No Power To Headlight? :/

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Bulb went in the drivers side dipped (or so i thought). Replaced it weith 2 new bulbs and none of them light up...

Anyone any idea what it is? All the other lights on that side work (side, main & indicator)...

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Loose connection/wire on the back of the dipped beam housing perhaps?

Can you elaborate at all fella?
On the back of the dipped bulb there is a little block connector that slides onto the 2 prongs on the bulb. Thats's on properly...

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Nope, not that either. There's no power into that block :/

That was the bit I was referring to. Can you track it back to it's power source at all? Hopefully it's something like a dodgy connector.

Might be worth checking the fuse although I think the whole headlight wouldn't be working if it was that.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
That was the bit I was referring to. Can you track it back to it's power source at all? Hopefully it's something like a dodgy connector.

Might be worth checking the fuse although I think the whole headlight wouldn't be working if it was that.

Not without taking the headlight out :(
By the looka of it the same fuse powers both full headlight units and more too. Had the fuse out and its fine.

Looks like a trip to the stealer in the morning... Just what I needed :(

Thanks though both of you! Appreciate your help.

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
If anyone knows where the seperate fuse is for that id be very grateful

If you thought you were confused before, this will send you loopy. Depending on what year the car is, the fuses are in different locations and not fully clear what they control.

Up to May 06
Fuse 5, 5A, Left and Right Headlights
Fuse 15, 7.5A, J519 (Supply Control Unit)
Fuse 25, 25A,, J519
Fuse 42, 15A, J519

From May 06
Fuse 2, 10A, Left and Right Headlights
Fuse 5, 10A, Right Xenon
Fuse 15, 7.5A, J519
Fuse 25, 25A, J519
Fuse 41, 20A, J519

From May 09
Fuse 1, 10A, Left and Right Headlight
Fuse 5, 10A, Right Xenon
Fuse 24, 20A, J519
Fuse 28, 30A, J519 (with Autolock)
Fuse 34, 25A, J519 (without Autolock)

These are taken from ElsaWin. My car is May 2010 but the Owners Manual shows the headlights as Fuse 2 but it was printed in April 2009. Apart from Xenons, it does not appear that the headlights have seperate fuses.
All these are in the fusebox at the end of the dashboard. It appears that on RHD models, the fuses number from RIGHT to LEFT.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
If you thought you were confused before, this will send you loopy. Depending on what year the car is, the fuses are in different locations and not fully clear what they control.

Up to May 06
Fuse 5, 5A, Left and Right Headlights
Fuse 15, 7.5A, J519 (Supply Control Unit)
Fuse 25, 25A,, J519
Fuse 42, 15A, J519

From May 06
Fuse 2, 10A, Left and Right Headlights
Fuse 5, 10A, Right Xenon
Fuse 15, 7.5A, J519
Fuse 25, 25A, J519
Fuse 41, 20A, J519

From May 09
Fuse 1, 10A, Left and Right Headlight
Fuse 5, 10A, Right Xenon
Fuse 24, 20A, J519
Fuse 28, 30A, J519 (with Autolock)
Fuse 34, 25A, J519 (without Autolock)

These are taken from ElsaWin. My car is May 2010 but the Owners Manual shows the headlights as Fuse 2 but it was printed in April 2009. Apart from Xenons, it does not appear that the headlights have seperate fuses.
All these are in the fusebox at the end of the dashboard. It appears that on RHD models, the fuses number from RIGHT to LEFT.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. My handbook shows Fuse 2 is for my light control unit but that's intact.
I've just run round to my local stealer and one of the chaps had a good look.
The fuses are all fine, so I need to book it in to be checked. He couldn't understand why one HL worked, but the other didn't. Especially as they're both powered directly from the light control unit.
I think it could be a blown relay, but that's pretty much foreign to me, so we will let them sort it out!

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Try this first....

I had the same problem, I fitted HIDs and the ballast went a bit funny and the light went off.

Replace with standard bulb to get me going until i ordered a replacement HID ballast. Put standard bulb in and it wouldnt light up at all!

With much checking of fuses and relays I decided to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to see if it would reset anything.

Re connected battery and it worked!

I think if it detects a short or something it shuts down the control until and it is reset when taking the battery connectors off for 10 mins.

Give it ago you have nothing to loose :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Natz85

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Try this first....

I had the same problem, I fitted HIDs and the ballast went a bit funny and the light went off.

Replace with standard bulb to get me going until i ordered a replacement HID ballast. Put standard bulb in and it wouldnt light up at all!

With much checking of fuses and relays I decided to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to see if it would reset anything.

Re connected battery and it worked!

I think if it detects a short or something it shuts down the control until and it is reset when taking the battery connectors off for 10 mins.

Give it ago you have nothing to loose :)

Question before I do... If I take the battery off for 10 mins, will my trip computer reset? And will I see any other effects after it, like having to re-pair my phone etc...?

Thanks!

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Question before I do... If I take the battery off for 10 mins, will my trip computer reset? And will I see any other effects after it, like having to re-pair my phone etc...?

Thanks!

Trip computer will reset (mine did any way). My phone was still paired. Clock will need resetting but apart from that it should be ok.

You may get a couple of lights on your dash when you first start it up but if you drive for about 100 yards they will go off (they are usually the power steering and tyre pressure warning light).

This is normal.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Trip computer will reset (mine did any way). My phone was still paired. Clock will need resetting but apart from that it should be ok.

You may get a couple of lights on your dash when you first start it up but if you drive for about 100 yards they will go off (they are usually the power steering and tyre pressure warning light).

This is normal.

You, Sir, are a :censored: legend! :clap::worship: It worked!

I now have my headlight back!

Strange one that, isn't it? No errors, but the system obviously knew there was an issue... Maybe it's so you take it to a stealer and they charge you ;) lol.

Thanks a lot pal! I'll know what to do in future! :D

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
You, Sir, are a :censored: legend! :clap::worship: It worked!

I now have my headlight back!

Strange one that, isn't it? No errors, but the system obviously knew there was an issue... Maybe it's so you take it to a stealer and they charge you ;) lol.

Thanks a lot pal! I'll know what to do in future! :D

Pleased it worked :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.