thanks again, great thread...

Neil.

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
I'm glag someone has posted instructions and pictures on doing this as i've been thinking of doing this for ages.... :)
But i've just got a few quick questions if you dont mind.
When routing the wire from the clusters in the boot, did you go through the rubber gromet thing then come out behind the roof lining then route the wire down the c pillar to the clusters on the quarter panel.
Also is the plastic trim easy enough to get off, just a bit of force with a flat bladed screwdriver...:p
Thanks again, great thread...

Neil.

Yes that's the route I used. Rubber grommet was a pain, probably used half an hour only at that one.. Down the c pillar yes. Plastic trim is a pain in the neck to undo and redo as well. I actually made a couple of small cracks. But I noticed that some previous owner had been inside doing done damage as well..

When finished everything wasn't a 100% perfect fit, but nothing I couldn't live with!

Hope that answers your questions. If you have any more, just shoot! :)

greck999

Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
That's great. Thanks for the reply. Maybe a job for the summer... No sore finger tips then.....:p

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
Thought I'd add:
Also I tried to do the math on this.. Was looking in the owners manual (and the .pdf copy LEE69 has linked to), still not sure what circiut the rear running lights are hooked up to.

Code:
P=UxI
5=12A
A=5/12
Meaning each extra 5W bulb will draw an additional ~0,42A, or ~0,83A in total.
If it's on the brake light circiut, that's an 10A, and there will be no problems. Otherwise, there are no circuits fused lower than 5A, and I think it should be ok anyway, thinking of the brake lights that draw 3,5A (+the LED bit(couldn't be to much)A) and they're on a 10A circuit.

Would be sweet if anyone could confirm wich circuit they are on!

Haven't had any fuses go yet!
Except when i shorted the boot light while undoing the panels. Cracked No. 14 wich has central locking, interior light and electrical windows on it. MAN was I worried for a few minutes :cartman:

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
When I saw the title I WAS getting ready to go "OH no not another chav addition".

But they look really good, work properly and a brilliant write up.

good job well done.

Thanks! :D
that beeing said, could the title be better??
Too bad I can't edit post #1..

Anywas, here's a daylight pic:

20120212135948.jpg

Don't be afraid to ask if something's not clear! ;)

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
After Reading your Thread I decided that as I cannot remember the last time I used the rear fogs I too would swap mine.

Before - Tail and Fogs on
2012-02-22195055.jpg

Halfway - Offside swapped
2012-02-22195209.jpg

Done - both swapped
2012-02-22195349.jpg

So basically so far I have used 5w side lamps to replace fog lamps. will be adding the wiring to make both function when the weather breaks.

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
I did what you did too, just to try it out. The day after I found myself driving through a blizzard, making me really miss my rear fogs! -true story.

That, plus I didn't want to drive around with my front fogs turned on all the time- nor is it legal! Hence the modification! :)

greck999

Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
Can u not take a wire from the side lights around the boot and to the fog light wire, and piggy backing that or would it not work that way. Also I'm not sure which wire is which....:(

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
Im really tempted by this love the look :)
Go ahead then! ;-) that would make you the second one in the world afaik! ;-)
Can u not take a wire from the side lights around the boot and to the fog light wire, and piggy backing that or would it not work that way. Also I'm not sure which wire is
i'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but you could leave the wires lying in the boot, yes. But then you'd need them long enough to open the hatch.that would be neither practical or nice.

And you'd need to change the bulbs and cut the fog wire...

greck999

Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
Sorry for not being more clear, but I meant taking a wire over the boot, like you did yourself, and connecting it to the fog light wire behind the boot.
Instead of popping in a new 2 pin bulb holder. Like what has been said before and doing away with fogs altogether..

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
Sorry for not being more clear, but I meant taking a wire over the boot, like you did yourself, and connecting it to the fog light wire behind the boot.
Instead of popping in a new 2 pin bulb holder. Like what has been said before and doing away with fogs altogether..

Ok, got it! Should work if you changed the bulbs, but what will happen when you pull the rear fog switch? Nothing? I'm not sure. But you'd still sacrifice the rear fog function. And that is a MOT fail? At least it is up here.

greck999

Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
Ok, ill give it a go the proper way. It's just that im having trouble sourcing a 2 pin bulb holder. I've tried a few places with no luck..

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise